Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: What do you think of my Website?

Jerrod:
    Looks good for your basic site. And for this type of biz, you don't need fancy bells and whistles. My first impressions: Look over your spelling carefully.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Summer:
    When I opened your site, the first thing I asked is: Where's the title? What is this site for? Is it just pictures?

• I'll pencil this in later

Summer: Is it just me or do your links not work? They worked for your Magic Kingdom page but not the other ones.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Your response caused me to have another look at my original response because we (or at least "I") often don't see how others can perceive what we post. With no facial or body language, we only have words, and sometimes they don't convey the tone in which the message was intended.

To expand and hopefully clarify - Freewebs when used without their annoying advertising is a more than acceptable host. They do provide templates to make the page/site creation easier for the novice or for the experienced developer with certain constraints.

I was encouraging you to consider thinking beyond the constraints of pre-made templates and develop your own unique look and interactivity. Personally, I use templates on occasion as a springboard as they can contain a pre-made framework nearly identical to what I would construct on my own, but save me that extra bit of work. I can then remove the "features" of the template I don't want and substitute my own. A time saver to be sure. My concern was when a template is used as-is and aside from words and pictures, may look just like another site/page using the same template.

Since you stated you do use your own code in conjunction with the template - then you are being creative as I originally posted. My observation, and based on my personal preferences, your fan site appears very "inside the box" meaning rows and columns - right angles. Looking at the photos on your site - there are few right angles rows/columns. The Disney items have a more organic, fluid look. I don't think the squareness compliments them as well as something more angular or curved. You have a gradation in some of the major cells that does provide some curved texture - a big plus in my view. I just think it may be more visually appealing with less squareness. But that is just my opinion. Thanks for letting me explain, and thanks to the OP for the derail.
    This is a fabulous assertation, it's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Summer:
    When I opened your site, the first thing I asked is: Where's the title? What is this site for? Is it just pictures?
    I just purchased the domain name but the logo is in the works. I do appreciate you mentioning it though, that was one of my concerns as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayangelo View Post
    Summer: Is it just me or do your links not work? They worked for your Magic Kingdom page but not the other ones.
    Hmm, I just went through and clicked on them and they are working for me? I don't have the pages up for Epcot yet but the MK attraction page should be working. Does worry me though that the links aren't working for you.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    I just purchased the domain name but the logo is in the works. I do appreciate you mentioning it though, that was one of my concerns as well.
    Gotcha. So it is still a WIP.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Gotcha. So it is still a WIP.
    Yes, I've only had it up about a week so not all the photos are up and the layout isn't finished.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Looks good so far!

• Senior Minion

Jerrod:
    Add a bit more for the Homepage description. Tell them what company you are, where you are located (what city, state - leave the address for the address page) and if you have a motto or something. Be descriptive, people who see this website aren't going to think much if you don't sell the place to them and make them want to come.
    Tell what you offer, a brief summary, also on the front page, as you are more descriptive later on another page.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Senior Minion

Summer:
    I like what I see of your page so far. You use your own beautiful photos to showcase more of the attraction than you find on a lot of sites. For a WIP, I rather like it. Please do keep us updated on it's progress.
    I like the slideshows instead of just picture after picture sitting on the page, it makes it stand out more.
    One thing though: I know it says WDWfanpics, but as for the bottom sentence, you might want to change it to: 'the best site for photos of (Walt Disney) or The (Disney) World' instead of just 'the world'. Just a small suggestion.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    Summer:
    I like what I see of your page so far. You use your own beautiful photos to showcase more of the attraction than you find on a lot of sites. For a WIP, I rather like it. Please do keep us updated on it's progress.
    I like the slideshows instead of just picture after picture sitting on the page, it makes it stand out more.
    One thing though: I know it says WDWfanpics, but as for the bottom sentence, you might want to change it to: 'the best site for photos of (Walt Disney) or The (Disney) World' instead of just 'the world'. Just a small suggestion.
    Thank you. I just uploaded the logo tonight and I'm so OCD that I keep tweaking it. LOL

I'm trying to avoid saying Disney on the site, especially in the logo, for some reason I remember reading somewhere that you can have an implied fan site but using the actual Disney name was prohibited, hence the sentence I used. However, if you can think of something more creative or different, I'm open to suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12