Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Exclamation iPhone only available for new AT&T Customers or Upgraders?

I was talking to some co-workers at work about some of the newer phones we (Cingular/soon the be AT&T) offer, and the topic of exclusivity came up. We do have some phones that are currently only available to new customers or people who qualify for an upgrade. You can't come in and just buy the phone at retail price...

A rumor is going around that the iPhone will be under a similar policy. There are so many people lining up to get the phone, that AT&T may reserve them for customers ready for an upgrade (who may also be the most likely to look at other wireless providers since their 2 year contract is up), or new customers. This is not set in stone, and may or may not be true.

If I find out anything more, I'll let you all know first!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: iPhone only available for new AT&T Customers or Upgraders?

Interesting. I still have my eye on a Blackjack though as iPhone is just going to be too expensive at first.

• Minion

Personally, I like the Blackberry Pearl more than the Blackjack. They both have their pros and cons. But currently, I have my Blackjack set to forward calls to my Blackberry lol.

As far as the iPhone and prices, I don't think it will be $600 at the time of purchase. There should be some incentive to lower the price, if only to atrract new customers.

• Knight of Naughtyness

Apple will control the price, and I don't think they will ever lower it to less than what the comparable iPod is selling for. In other words, if an 8GB iPod Nano is $249, why would they sell an 8GB iPhone which is a widescreen iPod plus a phone plus an internet communicator for less?
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• Banned User

I have a Sidekick and will never give that up, besides the iPhone is through AT&T and I love T-Mobile too much.

• Minion

Personally, I've always felt the sidekick was for kids. Bulky, Heavy, Low-resolution screen, subpar options for business minded individuals...

And there's the "image" associated with these devices. You see someone with a Blackberry or a Treo, you think success. Sidekick? Paris Hilton.

The iPhone is going to be the phone to beat for a few years at least.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Personally, I've always felt the sidekick was for kids. Bulky, Heavy, Low-resolution screen, subpar options for business minded individuals...

I totally agree, when I hear Sidekick, I hear, "I live in my parents basement"

The iPHONE looks amazing and offers things that have never been an option before. I wonder how many third party companies are ready to make accessories, etc. for it.

Hey Soul, can you offer your opinion about whether to get the first version available, or wait till the bugs get worked out. I am inclined to get the first one I can get my hands on, I think Apple puts out a good product, and I really like Cingular service, so I think they will take care of business. Just curious as to your thoughts.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    The iPHONE looks amazing and offers things that have never been an option before. I wonder how many third party companies are ready to make accessories, etc. for it.
    Why wouldn't they? You already know the 'apple' demographic pays more and looks to splurge for sometimes even irrational reasons. It's a plump market to tap for overrpriced accessories. Come on.. Apple sells SOCKS! There will be plenty of 3rd party bags, skins, etc.

Hey Soul, can you offer your opinion about whether to get the first version available, or wait till the bugs get worked out. I am inclined to get the first one I can get my hands on, I think Apple puts out a good product, and I really like Cingular service, so I think they will take care of business. Just curious as to your thoughts.
    Apple has a pretty good history of at least 'decent' first wave products. They will always have room for improvement, but you will not get a dud. Later revs will always be better and probably include things you'd really want.. but the first one will not be a lame-duck.

You see someone with a Blackberry or a Treo, you think success. Sidekick? Paris Hilton.
    Interesting thought.. RIM doesn't market to the 'hip' audience and they'll be the first to tell you that. They refuse to market certain options because they conflict directly with their largest customer's needs.. the US Government. The pearl is the first one to test that barrier. Now they've come out with Pearl's bigger brother with the full size keyboard.. but they still lack general multimedia features and that is intentional.

I don't know if I'd associate 'success' with someone carrying one.. more like 'work' Blackberrys are still vastly used for over-the-air mailbox synch. It's also why a large percentage of RIM users also carry a second phone. Later ones are better.. but several models have been abysmal phones.

The iPhone is going to be the phone to beat for a few years at least.
    Buzz phone.. but best product? I don't think so. It will be the 'wow' phone, but I still think its going to be tough to live with and not meet the masses needs. There are plenty of people that will buy them up.. but it's not going to be the dominate phone like even the latest Razr fad.

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    Apple will control the price, and I don't think they will ever lower it to less than what the comparable iPod is selling for. In other words, if an 8GB iPod Nano is $249, why would they sell an 8GB iPhone which is a widescreen iPod plus a phone plus an internet communicator for less?
    Exactly. The iPod functionality is going to keep the iPhone price point up.. plus Apple will always charge a premium.. and for the first year.. they'll have zero incentive to lower the price. The announced price is with a commitment as well... not even the stand-alone retail.

As far as the iPhone and prices, I don't think it will be $600 at the time of purchase. There should be some incentive to lower the price, if only to atrract new customers.
    Why would they? The phone will be the attraction.. and they have an exclusive. There is zero motivation to lower price.. and this is not the type of phone that is going to sell AT&T as a provider.. the phone is what is going to draw people.. regardless of who the carrier is. The carrier could be Moe's Wireless.. and the demo that is going to buy this phone in the first 12 months is going to buy it regardless. Plus the announced prices are with commits. What would be scary is what is the no-discount upgrade price?

• Banned User

It's really sad - I don't need an iPhone, because I have a 30GB iPod, but I totally want one, I can't help it. It's so shiny and pretty and cool.

But I think I'd want till the second gen to get one, not only because it'll probably be cheaper by then (and $600 is not cheap), but I'd want one with a little more gig space. Going down to 8GB after having 30 would be...hard.

Though I heard a rumor that in order to balance the high pricetag, they were going to offer some amount of service time for free - like, buy an iPhone, get Cingular service for six months free. Something like that. But I bet that would be restricted as to what plan you'd get, if you got that.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^^ I just got a 4GB Nano a couple months ago and I also have a 40GB Creative Nomad... but those iPones are so pretty! But I'll wait until a 2nd or 3rd generation one comes along. Hoping it'll be more in my price range by then.

• Just this guy......

I will not look at an Iphone until Version 2. There are always bugs in new hardware and I am not an AT&T fan.

• That Guy

Can one of you tech-Gods help me out with iPHONE internet specualtion?

I keep hearing it will NOT be 3G, which I guess means the net will be slow? Is that correct? I had a SPRINT PPC-6700 for a month, which I got rid of because it was too bulky, but the internet connection was SUPER fast, like browsing on my PC. Is it a given that the net would be slow on the iPHONE for the first couple of generations? I would be using it for a lot of email, so it would need to be able to produce.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

My BlackJack is EDGE. There is NO way I would compare it to desk top. Think slow dial up.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Banned User

The iPhone will be available through Apple Stores as well as Cingular/AT&T. There is a rumor that since Apple will not allow Cingular/AT&T to discount the phone, Cingular/AT&T will be discounting the service when you buy the iPhone. The iPhone will also be EDGE at first, but will probably move up to 3G in the future. I know there was a reason why they went EDGE with the first generation, but I can't remember what it was right now. At any rate, personally, I will be waiting until at least MacWorld 2008 before I buy one. I can't remember who it was, but someone has develped 32 GB flash chips, that could conceivably be used in the iPhone. 4GB and 8GB aren't enough for me, but mark my words, I WILL be an iPhone owner.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Can one of you tech-Gods help me out with iPHONE internet specualtion?

I keep hearing it will NOT be 3G, which I guess means the net will be slow? Is that correct? I had a SPRINT PPC-6700 for a month, which I got rid of because it was too bulky, but the internet connection was SUPER fast, like browsing on my PC.
    Edge = max 200kiloBITS/sec = ~25k/s with real world speeds about half that
    3G UMTS = max 2megabit/sec = ~250k/s with real world speeds about 1/3 of that

They didn't mention 3G at MW, so its highly unlikely it will be 3G. Different radios.. not something you swap at the last second. Edge is usable for WAP and smaller stuff (its bearable for even Google Maps) but its still pretty slow compared to 3G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast