Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Windows Vista Tips and Tricks

Here's a few quick tips and tricks for Vista:

Instant Elevation - If you need to run something from the Start menu search bar elevated, instead of pressing Enter, press Ctrl+Shift+Enter. You'll get the UAC prompt, and be good to go.

Turning Hibernation On/Off - If you use Disk Cleanup to delete the Hibernation file, you will find that hibernation/hybrid sleep has been disabled. The only way you can re-enable it is through this command: powercfg -h on, just type that in the Start Search box, and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If you ever wish to turn it off, do the same, but use the command powercfg -h off.

Enabling Hybrid Sleep - If you like hibernation, but the quickness of sleep, Vista has a new option for laptops called Hybrid Sleep. To enable it, just head into Power Options in the Control Panel. Then click 'Change Plan Settings' under the selected plan, and then 'Change Advanced Power Settings'. Scroll to 'Sleep', and then 'Hybrid Sleep'.

Changing the Start Menu power button - Hate the fact that the power button defaults to Sleep, instead of Shut Down? To change it, just head into Power Options in the Control Panel. Then click 'Change Plan Settings' under the selected plan, and then 'Change Advanced Power Settings'. Scroll to 'Power Buttons and Lid' > 'Start menu power button'. Then click it to change it from Sleep to Hibernate or Shutdown.

Flip 3D on a mouse button - If you've got one of those fancy mouses that has more than 3 buttons, you can assign Flip 3d to a button. Just assign the command using the latest Razor, Logitech or Microsoft mouse software. Personally, I have it binded to one of the G-keys on my G15 keyboard. Keeps it handy!

Snipping Tool - One of my favorite new Vista features is the Snipping Tool. Found in Start > All Programs > Accessories, the Snipping Tool is like the PrtScr button on steriods. You can pick a window to make an image of for handy screenshots. You can also do the whole screen, or just an area. Save it as a image file, and your ready to upload.

Mass Editing Tags in Photo Gallery - If you wish to mass edit tags on pictures in Windows Photo Gallery, just select multiple pictures, and you can Right-Click for properties, and add your tags.
    -Monorail Man

• Senior Minion

Re: Windows Vista Tips 'N Tricks

So far the only thing I like for ease of use is the snipping tool - but still not getting Vista ...

•   
    • debating what to put here

Re: Windows Vista Tips and Tricks

I Just took the plunge today. Definitely a learning curve but nothing too daunting so far (famous last words).

Very pleased to find that AVG now supports Vista. Buh-bye Norton...
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post

Very pleased to find that AVG now supports Vista. Buh-bye Norton...
    I gave up on Norton long ago. I've used AVG ever since and will never go back to Norton.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

So is the consensus that its worth the upgrade or is it better to wait a bit for the bugs to work out
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Down Pluto!

Wait. Without a doubt - wait.

The need for an upgrade is in question, as XP performs well. Vista does nothing really new except force you to re-learn where everything is, how to get there, and how to perform the same familliar functions - differently. Differently enough to be annoying. One big step closer to being Windows Mac Edition.

It is sure pretty, but if you remember - so was Windows ME.

Never be the first one to buy a new model car hot off the assembly line. Best to wait on Vista unless you want to be a bugswatter for Microsoft. Most of us have work we need to get done and don't have time to play these sort of games.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

I really had no choice in waiting to upgrade. The Vaio I bought on Friday came pre-loaded with Vista. meh.

• Banned User

Oy I plan to keep XP forever!!
    oh and whats wrong with norton? I have used it for ever and love it. is there something I should know

• Minion

Other than it's a massive memory hog and impossible to uninstall without a major effort ?
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• no flash photography...

when I bought my laptop it came with the rebate for the free vista upgrade. I ordered it, but I doubt it will run well on the lap top. I really have no desire to play with it yet.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    I gave up on Norton long ago. I've used AVG ever since and will never go back to Norton.
    yeah...norton sucked...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    when I bought my laptop it came with the rebate for the free vista upgrade. I ordered it, but I doubt it will run well on the lap top. I really have no desire to play with it yet.
    Yeah my Dell came with the rebate and I did order it, but will likely wait quite a while before upgrading. Or maybe I'll install it on the desktop I don't use much and see how I like it.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfan View Post
    Or maybe I'll install it on the desktop I don't use much and see how I like it.
    The OEM licence that you get with the Express Upgrade copy only covers the installation on the machine in which got the free upgrade. The OEM keys are locked to that hardware, and activation on another machine will not be possible. It's just like if the machine came with Vista, it's non-transferable.
    -Monorail Man

• The Power To Do More

Norton Anti-virus is fine, but slower on updates, the problem is Internet Security for the reasons above and how it "commandeers" your system.

Monorail man i've got an OEM computer with an express upgrade, do you know if you can install Vista on a second hard drive and dual boot or if you have to give up XP? Also can you go back to XP if you don't like Vista? I'm reasonably well versed in computers but with all the restrictions on these upgrades, I'm not sure about this situation.

• Banned User

If I was to get a new computer, could I take vista off and down load XP ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast