Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• That Guy

ANy News on Next Generation iPHONES?

I am trying to be patient, but I really want an iPHONE. I read somewhere that they are going to have an 18 gig model out in December, at a lower price, but that is just like the rumors we here about DLR....not worth much...

Also, for the AT&T experts, I have heard that one smart move is to 'upgrade' with a different phone and also buy an iPHONE. That way you can sell the brand new 'free' phone on ebay, and just keep and use the iPHONE. Is this right? I feel like I may have the details wrong.

• That Guy

Re: ANy News on Next Generation iPHONES?

One more separate question (not worthy of a thread) .

I need to buy a phone to last me until I get my iPHONE. In the past I have done well via eBAY, getting an unlocked phone, throwing in my SIM card, and calling it good.

Do you guys know of a better way? Also, if I purchase a RIM phone, or similar data device, can I call AT&T and add on data service? Will they allow that? Do you HAVE to get your devices through them? What would a data plan cost via AT&T if I buy some random data phone?

Other than the iPHONE, which is the best phone for AT&T where I can surf, email, etc? Thanks very much!

• Pilot EdForceOne

You do not have to buy the device from AT&T to use it.. for data or voice.

The data plans cost the same regardless of where you got the phone.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    You do not have to buy the device from AT&T to use it.. for data or voice.

The data plans cost the same regardless of where you got the phone.

Thanks very much!

So if I do buy a PDA type phone, I just call AT&T with the model number, or something, and get a data plan?

Do you have any recommendations on a good PDA phone? I wonder if I should just officially upgrade with AT&T, since you don't get a deal on the iPHONE, I can just get that when when the newer version comes out.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

They'll need the IMEI number of the phone.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Thanks very much!

So if I do buy a PDA type phone, I just call AT&T with the model number, or something, and get a data plan?
    They need the number from the phone which works as the universal unique ID for the phone.

Do you have any recommendations on a good PDA phone? I wonder if I should just officially upgrade with AT&T, since you don't get a deal on the iPHONE, I can just get that when when the newer version comes out.
    Hrmm.. I'm not a good source for that because I'm not a big believer in the smart phones. The size and miserable battery life just turn me off too much. Blackberries lure me the most, but that's because we have enterprise blackberry in my company which gives true 'true-sync' over the air mail/contacts/calendar/etc. Using things like google maps, etc is pretty decent on them as well.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

I am trying to be patient, but I really want an iPHONE. I read somewhere that they are going to have an 18 gig model out in December, at a lower price, but that is just like the rumors we here about DLR....not worth much...
    All rumor. Apple doesn't usually cut it's own profits so soon though. I wouldn't count on it. Maybe a year or so down th road.

Also, for the AT&T experts, I have heard that one smart move is to 'upgrade' with a different phone and also buy an iPHONE. That way you can sell the brand new 'free' phone on ebay, and just keep and use the iPHONE. Is this right? I feel like I may have the details wrong.
    That's right. Since the iphone is sold at the MSRP, it doesn't void your upgrade eligiblity status. You can still buy a phone at the upgrade price and buy an iPhone later.

[quote=Max Fischer;2077730]One more separate question (not worthy of a thread) .

I need to buy a phone to last me until I get my iPHONE. In the past I have done well via eBAY, getting an unlocked phone, throwing in my SIM card, and calling it good.

Do you guys know of a better way? Also, if I purchase a RIM phone, or similar data device, can I call AT&T and add on data service? Will they allow that? Do you HAVE to get your devices through them? What would a data plan cost via AT&T if I buy some random data phone?
    You can get a phone through a third party and get data service from AT&T. Depending on the phone, the price will vary. Blackberry data plans are $10 cheaper than Smartphone data phones (Treo's, Samsung Blackjack, HTC 8525, etc).

Other than the iPHONE, which is the best phone for AT&T where I can surf, email, etc? Thanks very much!
    Blackberry. Hands down.

• That Guy

Soul & Co.

What are your thoughts on refurbished phones? Is it a good deal, or not so much? Do they work? From what limited info I know, they get a tune up and a new screen, in theory you cannot tell they are used.

Which blackberry should I get?

Thanks!!

• That Guy

Can someone tell me this:

I don't know if the work IT nazis will let me install black berry software on my PC. Will it work as a stand alone internet device? Like say I buy a plan, etc. but I can't connect it to my laptop, can I still browse the net, get my gmail, work webmail, etc?

I see a bunch of cool blackberrys, should I get that, or a device that is 3G?

Sorry for the dumb questions, thanks.

P.S. Shoudl I order over the net or phone? Are there any specials or disounts not listed that I should ask for?

• Minion

Soul & Co.

What are your thoughts on refurbished phones? Is it a good deal, or not so much? Do they work? From what limited info I know, they get a tune up and a new screen, in theory you cannot tell they are used.

Thanks!!
    Any of the newer blackberry's are great. They all pretty much do exactly the same thing, but have different perks. The Blackberry Pearl is slim and looks more like a regular phone. The 8800 is sexy, but doesn't have a camera, and the Blackberry Curve has the best camera and multimedia support. The Screen on the curve is a little sharper than the Pearl, and media menu looks similar to an ipod rather than an ugly list of folders. My advice is to go to an AT&T store, and check them out in person.

Can someone tell me this:

I don't know if the work IT nazis will let me install black berry software on my PC. Will it work as a stand alone internet device? Like say I buy a plan, etc. but I can't connect it to my laptop, can I still browse the net, get my gmail, work webmail, etc?

I see a bunch of cool blackberrys, should I get that, or a device that is 3G?

Sorry for the dumb questions, thanks.

P.S. Shoudl I order over the net or phone? Are there any specials or disounts not listed that I should ask for?
    Discounts only really apply if you're doing a new 2 year contract. The best way to negotiate price is in person at a store, but usually we don't carry refurbished phones.

You don't need to install blackberry software on your computer to use your phone, but it sure does make things easier in terms of installing third party apps, swapping files, etc.

3G is only a big deal if you want to watch streaming clips of television shows on your phone.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

On the Apple site, you can currently buy refurb iPhones for $399 for the 4 gig, $499 for the 8 gig. Both ship free and come with the same warranty as new ones (1 year). You can add an additional year warranty for $69.

We've bought a number of laptops and desktop computers from Apple as refurbs and have never had a problem. When you see a product at the Apple on-line refurb section, you pretty much have to buy it then, because the stock situation is often completely different by the next day.

Yes, we're an iPhone family. I have a 4 gig, Rick has the 8. We've had Macs since 1984, so we are the choir, for sure, but I love the iPhone, because it is as intuitive as a Mac. Every function, every setting, follows an intuitive, logical order, that would be hard to **** up.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

It depends on what you need. The only Blackberrys that have cameras are the Pearl (1.3 megapixel... the Pearl 2/Comet will have a 2.0 camera) and the Curve 8300 (2.0 megapixel w/ flash). The 8800 has GPS (my boss has this one and he likes it a lot). The 8820 that's coming out soon will have wifi and the Curve 8310 will have GPS.

I'll be getting myself a Curve when I can upgrade my current phone in a couple months.

• That Guy

Thanks very much for the info, guys, I appreciate it.

I think I will try and get the Curve. I just emailed our IT guys to see if they will install it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Collapse the waveform

Keep in mind that if you buy an unlocked device that isn't supported by ATT you will have to find and enter the data settings yourself.

I've done this on 3-4 phones and it can be complicated.
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

• That Guy

Thanks I emailed our IT guys and they said they cannot install it on my work laptop. That sucks, they are so lame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast