• -Going Retro-

Satellite radio! Who's got it?

It's been over a month now that we took the step and purchased a Sirius Satellite radio. What a fantastic piece of technology! I thought about the difference between XM and Sirius but after doing some research I found that Sirius has a much more aggressive plan to get new listeners and sign A-list entertainment they also had better equipment imo.

Couldn't be happier! We have the XACT mobile car receiver and I also purchased the home kit, as well as the travel boom box. It was so nice to drive to Disneyland without looking for a radio station or messing with the MP3 player. What's better then listening to countless hours of E! True Hollywood story? Of course my absolute favorite station or show I should say is Derek and Romaine on outQ.

Anyone else have satellite radio?

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Satellite radio! Who's got it?

I got my Sirius radio back in December (for my birthday). I totally love it!!!! Its the best present I ever bought for myself!! (Well, actually hubby gave me the money for it coz he FORGOT my birthday ) But its wonderful. Where I am we only get 3, maybe 4 radio stations and they all... well... suck. To much DJ chatter, to many commercials and no selection of music. When I drive down to San Diego Co. to visit my daughter I like to listen to smooth jazz or classical for the drive on the freeway. I can pick up K-Mozart on regular radio down by Palm Springs, but its not consistant all the way down. And I can't get the San Diego jazz station till I'm almost to San Marcos. When I'm home I like to listen to Alt rock or Techno/Dance if I have work to do and want to have a beat to work to. I also have several other various stations on my presets. The one I have I can use in both the car and home. I did buy an external antenna for my house.

I love that even though they do have DJ's on many of the stations, they are for the most part more low key and don't blather on and on and on because they are so in love with the sound of their own voice.

I got the Sirius instead of XM for the same reason I use a Mac. I go with the underdog. I like going with the "little" company rather than the one everyone else uses.

Ok... I'll stop now...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Vehicle rotating backward

People are paying nearly $15 a month for radio? HELLO!? It's radio, that's why it's free! If radio were worth paying for, don't you think they'd play something other than Kelly Clarkson all day long?

• off in lala land

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    People are paying nearly $15 a month for radio? HELLO!? It's radio, that's why it's free! If radio were worth paying for, don't you think they'd play something other than Kelly Clarkson all day long?
    Actually, the Sirius and Xm services offered can not be heard on a regular radio station. What you are actually paying for is commercial free, unregulated radio.

Kelly Clarkson isn't played all day long, in fact you have over 200 channels to select from, uninterrupted music that allows you to drive up and down the coast without losing the satellite signal, commercial free, web-available radio with music and talk radio for anyone. You get everything from 70's to 80's to rave to oldies to liberal/conservative stations to Elvis and even sports. There is a lot on here that "free radio" doesn't offer.

What you hear on "free radio" that is on your free from the turner in your car, is regulated by the fed's FCC, full in commercial stations that are restricted to your local vicinity.
    ...it's been a long time.

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

I really want Sirius! I'm dying for it. Especially since my favorite DJ is moving there. So my question is - What one can I buy that is for the home and car. It's confusing when I look at the site!

I was one of the first couple thousand XM subscribers. I have turned multiple friends and family over to the service (of course, before they had a referal program :-Z ). I wouldnt trade it for the world. The lack of commercials, the drasticaly better audio quality, more diverse prgramming, greater selection, weather and traffic services, non musical entertainment radio, same selection no matter where you drive... so many reasons I love satellite radio.

I have nothing against sirius at all, in fact, I have been thinking about adding sirius to the mixup as well. My head unit will support both at the same time, all working thru the unit (not seperate devices) so I am just an antenna and box away.

I've had XM since Christmas this year (technically it was a gift for my husband, so it is ours)
    I picked XM since they offer more country and oldies stations. Plus they are the official home of NASCAR and MLB!
    I absolutely love it! Plus, I have the Ski-fi 2 so I can rewind to listen to good songs again!

• Reject no more!

!!!!!!! I LOVE MY SIRIUS RADIO !!!!!!!!

I've had it for several years now and I am still giddy about it.
    200 stations, no comercials, no retard dj's who think they're funny.

It's worth every penny and then some. No Kelly Clarkson for me, thanks.
    Hey fellow Sirians, what stations are on your presets?

My top 3:
    - Left of Center (It's music, not politics)
    - Alt Nation
    - First Wave
    Last edited by 33 reject; 08-13-2005 at 06:49 PM.
    ><> just call me n8 <><

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 33 reject
    !!!!!!! I LOVE MY SIRIUS RADIO !!!!!!!!

Hey fellow Sirians, what stations are on your presets?

My top 3:
    - Left of Center (It's music, not politics)
    - Alt Nation
    - First Wave
    # 1 Jazz Cafe
    #2 Swing Street
    # 3 The Beat
    #4 Horizons
    #5 Symphony Hall
    #6 Alt Nation (Madison... the Dj I love to hate)
    #7 Reggae
    #8 Hard Attack
    #9 Blue Grass.

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mistyisjafo
    I really want Sirius! I'm dying for it. Especially since my favorite DJ is moving there. So my question is - What one can I buy that is for the home and car. It's confusing when I look at the site!
    What I got was the Sanyo CRSR-10 that sells at Wally World for around $145. It had both the home AND car kits included, although I did end up buying a second external antenna to attach outside my house and had my hubby run the wire through the walls for me. The receiver is small enough to transport back and forth from my kitchen (where the external antenna comes in) to my car (where I keep the car antenna). The hard part in the car is finding a place where it will "fit." I ended up using the stand ment for home use and set it on my cup holders between the seats (not perfect) and the suction cup for the car is on my kitchen window.

As an added note... they say you MUST mount the car antenna externally.. naa... I toss mine up in the front dash when I'm going to use it, that way for security reasons when I leave my car the antenna dissappears too. I just put some velcro on the bottom of it so it sticks to the dash cover.

Have fun when you do get it... coz its great!!

I had sirius for three years and I really loved it. When I wanted to put the subscription on hold for a few months though, my trouble started. You can read about it in my full review on epinions (http://www.epinions.com/content_165774462596) but the short version is that they started a total of three accounts in my name and then refused to cancel them.

They have terrible customer service. I would love to be a customer of their's again but they treated me so very poorly and refused to admit when they were wrong. It still gets me angry just writing about it.
    I didn't say a word.

• Banned User

I would love satelite radio.. but since i got Dish.. i listen to some in the house.. but have no extra for everything else...