• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Laptop battery help

So I grabbed my mom's laptop in the crazieness of last week. It's starting to do funny things now. Like say weird things when I go to certain websites (like nano's and then re-directs me to a ask.com with "searched for Nanowrimo sites and then nanowrimo.org is right there!), but its on the floor, plugged in, and anytime it moves for some reason it goes to battery. And then I spend about 5 minutes figuring out what happened. I didn't un-plug it but then it's acting like I did, so I have to adjust the cables and such and play with the cords. Like it did it right now and I touched the power cord and I am in battery mode. Whats going on and how do I fix it? It's annoying as heck!

• MC State Comptroller

Re: Laptop battery help

It sounds like you have a couple of problems with it.

First, you didn't tell me what kind of Laptop you have or OS that is on it, so i can't really diagnose the web problem. You may want to clear the history, check your internet opitons for security and cookies, clear temp files and, i know this may sound stupid, but check to make sure the url is typed correctly. Do a google search for the website and confirm.

Second, sounds like the DC in- board may be tweaked since you said when you move the machine it goes to battery. If that's the case, your going to need to take it to a reliable (read: not geek squad) repair facility to have it fixed. If the unit is under warranty then you can ship it back to the manufacturer and they will fix no charge, as long as it's not user caused damage.

That'll be $75.00!
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Disneyholic

Is the power supply cord loose or does it just seem to stop working when you change position? It could be the cord or you may need to have the power connector resoldered on the main board as described above. One way to check is you can buy one of those "battery boosters" from APC at OfficeDepot and see if that fixes it (the booster's power cord replaces yours going into the laptop) if it does problem solved and you have an extra 3-4 hours of bater life for the next big trip. If not return it and send the laptop off for service from a center that is authorized to work on it by the manufacturer.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I am thinking and this just... Kim on the verge of screaming because... 2 days ago the power cord/pluggy thing into the computer plastic casing wire was really hot around the plug part/ the computer. Now I was trying to cool it down with my hands only for it to bend at a weird angle. So I put it back and yesterday it was "just have to be in this weird position" and I got a charge. Then last night in a "dude... trying to put a square peg in a round hole moment with my grandparents printer, I moved the position and now the cable is requiring me to hold it in this weird position and stay there. But because I cut my nail too short and the position's too stiff (really firm grip etc) I am thinking what happened is the cable inside is broken. Is that possible?

• Disneyholic

Its probably the power socket is coming loose from the circuit board. I would recommend calling the company who made it and explain it to them, they may have you send it in or take it to a repair depot. Failure to do so may void any coverage and cause more damage to the computer over time.

BEFORE you give it up... pick up an external backup drive that comes with its own software, maxtor has their one touch series, and backup all of your data, you may never see it again otherwise since most of the time they will simply swap out the whole computer rather than repair it.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...