• Oh my Goodness!

Windows XP Outlook

Ok. I may be really dumb - but I'm not sure what to do. I have Microsoft Outlook on my computer. I haven't used it at all because I didn't see a need. I have been using Outlook Express for my email tho. I just got a new phone that has the feature to sync w/ my Outlook to put my contacts etc. on the phone - which I would really like to do. However when I open Outlook I get a window that pops us that asks for the Microsoft Exchange Server and the Mailbox Name. I don't know what it wants. And it won't let me do anything else....any ideas?

Re: Windows XP Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by cpdisneyprincess View Post
    Ok. I may be really dumb - but I'm not sure what to do. I have Microsoft Outlook on my computer. I haven't used it at all because I didn't see a need. I have been using Outlook Express for my email tho. I just got a new phone that has the feature to sync w/ my Outlook to put my contacts etc. on the phone - which I would really like to do. However when I open Outlook I get a window that pops us that asks for the Microsoft Exchange Server and the Mailbox Name. I don't know what it wants. And it won't let me do anything else....any ideas?
    I am by far NOT an Outlook expert (don't even use it). But it sounds like Outlook wants to be associated with and email service and is asking for the server name of whoever you use (AOL, Yahoo, Gmail, whatever). This is probably the same info that Outlook Express is using to connect and handle your email right now.

But I would think that Outlook can run without being associated with an email service. Can you just ignore the message? Is that an option? Also...what version of Outlook are you using? 2000? 2003? 2007?

You might want to consider switching over your email from Outlook Express to Outlook. Once you've set up the server address and such, I think there's a way to transfer all your Outlook Express files over to Outlook.

But perhaps someone more expert can chime in here?

An exchange server is an enterprise level mail solution by Microsoft that runs on a company's server.

Outlook will function with other, non-exchange server, services as well (SMTP, POP, IMAP, etc).

Is this your personal computer (i.e. doesn't belong to your company)?

Do you have a full Microsoft Office License (Word, Exel, etc)?

If you go to your Start menu, then "Settings" and click "Control Panel" you will see a bunch of control panels like "Mouse" and "Date and Time." You should also see one called "Mail." Double click on this control panel (mail). The control panel that opens will have a section at the top called "E-mail Accounts", click the button "E-mail Accounts..." This will open a new window that will give you a selection of tasks, choose "Add a new e-mail account" and click the button "Next >". Select "POP3" and click "Next >".

On this page you will fill in your mail server information from your Internet Provider. You can also find this information from Outlook Express under accounts.

Once this is configured and you launch Outlook you will be able to import your Outlook Express mail, address book and settings but choosing "Import and Export" from the "File" menu and then follow the instructions after selecting "Import from another program or file"

Hope this is helpful, feel free to PM me in the A.M. (PST) and you can give me a call at work and I can help you further.

Yes I have encounterd that problem before as well. Then Again. . I am only 14 and am already getting to know the computer and all of it's programs inside out