Thread: Palm T/X

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Palm T/X

Dear all,

Well, I think I found the Palm to replace my ailing Palm Tungsten T2. My criteria were as follows:

I can check email in some manner whilst on the road.

Daytimer/organizer

Preferred to keep the Palm OS, so I don't have to transfer everything over.

An ability to read and compose Word documents.

--using that, I did some major research. Strangly, most do not recommend any kind of Pocket PC or items running Windows mobile. Apparently, they still have too many bugs. My Palm still is great for composing stories on the road without having to lug my ancient laptop.

I guess I'm posting to see who might have heard or seen or have the Palm T/X? Anyone?

Figured I'd ask.

peace!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Palm T/X

I don't know much about Palms. Have you considered a Treo? I love mine. They run Palm OS. I don't know if they can do MS Word. They have web access, and they're a cell phone. So you now have one gadget instead of two.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Yeah, I have thought tremendously about the Treo--but it's on a different phone service and I have a great deal going with my current cell server. That and I'm not sure I want to combine my phone and my organizer--that way if one defaults, the other will keep going, ya know?

peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I don't know much about Palms. Have you considered a Treo? I love mine. They run Palm OS. I don't know if they can do MS Word. They have web access, and they're a cell phone. So you now have one gadget instead of two.
    The Treo is a Palm device. My boss has one. She is on her second device. She has had a few issues with the email working properly.

Roo, here is a CNet review of the T/X.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

:: scratches head ::
    :: looks at back of Palm ::

Hey! I have a T/X!

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking -- but basically, I like my unit quite a bit.

It will let you check email (provided you use outlook, which I don't, so I haven't used the feature). And synchs quite nicely for to do lists, calendar and contacts. You can create and edit Word (or text) documents, view PDFs, the whole works.

I'm pleased with the purchase.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Thanks for all this input...I guess my concerns now are (can you tell I'm not an impulsive kinda guy?)

1. Will I have to reenter all my info from my Palm Tungsten T2? Or will it just transfer over?

2. How well does the wifi pick up a signal? My laptop has a bear of a time--but rumor is that the T/X is quite fast. I ask because time is limited when I'm on the road--I'd love to just check emails at those free wifi locales in the airport or at Starbuck's, ya know?

3. I have web-based mail--how good is it at using that?

4. Anything else anyone else can report!?

Peace, as always,
    the Roo

• Down Pluto!

I do all that and more with my Motorola Q. My work issued it to me and now I'm always connected 24/7 to email and the web and by phone, and...

On second thought maybe it's not such a good idea.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post

1. Will I have to reenter all my info from my Palm Tungsten T2? Or will it just transfer over?

2. How well does the wifi pick up a signal? My laptop has a bear of a time--but rumor is that the T/X is quite fast. I ask because time is limited when I'm on the road--I'd love to just check emails at those free wifi locales in the airport or at Starbuck's, ya know?

3. I have web-based mail--how good is it at using that?

4. Anything else anyone else can report!?

Peace, as always,
    the Roo
    Okay.

1. I'm not an expert at using the PDA. I got my T/X to replace a defunct Tungsten E. IIRC, all I had to so was reinstall the palm software and it automatically moved my stuff to the new unit (based on the backup of the old unit that lived on my PC). The important stuff (i.e. my personal data) moved over just fine, though I had a few quirks with a couple applications. When a problem came up, I just reinstalled the ap and things work fine now.

2. I don't use WiFi; when I use the capability on my unit, it's mostly hooked up to my home wireless network. It's hard to quantify how long it takes, but it never seemed like a long wait.

3. Your web-based mail will depend on the browser you're using as well as the webmail ap. When web pages are too difficult to read, I use the handy function that changes the screen from vertical to horizontal orientation, and that makes things easier.

Hope that helps a little!

• See you there!

If I had to replace my Tungsten E2, the T/X is the one I would replace it with.

You should be able to just HotSync the data from the old Palm to the new one (through your desktop or laptop) so you should have very little manual re-entry of data.

As for the other qestions, well I don't currently use the Palm WiFi, or email so that owuld be something for me to learn as well. But from my experience learning new features on Palm OS devices is not too difficult.

IHIH

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Well, I did it. I purchased this puppy, got 'er up and running and I love it. We stayed at a Hampton Inn at my cousin's wedding, with free wifi and I recieved emails as needed. It was great. Even used it to map stuff, store it and get moving.

The question is now, is there a mobile or PDA version of Micechat? That would be nice to check stuff here as well. It keeps telling me "the page is too large to load."

Figured I'd ask.

Peace,
    Roo

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    Well, I did it. I purchased this puppy, got 'er up and running and I love it. We stayed at a Hampton Inn at my cousin's wedding, with free wifi and I recieved emails as needed. It was great. Even used it to map stuff, store it and get moving.

The question is now, is there a mobile or PDA version of Micechat? That would be nice to check stuff here as well. It keeps telling me "the page is too large to load."

Figured I'd ask.

Peace,
    Roo
    Great, glad you like it!

BTW: What map stuff?

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Needed to find a restaurant. Researched it prior to losing the wifi at the hotel---and cut and pasted a brief, crappy map onto a memo page to find what I needed.

I'm still tinkering. So, anyone know how we can have micechat mobile?

peace,
    Roo

• no flash photography...

micechat mobile is a style option you can change at the bottom of the page. I run MC mobile on my blackberry, but my axim can handle the regular pages...

the axim has GPS...I use the map thingy ALOT..

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Thanks SCUBabe. You rock, as usual.

Peace,
    Roo

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Um, I'm a bit lost on how to activate it on the road, however.

I SO need a head transplant.

Peace,
    Roo