Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• T'zambezi makes me sneezy

MACs vs. PCs--where's the love?

So I'm part of an illustrator's forum and someone posted asking for advice--whether they should get a Mac or PC. Everyonce posted that this lady should get a Mac, even though she had learned on the PC. I was the only dissenting voice--I told her that if she's used to a PC, she ought to go with that (and visa versa). I'm proffecient in both, and they seem pretty much the same to me.

Boy was I flamed. I had a bunch of posters down my throat, telling me how stupid I was, how Macs are so much better, etc etc...The doosie was when one of them told me that the reason Pixar had so much better animation that Dreamworks was because Pixar uses Macs, and Dreamworks uses PCs. She really said that. I didn't have the heart ot tell her that Pixar uses linux-based software, same as Dreamworks.

So my question is this: Is anyone else sick of the Mac vs. PC debate? Am I the only one who thinks the only difference is that Macs look cooler, and PCs need a roller-ball mouse? I can do all my work (Photoshop, Illustrator, Painter) just fine on both. Why are people so fired up over something so dumb?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: MACs vs. PCs--where's the love?

Macs are preferred by a lot of people who use them for graphics & music.

PC's are more compatible with everything,b ut Mac is slowly starting to come around now that they have dual-core processors.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Apple were the computers I first learned how to do things. And I thought they sucked. Then I was raised on PC and loved it (most of it for the games). But now at work, I use a mac with a built in PC. I use the mac part for the work and the pc part for email and webbrowsing (i find it so much better on PC and easy to navigate for some reason).

So if you ask me, I like them both for very different reasons.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Winter in Oceanside...

I was trained (graphic design) on a Mac, and I've had Macs since the 80's. They used to be better than the PC platform, but I think PCs have caught up. I still prefer to use a Mac because that is what I'm used to, but all the graphics programs run equally well on Mac or PC. I have found web browsing easier on a PC, since most websites are geared toward that platform.

I own a PC and a Mac notebook.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    I was trained (graphic design) on a Mac, and I've had Macs since the 80's. They used to be better than the PC platform, but I think PCs have caught up. I still prefer to use a Mac because that is what I'm used to, but all the graphics programs run equally well on Mac or PC. I have found web browsing easier on a PC, since most websites are geared toward that platform.

I own a PC and a Mac notebook.

Although I don't own a Mac - but several PC's - I was trained in Graphic Design on both. Neither is easier or better in my opinion, as it is about the software. Some software performs better on a mac and some better on a PC. But design is design is design - regardless of the machine or software.

Since I trained on PC's for Electronics and Programming, I understand PC's better. That the mac wants to do everything for me and I have no idea where things actually are located (or if they are an actual program or only a link to a program) or where my files really reside, drives me nuts. I am an orderly guy (although you couldn't tell from my desk) that likes to know such things. My mac friend says just don't worry about it and go with the flow, the mac will take care of you. I pointed out that now I understand his addition to macs. Some folks want easy and don't want to know - just do stuff, while others want to do stuff and be in control of the entire process from beginning to end.

I just prefer not to use or have a mac because I find them creepy in that strange sugar-daddy kind of way. What I really don't like are mac zealots yapping like Jack Russell terriers about the virtues of the enlightened mac and how PC users are ignorant savages. I also don't like zealots of any stripe touting their preference as gospel. Just leave me alone and let me use what I want, and I will return the favor - we will never agree, so let's not waste the time and emotions. Let's just focus on doing the cool stuff - regardless of whether it came from white or beige...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    That the mac wants to do everything for me and I have no idea where things actually are located (or if they are an actual program or only a link to a program)
    That's funny because this is the exact problem I had when I first began learning PC's! I saved or downloaded the file, now where did it go!!?? Again, it is just what you are used to and learned on.

With the exception on what type of software you primarily need...it's pretty much a matter of personal preference. Both have their pros & cons...

• no flash photography...

I use a pc for graphic design. When I was taking graphic design in school they wanted us to use macs. i hated them. I did all my work on my home PC and printed at school. they had no idea and I got all A's.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

That the mac wants to do everything for me and I have no idea where things actually are located (or if they are an actual program or only a link to a program) or where my files really reside, drives me nuts. I am an orderly guy (although you couldn't tell from my desk) that likes to know such things. My mac friend says just don't worry about it and go with the flow, the mac will take care of you. I pointed out that now I understand his addition to macs. Some folks want easy and don't want to know - just do stuff, while others want to do stuff and be in control of the entire process from beginning to end.
    This is probably the biggest reason I like my Mac. It just has a certain simple elegance that I really enjoy.

I have found that many who are PC illiterate think the Mac will just think for them more than I believe they will. That and the "no" virus thing. Macs aren't virus proof, it's just nobody uses them.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    That and the "no" virus thing. Macs aren't virus proof, it's just nobody uses them.
    I haven't had a virus in nearly ten years. 1998 was the last virus. Sure people still imbed them in emails and tagged to files - but if you use your brain and good software, they are less a bother than a damaged hard drive. The virus thing almost doesn't count anymore.

Are you really saying nobody uses macs?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I haven't had a virus in nearly ten years. 1998 was the last virus. Sure people still imbed them in emails and tagged to files - but if you use your brain and good software, they are less a bother than a damaged hard drive. The virus thing almost doesn't count anymore.
    Which is why I won't recommend a Mac to anybody who thinks they are virus proof. It will just be a matter of time before somebody decides Macs are a worthwhile target. If you aren't going to take care of your PC, you aren't going to take care of your Mac.

Are you really saying nobody uses macs?
    Yes. I like my Mac, but I'm not oblivous to the real world.

• Banned User

After spending considerable time with both systems, I can say without any reservations that Macs are lightyears ahead of any PC. Does that mean that PC fans are knuckle dragging cave dwellers? No, of course not. However, every argument in favor of PCs that I have seen either seems to come from a resistance to actually learning to use a Mac, or mistaken beliefs/myths that said person has clung too. Either way, I don't see it as being too big of an issue for very long. Every day PCs become more Mac-like while Macs become more PC-like, so eventually the difference will probably be asthetic only.

I will, however, still favor Macs.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Macs are lightyears ahead of any PC. Does that mean that PC fans are knuckle dragging cave dwellers? No, of course not. However, every argument in favor of PCs that I have seen either seems to come from a resistance to actually learning to use a Mac, or mistaken beliefs/myths that said person has clung too

• Pilot EdForceOne

I'll keep this simple.. I've owned or used every generation of Macs. I've owned 512kes, Plus' modified with Hard Drives, the original Mac Portable, several II series, IIsi, 630CD, others.. clones (which kicked the snot out of apples at the time), iMacs, iBooks... just about them all. I remember when multi-tasking was a 3rd party add-on to MacOS!

I use PCs

I got sick and tired of being the red-headed stepchild of the internet.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I got sick and tired of being the red-headed stepchild of the internet.
    Ah, but some of us enjoy standing out. One man's red-headed stepchild is another man's Van Gogh, or Churchill, or Jefferson, or Vivaldi, or; well, you get the idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast