• Gumball Rally Godfather

iPhone vs. Sprint's Instinct

This is an interesting article on the new Sprint Instinct vs. the upcoming iPhone3G. It was of particular interest to me for a couple of reasons which I'll delineate at the end of the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Associated Press

Review: Sprint's phone is iPhone clone done right

By PETER SVENSSON 3 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) This is a review of the 3G iPhone. No, not the one Apple announced on Monday. The other one. You know the one from Sprint and Samsung?

Amid the buzz surrounding Apple Inc.'s new iPhone model, coming out July 11, it's been easy to miss the news that Sprint Nextel Corp. is bringing out a phone on June 20 that is the closest thing so far to an iPhone made by someone else.

The Samsung Instinct is, like the real iPhone, a slab with a large touch screen and few buttons. There are other touch-screen alternatives, but the Instinct's the only one that does what the iPhone does: wrap a wealth of features into a package that's easy to use.

This is a remarkable achievement, mostly on Sprint's part. The hardware, made by Samsung Electronics Co., is available overseas. Sprint commissioned its own software to run on it, working very closely with an outside design house on its development.

The result is a lucid, logical interface. It's not as pretty as the iPhone's, but it allows the user to quickly use e-mail, Web browsing, GPS navigation and text messaging; watch videos, live TV and photos; and listen to music and online radio.

Of course, Apple should get much of the credit for inspiring competitors to come up with phones like this. But the Instinct is more than a copy: Sprint pulled out all the stops when it came to adding features, resulting in an almost absurdly capable phone that outdoes the first-generation iPhone in many ways.

If that were the only competition, the Instinct would look very good. But a fairer comparison is with the upcoming 3G iPhone, so called because it will use AT&T's third-generation wireless network.

To start with the similarities, the Instinct's price will likely match that of the 8-gigabyte iPhone model: $199 with a two-year contract, but Sprint hasn't confirmed this. The cheapest service plans will cost the same, at $69.99 per month.

Both phones will use fast data networks the Instinct is one of the very few phones to use EV-DO Revision A, the fastest flavor of Sprint's network.

Both have 2-megapixel cameras. The Instinct comes with less memory, at 2 gigabytes, but it's expandable with cheap MicroSD chips. Both use an on-screen keyboard that's quite usable. Both will connect to corporate e-mail servers and Microsoft Outlook e-mail programs, though the details differ.

The Instinct has several advantages over the new iPhone:

_ It's smaller, fitting more comfortably in a pocket.

_ It records video. The iPhone only does stills.

_ It does picture messaging.

_ It has "haptic feedback," fancy words meaning it can be set to vibrate when it registers a touch.

_ Its navigation software gives turn-by-turn directions.

_ It can get live, streaming TV service.

_ It has a removable battery, and even comes with a spare. The iPhone's battery is not removable by the user.

_ Its applications can be updated over the wireless data network.

_ It can send music to stereo headsets using Bluetooth. The iPhone can send calls over Bluetooth, but not music.

The Instinct has some notable drawbacks as well:

_ The screen has two-thirds as many pixels as the iPhone, which means it displays less information. Worse, it's limited in the number of colors it can display, which spoils the look of some photos and movies.

_ The Instinct can only sense the touch of one finger at a time, which makes it more cumbersome to use. The iPhone will let you zoom into a Web page or picture by spreading your fingers on the screen.

_ Sprint's network is not in very good shape, and I have noticed some problems with call quality.

_ There's very limited international roaming, mainly in South America. Sprint's network isn't compatible with the dominant network standard overseas, while AT&T's is. That means the iPhone can roam in more than 170 countries.

_ Sprint has said the Instinct will be open to third-party software developers, and its software is based on Java, a ubiquitous programming language that should make it easy to adapt existing applications. But the cachet and user base of the iPhone will attract more developers to that platform, which Apple is only now opening up.

Ultimately, the Instinct makes me sort of sad.

Sprint tried so hard and did so well, but is that going to matter in what is shaping up to be a killer year for "smart" phones?

Not only is the second iPhone coming out, backed by tremendous buzz, but there's a feature-packed high-end BlackBerry in the wings for AT&T. There has also been speculation of a touch-screen BlackBerry coming later on Verizon Wireless.

Still, for those of you who are Sprint customers and want to stay there, the Instinct will do you very well indeed.

So here's my reasons for being interested in the Sprint Instinct:

1. Replaceable batteries. I knock down minutes (and batteries) like bowlers knock down pins, so this was MAJOR to me.
    2. Faster data downloads
    3. No obligation to the iTunes store, nor do you need to be near wi-fi to download music.
    4. Shoots video.
    5. I'm an existing Sprint customer, and since my current contract expired in April I have a $150 credit towards a new phone. If I want an iPhone, I lose the credit and have to shell out the $199 to Apple. Obviously, the $$$ makes a difference as well.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Minion

Re: iPhone vs. Sprint's Instinct

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    This is an interesting article on the new Sprint Instinct vs. the upcoming iPhone3G. It was of particular interest to me for a couple of reasons which I'll delineate at the end of the article.

[B]

So here's my reasons for being interested in the Sprint Instinct:

1. Replaceable batteries. I knock down minutes (and batteries) like bowlers knock down pins, so this was MAJOR to me.
    2. Faster data downloads
    3. No obligation to the iTunes store, nor do you need to be near wi-fi to download music.
    4. Shoots video.
    5. I'm an existing Sprint customer, and since my current contract expired in April I have a $150 credit towards a new phone. If I want an iPhone, I lose the credit and have to shell out the $199 to Apple. Obviously, the $$$ makes a difference as well.
    :yawn:

How many phones have been compared to the iPhone?

Allow me to address your concerns..

1) User Replaceable batteries have been shown to be a non issue. If you're under warranty, you get one for free. If not, Apple can provide you with a spare iPhone with all your songs and data in tact.

2) The iPhone has faster download speeds than any 3G PDA we've seen. Of course, it's not out yet, so you may need to take that with a grain of salt. Also, data speeds are all relative to your area, network coverage, whether your in doors, etc.

Too many variables...

3) There is no obilgation to the iTunes music store. You don't have to buy anything from there, nor do you need it to get music, songs, or video. You can listen to music without being connected to wifi now. You can't store anything to the iPhone though, but this will most likely change as the App Store stores apps to the iPhone

4) I can shoot video on my first gen iPhone and send it via email. $20 says this is implemented either officially or via the app store relatively soon after the 3G launch.

5) Sprint is on life support...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/13/s...er-defections/

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aTTIjQ8qgKEU

A common misconception about the iPhone is that because it doesn't do something now means it's incapable of doing so period. As all of us with a Jailbroken iPhone can tell you, that couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm sending and receiving MMS, Video, playing NES and SNES games, and all kinds of stuff on my iPhone. And with the SDK close by, we'll REALLY get to see what the iPhone can do...

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    :yawn: Sorry to bore you...

1) User Replaceable batteries have been shown to be a non issue. If you're under warranty, you get one for free. If not, Apple can provide you with a spare iPhone with all your songs and data in tact.

You misunderstood what I was saying: If my iPhone battery dies because I use up the battery before getting an opportunity to recharge it, I am carrying a useless piece of electronics while my business calls go unanswered. Why they don't have replaceable batteries is beyond me.

As all of us with a Jailbroken iPhone can tell you, that couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm sending and receiving MMS, Video, playing NES and SNES games, and all kinds of stuff on my iPhone. And with the SDK close by, we'll REALLY get to see what the iPhone can do...
    I'm assuming a "Jailbroken" iPhone is one that's been "modded" because Apple didn't make it the way you wanted it. I'm not comfortable modding my electronics... I don't want to negate my warranty. Besides, doesn't the fact that you have to hack your iPhone to get what you want it to do saying something about the iPhone in the first place?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    I'm assuming a "Jailbroken" iPhone is one that's been "modded" because Apple didn't make it the way you wanted it. I'm not comfortable modding my electronics... I don't want to negate my warranty. Besides, doesn't the fact that you have to hack your iPhone to get what you want it to do saying something about the iPhone in the first place?
    Not at all. Jailbreaking just takes the iPhone and "breaks it free" from the restrictions of Apple.

Of course, with the SDK coming in a few weeks, Apple is actually freeing the iPhone to do whatever you want with it. So, basically, the iPhone will be able to do things that NO other phone can do because it'll be running a full fledged OS with unlimited possibilities.

• Minion

Wall Street Journal:

The parade of iPhone lookalikes continues. Soon after Apple announced the first iPhone a year ago, factories in Asia, at the behest of U.S. phone carriers, were asked to respond to the sleek, touch-screen device. Some already have reached America; more are coming.

The latest to arrive is the Samsung Instinct, to be introduced by Sprint on June 20. I've been testing the Instinct, and while it isn't a bad phone and has some features the Apple product lacks, it's no match for the iPhone. The manufacturers haven't replicated the iPhone's greatest strength: beautiful, powerful, breakthrough software.
    Full article here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1213...?mod=djemptech

They go on to say that the launch of the Instinct is comes at a bad time. The device was made to combat the ORIGINAL iPhone, but with the new iPhone right around the corner, it steals a lot of the Instinct's thunder and selling points.

And with the SDK coming and allowing the original iPhone to do much more than before, the Instinct just becomes just another wanna be...

• That Guy

I will use my Instinct, and purchase an iPHONE.... buh dum dum- cha!

ON the bright side, if you do buy the sprint phone you can take solace in knowing you have the second best device?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I will use my Instinct, and purchase an iPHONE.... buh dum dum- cha!

ON the bright side, if you do buy the sprint phone you can take solace in knowing you have the second best device?
    I wouldn't say that. I bet the new Blackberry's and the HTC diamond will be better than the instinct.