• Banned User

HELP! Need to buy new desktop...need your recommendations!

Hello gang!

Last night we had a power outage in the neighborhood, and it fried my mother board. I had a 3 yr old HP desktop and when I called their help line last night, they said it was the mother board based upon it not starting up, and a flashing green light in back and no motor running. ??

Anyway--I am at the library and wondered if anyone has ideas for a new computer? A desktop computer, not a laptop. I looked at Consumer Reports and they gave Dell high marks. What do you think?

Thanks!

• Banned User

Re: HELP! Need to buy new desktop...need your recommendations!

P.S. I already have the monitor that works great, so, can I buy just the box? (I am SO computer illiterate, I don't even know what it's called!) haha!

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I have no advice on what kind of computer you should get, but I do know that you can get the computer seperate from the monitor. Its not always apackage deal
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

I believe you can just replace the motherboard. Janine, also look for Computer Source magazine in your area. You can usually find it in grocery stores where all the free newspapers and mags are (just inside the door). There are tons of places around you that sell computers without having to buy the "whole" computer. My hubby use to do that all the time and build his own computers.

Edit: Here is one hubby used the most. Hard Drives Northwest

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

I'm having the same problem with finding a good computer. My coworker and IT guy suggested I research several websites. Make sure you have a 64x2 processor or higher, 512 MB of memory, 125 GB of storage, DVD/CD rw, front facing USB ports, & Windows XP.

Word is that Dell & HP are probably your best bet. You're like me, you don't need the whole computer so luckily you can buy just the box!

Be sure to ask around too. That's what I've been doing. Price comparison is important too. I'm still holding out for a better deal!

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

isn't basically buying a new computer just as price efficient as buying and replacing the motherboard? Plus you get a new warranty, newer better parts than your old and less dust lol...

i've had the best luck with Dell, don't be afraid to deal with them and negotiate, they'er pushovers. ask for any hidden special coupons they can apply to the purchase too
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• World Traveler

I can also recommend Dell. We have a few of them and so far, so good.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I'd look into replacing the motherboard first. Computer parts aren't that hard to replace. The big thing is remembering where wires go, and many can only go into a few (if not only one) place. You should even be able to buy a motherboard from HP if you are unsure of buying one on your own. A new motherboard would also mean you don't have to do any sort of transfer of data to the new machine or swapping out hard drives.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I'd look into replacing the motherboard first. Computer parts aren't that hard to replace. The big thing is remembering where wires go, and many can only go into a few (if not only one) place. You should even be able to buy a motherboard from HP if you are unsure of buying one on your own. A new motherboard would also mean you don't have to do any sort of transfer of data to the new machine or swapping out hard drives.
    Exactly.

Janine, were you able to verify that your power supply is still good? That is something else to consider. It's also a cheap thing to fix.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

There are pros and cons with both ways to go here.

It would be somewhat cheaper to just replace the motherboard, although that is probably one of the most expensive parts of the machine. ( Depending on the type and model, a logic board can go for $700 just to replace that).

If you just replace the motherboard, they you won't have to worry about tranfering over files from the old drive but..... after a power surge, is the motherboard the only thing that was damaged? Could damage have extended to the drive. Or could there be moderate damage, that could cause you more problems down the road?

Your current machine is already 3 years old. Thats not that old by computer standards really, but I'm guessing that is no longer has any warrenty. If you did get a brand new machine, you would be starting fresh with a new warrenty and the most current system.

So... do you want to just patch it and keep it running a bit longer, then 2-3 years from now think about upgrading to a new system, or do you want to just start over now? As far as price goes if its only the motherboard replacement of that (including labor) might be a bit cheaper, but only if there is no other damage to the machine. With school starting soon a lot of computer companys are running some pretty good specials right now. You might want to get a cost estimate of the repair vs. replacement and see which way you really want to go.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Dell is good but they can be expensive.

I have an eMachine and haven't had a single problem in the almost 2 years I've had it. It runs Windows XP Media Center Edition.

• back in Austin

I live right in the heart of Dell-landia (Austin/Round Rock) and I've usually supported the home team by buying Dell products. I've been quite happy with them over the years.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by mistyisjafo View Post
    Make sure you have a 64x2 processor or higher, 512 MB of memory, 125 GB of storage, DVD/CD rw, front facing USB ports, & Windows XP.

~512 MB is not NEARLY enough. 1 GB at minimum. 2GB if you get Vista.

~125GB storage? Do they even make hard drives that small anymore? Shoot for 300GB to 500GB.

~Good luck finding XP on a "new" computer. They all come with Vista now. If it doesn't - it's not new, it's old overstock they have to get rid of.

The rest of that list is good.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Banned User

Thanks everyone! I went to Best Buy and Circuit City. Best Buy had a nice HP for about $550. That is just the PCU. So, I may go for that. Right now I am using hubby's laptop from work. Yay !!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    Thanks everyone! I went to Best Buy and Circuit City. Best Buy had a nice HP for about $550. That is just the PCU. So, I may go for that. Right now I am using hubby's laptop from work. Yay !!
    You know, I'm glad you posted this...I was going to go to Best Buy this weekend and check out their desktops. If they are that price...that works for me.

Oh and did you get it?