• Mischievous Mouse

Laptop lid light switch?

So my old laptop, (a Gateway MX6025) has been replaced. One of the reasons I replaced it is that the lid started doin a funny thing about a year or so ago. You open it up to a 95+ (_/) position to the keyboard and turn it on, if you just slight start to move the lid toward closing, the backlight goes off. I tinkered with all the power/hibernate/screensaver settings I could find to no avail. Once this problem occurs, you must close the lid all the way, then reopen it carefully a few degrees beyond 95 > (_/) being careful not to pull it back by accident and the backlight will stay on.
    I'm thinking of opening the screen to see if there is a switch inside that is loose or something. There is no outside type switch so it must be something inside. Should I just leave well enough alone, us it as a back up. For the kids. And not mess with it?
    Any thoughts? Advise?
    I would appreciate any constructive input.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Re: Laptop lid light switch?

When you say you have tinkered with the settings...have you tried: Start/Control Panel/Display/Screen Saver/Power Button/Advanced...and then "When I close the lid of my portable computer" select "Do Nothing" from the pull down menu...then hit "Apply?"

There could also be another switch disable option in your BIOS.

But it sort of sounds like a loose connection or something hardware/hardwire related, to me.

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    When you say you have tinkered with the settings...have you tried: Start/Control Panel/Display/Screen Saver/Power Button/Advanced...and then "When I close the lid of my portable computer" select "Do Nothing" from the pull down menu...then hit "Apply?"
    Yes, a long time ago I did this. Didn't change a thing.

There could also be another switch disable option in your BIOS.
    I didn't know, but I'm nearly 100% certain it's hardware related.

But it sort of sounds like a loose connection or something hardware/hardwire related, to me.
    Question I have is, if I take the six screws out of the front frame on the screen(lid) and separate it and look inside is it going to spring apart and be challening to reassemble if I try to take a peek at the "switch" (or whatever) and see if it's a simple fix? I have no idea what to expect. It's not gotten worse over a year, just the same, so it's not a wearing wire , it's a consistant repeating issue. I'ts not worth spending money on, but I don't want to make it worse. I'm debating leaving it alone or diving in to explore.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Mischievous Mouse

Just a follow-up, if anyone is interested.

I finally found the time, I took the six screws out of the frame of my Gateway laptop, I looked things over, I saw nothing in the way of a switch, I removed a support bar at the base of the lcd panel, looked under it, nothing, peeked behind the screen nothing, then put the support bar back on and cinched all the screws tightly. Then I replace the frame. I figured, well, I tried to fix it anyway. Then I powered it up. To my amazement the problem was fix.

I can only guess that it was a something that was loose there, maybe the base bar?.
    I just really don't know what it was. But it's fixed.

-Walt Disney

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    Just a follow-up, if anyone is interested.

I finally found the time, I took the six screws out of the frame of my Gateway laptop, I looked things over, I saw nothing in the way of a switch, I removed a support bar at the base of the lcd panel, looked under it, nothing, peeked behind the screen nothing, then put the support bar back on and cinched all the screws tightly. Then I replace the frame. I figured, well, I tried to fix it anyway. Then I powered it up. To my amazement the problem was fix.

I can only guess that it was a something that was loose there, maybe the base bar?.
    I just really don't know what it was. But it's fixed.
    There is a ribbon cable that is spiralled and goes through the hinge, and goes to a connector at the LCD edge. If you wiggled this connection so it made a better mating fitting when you opened and closed it up, that would do it.

If this happens again, pop the screen bezel open and CAREFULLY unplug and re-mate that connection. If that doesn't work, get the base case open and re-mate the other end. Should do it.

Last resort is replace the cable if it breaks from fatigue going through the hinge - don't constantly open and close and adjust the screen... If you use the laptop in a car, get a vehicle mount with a lid support arm, so it isn't vibrating or flexing a lot.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1