•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Digital Camera Help!

I've been doing Internet research but it's all so confusing! (Can I plead being blonde?). I'm also somewhat limited as I have to buy it at Best Buy.

Basically I want a digital camera with decent zoom (whichever's the better one to have) that can take unlimited video. (up to the memory runs out, of course). Around $500ish or less.

And please don't tell me to ge a digital video recorder. I want to mainly take pictures, plus those are more expensive and bigger.

Thanks for any guidence!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    My Camera, a Fujifilm S5000 has a 10X zoom, and I am very happy with it.

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...vBarId=I616756

http://store.salestores.com/fufi3dicawop.html

Please note, this one came up frist on Google, it is just for the general price and description, I am not recommending you buy it from them, you might even find it cheaper if you look around...
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

My suggestion...go to Best Buy and try them all out. I did research and ended up buying the camera that I originally didn't want.

I have a Sony 5.0mp but I got that 2 years ago. My parents have a Kodak that they just bought. Both are great but I found that playing around with the controls and having them show me the quality of the print made my choice. Also since you are going to Best Buy ...do this. If you happen to find the camera you like, see if they have an open item for sale...you'll save at least $50 or even more. I got my $450 camera for $350 because a man returned it in to get the higher mp camera instead.

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    I've been doing Internet research but it's all so confusing! (Can I plead being blonde?). I'm also somewhat limited as I have to buy it at Best Buy.

Basically I want a digital camera with decent zoom (whichever's the better one to have) that can take unlimited video. (up to the memory runs out, of course). Around $500ish or less.

And please don't tell me to ge a digital video recorder. I want to mainly take pictures, plus those are more expensive and bigger.

Thanks for any guidence!
    Best Buy gift card eh?

Ok, there are a few things to look for.

First off be sure to look for the OPTICAL zoom level. The digitial zoom is totally useless and you should never use it. Why? Becuase you can do the same thing after the fact with your software and get a better final image.

Next is memory card type. CD/SD/SM/MS there are a lot to choose from. Each has plus and minus, Persoanlly I like SD due to it's small size but I'm sure others like CF. If you have any other digital equipment try and get a camera that matches so you can share.

Mega pixels are of course important. 5.0 or better is good.

I have been very happy with the 5.0 Mega Pixel Dimage X50 from Minolta. It has a fast startup time and takes very good photos, and OK video.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help!
    Yeah, I've been saving Best Buy gift cards to help pay for this sucker.
    Mrs Newsweditor, that is what I think I'm going to do. I wanted to have a few ones to look at. But I might just have to wing it. I can always return it if subsequent research shows whatever I get to be a dud.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Feel the breeze!

I myself highly recommend Canon cameras. The Digital Elph line is compact and, in my opinion, take good quality images.

I love my S230 and I know they have only gotten better over time.

• Minion

I'm in the market for a new camera also, but I would like something from the Sony family. I want to be able to take really nice shots at night (fireworks ) and decent video. I would prefer sony because I have a PSP and since it uses a Sony Memory Stick Duo, I wouldn't have to spend another $100+ on a good sized card. Plus I'd be able view the video and pics on my PSP

I would recomend the Canon Elph II (sd500) I have the sd300 (4.2mp) and they have the new procesor chip in them. Which means if you have a high speed sd card you can write to card alot faster, on top of that it takes awsome video because of the high speed writing ability (about 10megs a second). The only draw back is the zoom (3x optical and 3x digital for a total of 10x's) its is really compact and can fit in your pocket the pictures are awsome and the display on the back is really large. I can anwere any questions you have.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1087340765516

On sale for $315..

Or if you want to spend a bit less...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1087340765877

Just $239.99, but only a 6x Optical zoom, versus a 10x Zoom for the S5100
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• That's Hawt

I have a Canon Elph S400 4.1MP and I LOVE IT! It is really small, has a deacent zoom and was only about 300 bucks when I got it. It does take video but it isn't great at all ... but I figure that it is well worth the price for the quality of pictures I have gotten out of that thing. If you were interested, here are some of the Disneyland pictures I took with that baby! http://kidaftersunset.smugmug.com/ga...557/6/18935986
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bencantu
    I would recomend the Canon Elph II (sd500) I have the sd300 (4.2mp) and they have the new procesor chip in them...
    The SD 300 was actually on the short list I'd made. i'll check into the 500 as well.

DB, the bfirst link doesn't say how long the videos it takes are and the second stops at 4 minutes and has no sound. I wish Best Buy's site was more organized in that respect!

I might just break down and get the one my friend has. I don't want the same one as her but it's pretty much what I'm looking for.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    I have 2 digital cameras. One is a Canon PowerShot S30 and the other is a Kodak EasyShare CX7330. Both have the same resolution (3.2 megapixels). You're probably wondering why I have 2 with the same resolution. Well, My dad's work got himt he Kodak one for Christmas last year and he really didn't want it, so he gave it to me.

I like both cameras. Both take good pics and do what I need them to do. Eventually though I'd like to get one of those tiny, more lightweight ones I can just stick in my pocket, but until then I'm happy wit what I have.

It's all about presonal preference. Check out brands you trust and weigh the pros and cons of each one. Checking them out in person at the stores helps too as you can get an actual feel for them and all that.

Good luck!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries
    Well, I bought the Canon PowerShot ELPH SD400. I'm still deciding. The video I took at the store was fine, but I'm not sure if it's limitied. Some places say 3 min max, others say only in a certain movie mode. Ahhhhh. And, of course, if I open it to read the manual, I have to pay a 15% restocking fee.

I was also looking at the sony Cybershot DSC S60. But it took AA instead of Li-ion and the SD400 has three movie modes!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain