• Still lost in Neverland

Hard Drive Crash, Again!

So I have two Hard Drives. One for Windows and program files. The second one is bigger and has all my data, picture, movie, etc files. Tonight I was using Movie Maker to save a movie I had just put together to Drive F. It was about half way done when a deep blue screen came up and said that Windows had detected something that was a possible harm to Windows and so it had shut down and I should restart the system if this was the first time this screen had appeared. I pressed the restart button and while it was doing it's start up it stopped at Drive C the Master Drive, the jumped past Drive F the Slave Drive and found the floppy drive, the cd drive, the DVD Burner Drive and the Scanner. When Windows came back up with no problems I clicked on My Computer and everything came up except drive F. It's like it's not there anymore. This is the same thing that happened last year that eventually led to a complete computer failure as Windows plus the Program files were all on one drive. Now I can still access the internet and get my email, but I just don't have my drive with all my data and pictures on it. I get so frustrated with all these problems, and I don't know what or how to fix it if it can be repaired. A friend of mine used Windows to repair a crashed drive one before and it worked, but I don't know how he did it. I had two drives then as well, and again the data drive was the one that crashed.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Just this guy......

Re: Hard Drive Crash, Again!

Sorry to hear about your problems. I don't know if this will help but I have used File Scavenger to pull data off of bad hard disk. It's trail version works great. The software is by Quetek.

http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

Thanks for the link. I did try that and it managed to recover about 800 files. But none of the art files I was hoping to save. None of the Word Documents either which had a lot of important stuff. I don't know why, but at least it worked for some picture files. I will try to recover other stuff tomorrow. I am too tired now to play around with it.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Why don't you call geeksquad and see if there is anyway they can give you advice over the phone?

I don't know if they have a service fee, but I think you may want to give them a try too.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

hey Lost boy,

I'm sorry about your drive. That sucks man!

May I suggest Media Fire? If you have a very import file or pictures that you want to have backed up you can upload anything and you have unlimited space for free. the only limit is that no one individual file can be over 100 mb. Another one you may want to try is ADrive which gives you 50 GB of space for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

That sucks!

Sounds like it might be time to invest in an external hard drive to keep a backup of all you stuff. I'm planning on getting one to store all my photos and mp3s on. Will free up a lot of space on the desktop PC.

I do have a USB External storage device that works like a hard drive, but no moving parts. I am using that now to save stuff on until I can get a new HD. I really lost a lot of data on this one, and I can't afford the Geek Squad anyway. Russ, who built the computer is aware of what happened and since he is a Tech expert in everything PC, he will hopefully be able to do something about it. That Scavenger has recovered only those 800 or so picture files. I know there are tons more, and a lot of DOC files, but it can't find them or can't read them. So I have done everything I can at this point.

Thank You Poisonedapples

I went to Fry's this morning and got a Western Digital My Book 500GB External Storage Drive. Easy to hook up. Runs real quiet and I have transfered the stuff on the USB stick. So far so good. I think I have enough storage for just about anything now. And I will remember to back up to CD more often now. I tried retreiving more, but it's just not working. I will take off the USB Stick when I power down and diconnect the bad drive just it won't keep trying to find it when I boot up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• formerly PretzelSouls!

All I can suggest is getting an external hard drive - it saves your files incase of crashes. I have a Maxtor and it works great! Good luck
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Well, that's what I just did. It's an external drive and has all kinds of back up software on it, but I haven't installed that yet. I want to ask someone about it first. I will be doing that tomorrow. At least I am under the impression that My Book is an external hard drive. Here are the specs from Western Digital:

Are you running out of hard drive capacity? Do you need to archive some important digital documents, photos, or music? This elegant external hard drive, reminiscent of a book, is the perfect solution. It takes no more space than a paperback book. Collect two or more and they nest neatly together like volumes on a shelf.

Product FeaturesEasy to set up, easy to use - Installation is a snap because you don't really install this drive, you just plug it in and it's ready to use.

USB 2.0 interface - A simple connection that offers convenience and compatibility among multiple computers.

Fits right in - Takes no more space than a paperback book. Collect two or more and they nest neatly together like volumes on a shelf.

Smart and energy efficient - Turns itself on and off with your computer.

PC and Mac compatible - Works with both Windows® 2000/XP/Vista and Mac® OS X 10.4.8 or later

Ideal for
    • Instant storage
    • Easy to use
    • USB 2.0
    • Saving and organizing your digital photo collection
    System Requirements
    • Available USB port
    • Windows® 2000/XP/Vista™
    • Mac® OS X 10.4.8 or later
    Package Includes
    • External hard drive
    • USB cable
    • AC adapter
    • Quick Install Guide
    Last edited by Lost Boy; 04-03-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Thank You Poisonedapples