Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Cool Vista Wow Factor

Howdy folks, Dustysage here. You might remember me from such threads as "I love Apple" and "Why Vista Sucks". Well, I'm here to tell you today that I had no choice but to upgrade my computer this week and the one I got came preloaded with Vista Home Premium.

So what does a dusty old sage think of Microsoft's new OS? Wow! I must say that I'm shocked and impressed. It was a breeze to set up. Automatically identified the network, set it self up based upon my system resources. So far, I'm super impressed.

I had no intention of buying Vista right away. I thought that I'd wait a year and just get vista with whatever new computer I bought at that time. But when my home computer crapped out on me forcing a quick puchase, this is what I ended up with.

I also have an Apple Mac Mini running OSX at home. I love it too for all the same reasons that I am enjoying Vista. These newer operating systems are light years ahead of the OS that I use at work, Win XP.

If you are in fear of Vista, don't be. It rocks. Is it better than Apple's OSX? That I'm not so sure about. I'd still recommend an Apple to anyone who is interested. But Microsoft Vista Home Premium is no slouch either.

It certainly seems to be the dawn of brighter days for computer users everywhere.

Dusty, over and out.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Re: Vista Wow Factor

I had to get a new laptop a couple weeks ago and the one I got had Vista on it. So far, no problems. I love it actually. And its so so so pretty.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• The Unknown Princess

I also think there's a major difference of those that are pre-loaded with Vista and having to upgrade to Vista.

Thanks for letting us know how you felt about Vista because I did have some concerns about having to buy a laptop (my next big purchase) that came with Vista.

I did get to play around a bit with Vista in the stores but I still think I'll wait for at least the first batches.
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

--------------------------------------------------------

• Minion

Vista is alright with me as well, but i've had two problems with it so far. iTunes hates Vista, or vice versa. And My CD/DVD drive failed to work twice, so I had to do a System Restore. Other than that, Vista makes my new laptop look pretty swank.

• Winter in Oceanside...

I would love to upgrade to Vista. Normally I am a Mac person and Vista looks much closer to the superior Mac OS (my only anti-PC dig, I promise). But if I do upgrade to Vista, I will then need to upgrade all my software. I just don't have that kind of dough right now.

Glad to hear (from a Mac person) that Vista is good stuff!

• Banned User

as said, upgrading is the issue..

if the system was designed and comes pre-installed with it... it will work!

if you upgrade their are chances it will not work.

(vista is OS-X in disguise )

• Minion

Your the first person i'v heard yet to compliment Vista yet Dusty
    I'v never used it, but I have a question for you.
    How do you like your Mac Mini? I'm considering getting one later this year, which one do you have?

• Pilot EdForceOne

The issue is the resource intensity it has. Upgrading is such a pig because your computer of 2 years ago is such a slouch compared to the latest CPUs and video cards. Your 256mb of RAM may have been fine on XP by your standards.. but Vista would laugh at you.

Of course your new machine has current gear to support Vista.. but its still bringing the performance way down compared to what it could be. Vista is neat, but Microsoft targeted it a bit high in the intensity factor IMO. As the years go on, it's early days will soon be forgotten.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I'm really a big fan of Vista, too. I was quite pleasantly surprised when I discovered that fact. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    As the years go on, it's early days will soon be forgotten.
    See: Windows XP

At the time, everyone was complaining about the 128MB requirement for good operation. However, today, 128MB is nothing.

The same will be the case for Vista in the next year or so. Most machines are shipping with a Gig standard, and 2GB as an 'upgrade'. I have a feeling that soon the standard will be 2GB, with 4GB (the max addressable space by x86 platforms) being the upgrade.

Also, I just picked up a new machine with Vista on it. One thing is that computer makers are using more main-stream parts and boards right now, because of the established companies have better Vista drivers.
    -Monorail Man

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    See: Windows XP
    Yes, but XP could still run on mid-range machines, and even older machines quite well.. vista on the other hand really needs the most modern stuff right now and nothing less.

We loaded it on a T41 IBM Laptop in the lab and the machine might as well be a brick. 512, 1.8gig (if I recall) PentiumM which is a perfectly fine XP machine... putting vista on it bricks it.

If you can accept these requirements... you're fine. Those who think they should just upgrade.. are in for a suprise

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'll still take my Win XP Media Center Edition for now. I'm already planning on a MacBook being my next computer purchase though. They're so pretty!

• Banned User

mac book, boot camped with vista

we all know vista was based on mac, and designed for a mac..

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

It seems that each time a new Windows operating system debuts, there are dire reports of big problems and such. When I was running Windows 98, I actually avoided and dreaded XP from all the stories of major failures, crashes, incompatibilities and potential barn fires. (OK... not really that last one.)

Then my computer suddently expired.

So, I had to get a new one and the new ones were all loaded with XP... the system I'm using at this moment. Never a problem. It's easy and intuitive. I've decided to stop being afraid. I'll probably stick with XP because it satisfies my needs. But, when the time comes, I look forward to Vista... or whatever other OS Windows is peddling when this computer goes belly up.

Sorry to hear about your sudden loss, Dusty. But, I'm happy to hear that you're so pleased with your new one.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I'll still take my Win XP Media Center Edition for now. I'm already planning on a MacBook being my next computer purchase though. They're so pretty!

Same here!!! I can't wait to get my hands on one...when the time is right of course (Frenchy would kill me )
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast