Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Demise of HD-DVD has not helped Blu-Ray

So two formats wasn't as big of an issue as everyone thought.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080430/...lu_ray_players

NEW YORK - Sales of Blu-ray disc players haven't been helped by maker Toshiba's capitulation over producing the rival HD DVD format, research firm NPD Group said Wednesday.
    Toshiba announced on Feb. 19 that it would stop making HD DVD players, already doomed by Warner Bros. Entertainment's announcement Jan. 4 that it was dropping HD DVD to focus on Blu-ray.
    Sales of Blu-ray players, excluding PlayStation 3 game consoles, dropped 40 percent from January to February in the U.S., according to NPD. Sales grew only 2 percent from February to March. The firm didn't release numbers of players sold.
    "When we surveyed consumers late last year, an overwhelming number of them said they weren't investing in a new next-generation player because their old DVD player worked well and next-generation players were too expensive," said Ross Rubin, director of industry analysis at NPD. "It's clear from retail sales that those consumer sentiments are still holding true."
    While DVD players cost less than $100, Blu-ray players generally cost $400 or more.
    Another factor that may be holding back sales of Blu-ray players is that anticipated models with Internet connectivity haven't hit the market yet. Current models can't be upgraded.
    But sales of PS3s seem to be recovering, perhaps with help from their built-in Blu-ray players. Sony Corp. sold 257,120 units in the U.S. in March, nearly doubling last year's figure.
    Another firm, ABI Research, estimates that PS3s will account for more than 85 percent of Blu-ray players in use this year and that the number of stand-alone players and Blu-ray-equipped PCs won't surpass them until 2013.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Huh?

Re: Demise of HD-DVD has not helped Blu-Ray

However, movie sales are up quite a lot now...

It might just take a bit of time for it to fully catch on. But, cheaper players *are* a main concern.

As for the internet capabilities, I'm not too impressed yet. Walk Hard could have used a LOT of improvement on its live content and menus.
    -Tim

• Down Pluto!

Meh. Blu-Ray Schmoo-Ray.

My current DVD player already gives me more satisfaction than I need. Why would I need to reinvest in a whole new device and format? New technology is great and all, but Blu-Ray just seems too expensive and unneeded.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Meh. Blu-Ray Schmoo-Ray.

My current DVD player already gives me more satisfaction than I need. Why would I need to reinvest in a whole new device and format? New technology is great and all, but Blu-Ray just seems too expensive and unneeded.
    Exactly. Plus I just bought a brand new 800-watt home theatre system last November, which I absolutely love. The DVD player upconverts to near HD quality and that's good enough for me. I'm amazed I haven't blown the roof off or the neighbors complain yet. This thing is powerful!

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

I am totally sold on BluRay + 1080p TV. Makes home movie viewing sooo, SHARP and IN MY FACE. It's as drastically better as I remember going from VHS to DVD was.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Meh. Blu-Ray Schmoo-Ray.

This is what I said in a previous thread. Blue rays biggest rival is DVD.
    Players are less than $100 (some even less than $50), titles from $1, with most between $10 - $20, that and most people still think that because they have already bought an HDTV that they are already watching HD video on their existing DVD's (don't even get me started on why anybody still wants pan and scan titles, but they still out sell wide screen)

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    (don't even get me started on why anybody still wants pan and scan titles, but they still out sell wide screen)

It's understandable. I often won't even buy a movie if they're only released in P&S.

I hate the way DVD became with the P&S vs. Widescreen cover art. Occasionally, I would only see what *looked* like all the same DVD, only to be near checkout (or beyond) only to find that there was a very tiny "Full Screen" way down near the bottom.

I think that has a lot to do with P&S outselling -- it's just way too deceptive when they make everything look almost exactly the same except for a nearly hidden marking of what format it is.

"Full Screen" is bad wording, I think. Widescreen is full screen for me. "Full Screen" leaves me with some unused space at the sides of the screen.
    -Tim

the confusing part is as the number of 16 x 9 TV's sold got larger, so did the release of pan and scan DVD's.

I have only purchased titles released in their original aspect ratio since the Laser Disc days in the mid 1980's, but alas marketing tells me that I'm still in the minority.

I've been told by select friends, that it didn't matter which DVD they bought because their TV makes all films wide screen.

• Down Pluto!

Indeed it does. Widescreen TV's typically (not always) stretch the pan & scan to fit. The resulting image makes for W-I-D-E actors. But then most folks can't tell the difference between regular and HD, so a stretched movie looks the same to them...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• DJ Ben

16:9 ratio gives you the whole picture where as the 4:3 ratio is resized to fit a non wide screen tv and has to chop off part of the picture on both sides to fit into the screen.

• Mischievous Mouse

I have an HD set, I have a upconverter DVD player, most films look pretty darn good. But before I'll buy a genuine HD player, it must be under $200, and I need to get glasses because I'm not 20/20 anyway.
    And, just how long do you think it will be before they introduce "Ultra"-High-def, or "Super"-High-def and temp you to upgrae again? Technology won't rest on it's laurels, not as long as the money keeps flowing.
    Here's to 3840 x 2160 ...and beyond!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    And, just how long do you think it will be before they introduce "Ultra"-High-def, or "Super"-High-def and temp you to upgrae again? Technology won't rest on it's laurels, not as long as the money keeps flowing.
    Here's to 3840 x 2160 ...and beyond!

Last year.

It's FAR from being viable for consumers. But a super-HD TV was demonstrated around December or so that was like 50 time better than HD. Yes, we are getting to insane levels already.

However, considering on how long it has taken for the first HD sets to be released to the public, the first Blu-Ray to be released, or the first OLED TVs to go on sale, I think you'll have plenty of time before you need to start worrying about this Super-HD TV.

I believe the resolution was much higher than 38402160....

Edit: Ah! I found it! And it's only 76804320...
    -Tim

• Pathetically Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    I am totally sold on BluRay + 1080p TV. Makes home movie viewing sooo, SHARP and IN MY FACE. It's as drastically better as I remember going from VHS to DVD was.
    Totally agree with you there A4D.

I am fortunate to be in a situation where I can afford to buy the Blu-Ray player (I bought the one at Costco) and the Blu-Ray discs. I have to tell you that there is a noticeable difference between regular DVD and the Blu-Ray as I see it on a plasma monitor (not trying to flaunt, just telling you all what kind of equipment I'm viewing things on). The plasma screen is 5 years old, but the difference is stunning. Very clear and crisp is the best way I can describe it.

Also, Lassiter was right, you need to see Cars on Blu-Ray - the backgrounds and characters are so much cleaner. It's really amazing technology. The biggest problem is that the assortment of titles available is still pretty limited.

I buy movies all the time and I'll only buy Blu-Ray movies if the cinematography warrants it. Think about seeing Dances with Wolves (horrible acting by K Costner - incredibly rich cinematography) on the big screen, but being able to see the individual strands of tall grass on the prairie. Nice. That's what I think is the Blu-Ray advantage. I wouldn't buy Juno on Blu-Ray (although I did buy it on DVD) because the story and characters are the focus with a more limited visual background. Hopefully, you all understand my point. I'd love to see something like the Jodie Foster 'Anna and the King' filmed in HD and put out Blu-Ray with those amazing vistas and sets. That would be a Blu-Ray bonanza there.

My $.02 worth.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    But a super-HD TV was demonstrated around December or so that was like 50 time better than HD.
    Holy crap! 50 times better!?! Jeebus, next up; personal home holodecks.

just how long do you think it will be before they introduce "Ultra"-High-def, or "Super"-High-def and temp you to upgrade again? Technology won't rest on it's laurels, not as long as the money keeps flowing.
    Well we went from VHS to DVD in 25 years, DVD to HD-DVD/Blu Ray in 10 years. Blu ray will remain a niche medium like Laser Disc until this new super format... I figure they will roll it out a month or so after Star Wars comes out on Blu-Ray.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast