•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

What is this program?

I am trying to listen to some audio online. When I click the link, a pop up comes up and won't let me continue until I accept its terms.

The box says: "Soon you will be surfing the Internet with the latest enchancements available." review the terms and conditions, press to close the window and continue installation. There is a hidden option to say no.
    The program has no name, it says NFC, inside blocks.

It's now affected my entire Windows Media Player - I can't open Media Player w/o installing this first!

Do I need to uninstall then reinstall MP? Will that ersae all my playlists and such?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• That's Hawt

Re: What is this program?

You need to be REALLY careful ... that sounds like a virus ... I would recommend fully uninstalling WMP and then re-installing it ... I am pretty sure that you will lose your playlists though. It may be a lot easier to switch to iTunes at that time too ... if you need to re-create your playlists anyway. I have found iTunes to be much more stable on my computer than WMP ... good luck and let us know what happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

It could just be malicious spyware. I'd reccomend installing and running Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/) and Spybot - Search & Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html) to see what programs might have infected your computer. Ad-Aware is a lot easier to use, but it won't get everything. Both have free for personal use versions available on the aformentioned sites.

Windows Media player, like most every other OS applications, is a pain to completely uninstall. Winamp is a great application for listening to music and has playlist support: it's also simple and free. And as Miceman said, there's always iTunes.

You also might want to read through this page and see if your problem is similar:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/comp...c/60292-1.html

The fix mentioned here seems lengthy, but not completely undoable.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Ahh, an easy fix!

First, you will not lose your custom playlists (these are stored in the "My Music\Playlists" folder), and we're going to backup your media library first. So, let's go on a quick uninstall spree:

(Note: First you will need to turn on "View Hidden Files", and uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files" in "Tools -> Foler Options..." in any file explorer window.)

. Close WMP.
    1. Backup your Library, by heading
    to "C:\Documents and Settings\[Youre User Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player".
    2. In this folder, you will find the files titled "CurrentDatabase_###.wmdb" (the # stands for any combination of number or letter.) Copy these files to the desktop.
    3. Now, run this registry file (when asked, click "Yes"). This will add a "Windows Media Player" listing to the "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel.
    4. Now head to the "Add/Remove Programs", and remove "Windows Media Player" (Note that you may have to click "Show Updates" on a SP2 machine).
    5. After that's done, restart your computer.
    6. Now, run 1 or many AntiSpyware Programs, Spybot, AdAware, and Microsoft AntiSpyware (My Personal Choice). Clear anything out you can. After installing these, it would also be smart to run them in Safe Mode (hit F8 as your computer boots up to get into safe mode).
    7. Now, boot back into regular Windows, head to "Start -> Run...", and type "sfc /scannow". This will resore all Windows DLLs to ones that have not been compromized. (You may need your Windows XP CD)
    8. Now head to the Windows Media Player site, and install WMP.
    9. Copy back the files that you copied in step 2.
    10. Run WMP, and you should be set!

And FYI: We all have our personal choices for what programs we use on our computer. However, when a user asks a question, don't just recommend other software. Just as if your car broke, I would not say "Well, Jeep sucks, so trade it in and go buy an Audi". Try to answer the question at hand. If it's a question thread, such as "Which is the best media player?", then recommend all you want, but if there's a specific question, then attempt to answer it.
    -Monorail Man

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ad Aware and Spybot didn't find anything. Norton did and deleted it... and now wmplayer.exe is mysteriously disappeared!! So it looks like I've lost everything related to that anyway. Oh well, it could be worse! I did go in and try to reinstall and it said that another program was in the middle of installation. Hmm, we'll see what happens after I reboot!

And I tried to use itunes a long time ago but it wasn't compatiable with my system (Win ME). Maybe that has changed. I used to have Win Amp as my default, though now I can't remember why I changed it It was working just fine earlier. Maybe I'll try using that for awhile.

Thanks again!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...