Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Tivo? Is it better than cable dvr?

I just moved from an apt where I could get satellite to an apt where all we can get is cable (to many trees and buildings). Anywho, we LOVE our dvr and want to have it in the new place, but it is going to cost a lot with the cable company (Time Warner). Would we be better off getting Tivo instead of the cable companies dvr?
    Any help would be great! I have 2 days before they come and install the cable!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Re: Tivo? Is it better than cable dvr?

We have to TiVos here hooked up to cable. (We got them before Comcast offered dvr here.) I don't know if you'll save any money, because you will have to pay a monthly fee for a TiVo subscription after you buy the TiVo box. (Though TiVo usually has some great deals.)

While the TiVo lacks the integration to your cable that you'd get with the dvr, the extra features (like wishlists and home networking, for example) more than make up for it in my opinion.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• World Traveler

We have two TiVos ... a series 2 and a series 3 (HD) and we love them. Unfortunately, the S3 does work with satellite as they need cable cards. TiVos are very easy to use and have lots of features that we love.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I have never tried Tivo so my opinion is really one sided but I've never gone wrong with our DVR at home. We get all of our shows and it always remembers to record only the new ones so we don't get all the messy reruns. (Unless we tell it to of course)

• Clearing my Calendar

Bryan and I received TiVo as a gift several years ago, when they still did "lifetime subscriptions". I think I heard they discontinued that service. Regardless, my opinion is going to be skewed because we don't have to pay a monthly fee.

I love the TiVo! When we housesit for my parents, I can't stand using their cable DVR. It doesn't have the same features and it seems counter-intuitive to me, after being a TiVo junkie for so many years.

Both work great for recording shows, keeping track of the season passes, and reliability.

But I definitely prefer the TiVo hands down. It has a much more user friendly interface in my opinion and it has a lot of added features that their DVR didn't. Like grouping the shows into one folder, prioritizing the season passes, and wishlists, to name a few.

I know this kind of late, but wanted to throw my $.02 in!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub View Post
    Bryan and I received TiVo as a gift several years ago, when they still did "lifetime subscriptions". I think I heard they discontinued that service. Regardless, my opinion is going to be skewed because we don't have to pay a monthly fee.

I love the TiVo! When we housesit for my parents, I can't stand using their cable DVR. It doesn't have the same features and it seems counter-intuitive to me, after being a TiVo junkie for so many years.

Both work great for recording shows, keeping track of the season passes, and reliability.

But I definitely prefer the TiVo hands down. It has a much more user friendly interface in my opinion and it has a lot of added features that their DVR didn't. Like grouping the shows into one folder, prioritizing the season passes, and wishlists, to name a few.

I know this kind of late, but wanted to throw my $.02 in!
    Really? So if I I was in the mood to watch an old movie, say "It's a Wonderful Life." I could add it to my Wishlist on Tivo and if it ever came on it would record it?

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Friend of mine that had Time Warner switched to Satellite because they raised the rates on the DVR and started adding charges!!!

Given the worst customer service, excesive charges on soemthign that is nearly 100% profit and their reputation. You might be headache free going with a satelite!!!

If you have an HDTV, you might want to check on who offers the best HD packages too.
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by goofygoof View Post
    Friend of mine that had Time Warner switched to Satellite because they raised the rates on the DVR and started adding charges!!!

Given the worst customer service, excesive charges on soemthign that is nearly 100% profit and their reputation. You might be headache free going with a satelite!!!

If you have an HDTV, you might want to check on who offers the best HD packages too.

I do have a HDTV...hmmm Okay, I need more suggestions, this might be something to consider switching too. LOL Our cable bill is 150.00 on a good month!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Really? So if I I was in the mood to watch an old movie, say "It's a Wonderful Life." I could add it to my Wishlist on Tivo and if it ever came on it would record it?
    Yes! Or if you liked a particular actor or other performer, you could build a wishlist around him. Jimmie has a "Josh Groban" wishlist.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
    Yes! Or if you liked a particular actor or other performer, you could build a wishlist around him. Jimmie has a "Josh Groban" wishlist.
    Whoa, I need to price this stuff out, we are such tech geeks. Although admittingly more computer related, we still love our home theater system. Thanks for the information, I'll be checking that out today!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Okay, I found the Tivo website but I'm a little confused. Tivo is just the recording box, we still need to keep our cable correct? Also, since I pay extra for the High Def on the cable, will I need to keep that or does Tivo provide that?

Because unless I'm reading this wrong, comparing to what I would remove from my cable bill, I would be paying the same amount.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I have never tried Tivo so my opinion is really one sided but I've never gone wrong with our DVR at home. We get all of our shows and it always remembers to record only the new ones so we don't get all the messy reruns. (Unless we tell it to of course)
    Same here. And its only an extra $7 a month for it! I have it set to record my soap every day (and if it isn't on, it doesn't record it).

• no one to be trifled with

Blog Entries

Okay, I found the Tivo website but I'm a little confused. Tivo is just the recording box, we still need to keep our cable correct? Also, since I pay extra for the High Def on the cable, will I need to keep that or does Tivo provide that?

Because unless I'm reading this wrong, comparing to what I would remove from my cable bill, I would be paying the same amount.
    So you pay cable for programming, cable box rental, HDTV service. No matter what.

Then, you pay Tivo for a box ($hundreds, one time), and the monthly access service, or
    you pay cable co. for dvr rental/service. (monthly only.)

I'll bet it comes out close to the same. Tivo has slightly better features with slightly less "integration" to the system. (You have to set up the tivo box to talk to the cable box to change channels if you don't have a "cablecard" system, etc.)

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Westley View Post
    So you pay cable for programming, cable box rental, HDTV service. No matter what.

Then, you pay Tivo for a box ($hundreds, one time), and the monthly access service, or
    you pay cable co. for dvr rental/service. (monthly only.)

I'll bet it comes out close to the same. Tivo has slightly better features with slightly less "integration" to the system. (You have to set up the tivo box to talk to the cable box to change channels if you don't have a "cablecard" system, etc.)

Thanks! The inital investment isn't that horrible but your right about it being close to the same. Although for the features it gives you it might be worth it. I'll have to talk to my honey about it and see what he thinks.

I appreciate the information!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by goofygoof View Post

I HATE cable, but we have no other options unless we go tv free... Had 2 different companies come out to see if they could put sat up, and neither could find a good signal. They said we would have 3 or 4 channels and that's it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast