Third Party Applications on the iPhone

I have come to understand that some of the objections for purchasing the iPhone was the lack of compatibility with Third Party Applications.

Well, that will soon change:

Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.
    It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target.
    Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.
    We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.
    Steve
    P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch. [Oct 17, 2007]
    Personally, I am very excited about the potential offerings of this update.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Third Party Applications on the iPhone

still reeks of 'no software unless apple approves it' type model :thumbsdown:
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Very true...

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I got my Blackberry Curve this week and I LOVE it. It does everything I want it to do and more.

Very nice! Congrats!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I installed the Opera Mini browser and now I have full internet just like the iPhone. Well, not "just like", but pretty damn close!