Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

What is Linksys?

Is Linksys an actual broadband company or would I need a company like ATT Yahoo or Roadrunner?

• Bionic Village Babe/RCMC

Re: What is Linksys?

As far as i know you need another broadband company, linksys only provides routers etc. I use a Linksys router to get internet on my computer, it gets it's feed from my mum's computer, earthlink.

Bionic Village Babe of the RCMC
    "Wisdom is knowing what you don't know" - Socrates

• Just this guy......

You know you could just Google them rather than wait for an answer here.

However,

Linksys, a division of Cisco Systems, Inc. They are best known for their wireless hardware. Their hardware works once your broadband get inside your house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    You know you could just Google them rather than wait for an answer here.

However,

Linksys, a division of Cisco Systems, Inc. They are best known for their wireless hardware. Their hardware works once your broadband get inside your house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys
    Your definition is correct, however wikipedia is not a reliable source whatsoever.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by <3WillTurner View Post
    As far as i know you need another broadband company, linksys only provides routers etc. I use a Linksys router to get internet on my computer, it gets it's feed from my mum's computer, earthlink.
    Thank's, and I loved that you said mum!
    And, I know I could look around, but I did and I was still confused, so that is why I asked on here...

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    Thank's, and I loved that you said mum!
    And, I know I could look around, but I did and I was still confused, so that is why I asked on here...

No Problem. Glad i could help. They really are only known for their wireless hardware, (i use).

Yea i can understand i was pretty confused about it at first when we were deciding what to do with our internet

• no flash photography...

they make routers. Wireless and wired..

it's nice to have a wireless router. I can use the lap top or axim all over the house and outside.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    they make routers. Wireless and wired..

it's nice to have a wireless router. I can use the lap top or axim all over the house and outside.
    my linksys router is not reliable. I lose connection more often than actually having one.

• no flash photography...

my linksys router is not reliable. I lose connection more often than actually having one.
    we don;t use linksys routers, but cordless phones and microwaves can cause intermittent service. We got rid of our wireless phone and it's been fine. We also updates the bios...or something...anyway, it works wonderfully now.

Hmmm.. maybe we should try that, also the interference bothers our doorbell

• Minion

Thanks for the info. I live in a small apt and moving to another one, so it looks as though I may not need linksys yet. I was just looking into it earlier b/c my internet company said I would not have coverage at the new place, so I was frantically looking for a new provider. I called back an hr later, and they do have coverage. The person who told me didn't know what she was talking about!

Yeah. Most likely nothing to do with your Linksys router. Could be interference. Sometimes relocating the router helps. Might also try changing the router's channel number.

Those cordless phones can really have an impact causing you to lose signal. Dosn't matter if it's Linksys, Netgear, D-Link...they all use the same standards and all are effected.

Had a friend always losing internet at their small apartment. I went over to check it out and sure enough, it was their cordless phone. They had some new and expensive Panasonic equipment. I went to Radio Shack and bought them one of the old 900mhz frequecy cordless phones for $29. They've never had a lost WiFi signal since.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I live in a small apt and moving to another one...
    I've often recommended to folks moving into condo or apartment complexes...to see if they pick up an existing relatively strong WiFi signal from a neighbor. Sometimes you can figure out who that neighbor is by the SSID (like "Karen's Wifi" then look at the mailboxes for a "Karen"...that sort of thing). You can then approach that neighbor and ask if that WiFi is theirs and would they mind sharing it (free or paying a token amount).

Can't begin to tell you how many successful "connections" we've made doing this. My latest success story was when I recently suggested it to an artist friend that just moved into an apartment building in Burbank. I went over to her place and scanned the SSIDs and figured out who a couple might be...and first attempt...BINGO! The guy was happy to give her his WiFi key and he didn't want a penny. She's on a really tight budget so that's going to save her not only the cost of DSL...but also the monthly cost of a regular landline from the phone company! Now because of the free "piggyback"...she doesn't need a landline at all...and is only going to use her cell phone for voice calls.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    I've often recommended to folks moving into condo or apartment complexes...to see if they pick up an existing relatively strong WiFi signal from a neighbor. Sometimes you can figure out who that neighbor is by the SSID (like "Karen's Wifi" then look at the mailboxes for a "Karen"...that sort of thing). You can then approach that neighbor and ask if that WiFi is theirs and would they mind sharing it (free or paying a token amount).

Can't begin to tell you how many successful "connections" we've made doing this. My latest success story was when I recently suggested it to an artist friend that just moved into an apartment building in Burbank. I went over to her place and scanned the SSIDs and figured out who a couple might be...and first attempt...BINGO! The guy was happy to give her his WiFi key and he didn't want a penny. She's on a really tight budget so that's going to save her not only the cost of DSL...but also the monthly cost of a regular landline from the phone company! Now because of the free "piggyback"...she doesn't need a landline at all...and is only going to use her cell phone for voice calls.
    Hmm, very interesting. Today I picked up a "linksys" network and my comp logged me right on. The only way to find out my neighbours is to talk to them, which isn't bad, but the neighbour's next to us are very suspicious. With loud parties and a very "strange" smell coming from their storage area!

• Just this guy......

Sorry to come across so hard in my first post. I didn't mean to.

Also when working with "linksys" or any other wireless system and/or router change the password and/or give it a password. It is just good security and prevent headaches down the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast