Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• :)

GOOD Point and Shoot Digi Cam

So I am very tech saavy, however when it comes to Photography I'm horrible, I can navigate my way through a complex camera so it doesn't have to be "new user friendly". I'm looking for a nice Point and Shoot digital cam.....something that isn't bulky or thick, with atleast 10+ MP with a large LCD display. Can anyone help me out there! ?

Thanks

•   

Re: GOOD Point and Shoot Digi Cam

What's your price range?

What do you plan to do with the camera? Yeah, take pictures obviously, but where and of what?

I know it's hard to do at first, but do NOT focus on mega-pixels. They are meaningless. You can buy a 10MP Kodak point and shoot for $89, but it can not even come close to the quality of some DSLR cameras with a 6MP sensor.
    Last edited by PhotoMatt; 06-25-2008 at 10:16 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Yes, the only reason you would even need 10 MP is if you plan on making prints poster size. If you don't plan on printing anything larger than 8X10, 3-6 MP is more than enough. Thats really the only advantage of a camera with a higher resolution.

There are a couple of good review sites... Steve's Digi Cam is one. (Don't have the link handy because I'm at work).

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Collapse the waveform

I've had good luck with this. Some Costcos have these with a printer for $250. Its not 10mp but like Matt said megapixelage is a pretty useless measurement.
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I prefer Sony, when I don't want to mess with manual settings, my camera is excellent on the auto setting, it pretty much does all the work for me. They are also great for low light settings as well, so it's good for a moderately lit dark ride. They also have really large LCD screens on most of them.

Not knowing your price range, I'll just link you their compact point and shoots.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=16200

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I will second Summer and I love my Sony Cybershot. I have no photography knowledge or experience, but I think my pics turn out wonderfully with my camera.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• World Traveler

I have a Sony T100 and the great thing about it is that there is no moving lens. It's very small and has a large display.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I like my Kodak 6MP camera quite a bit. It has tons of automatic settings for low light, motion, nighttime, panorama, self-portrait, flowers, fireworks.... and more!

• Down Pluto!

My wife LOVES her PowerShot A570...

She used to never take pictures, and stayed away from using cameras. She is now nearly as bad as I am with taking photos...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

For my vacation, I just purchased a Canon G9. It's got 12 megapixels, a 3 inch lcd display, has a live histogram to help you get the right exposure, an ISO wheel letting you switch quickly, and best of all...it shoots RAW. On the downside, the thing is pretty hefty for its size and any night shots above ISO 400 are complete garbage. The Fugi Finepix leaves this camera in the weeds when it comes to night shots. You can get around that, though, with a Gorillapod. I also like the ability to switch between the lcd and the viewfinder, and it has interchangeable lenses. I really think it's as close to a SLR as you're going to get with a compact point and shoot.

Here's a link:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/

Good luck with your search.

• GO DBACKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hamand View Post
    I've had good luck with this. Some Costcos have these with a printer for $250. Its not 10mp but like Matt said megapixelage is a pretty useless measurement.
    We have almost the same camera, the Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS, I wanted a camera that would take good pictures without having to think about it. We love it. You can see a bunch of our cruise pictures we took with that camera by clicking the link in my signature.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• That Guy

Canon.

I have two friends who are professional photogs, and they swear by Canon. I bought mine online from Costco, and got a great deal.

In researching which camera I was going to get, I kept reading and getting the advice to purchase a camera from a company that just (or primarily) makes cameras. For example, I would never buy a HP camera, or other off brand, since that is not their focus. Good luck.

• Grumpy old man

Anything in the Canon Powershot A-series is probably pretty safe. I have an A530 and I love it. Has good auto mode that can take really good pictures as well as a good program mode (I don't even bother with manual, though it seems to pretty feature heavy)

It also has good heft and a decent sized hand grip, something I really look for (I hate those superlight flat point and shoots, they don't fit well in my hand and feel too fragile). I don't know if that's something you are looking for though.

I ended up buying mine at Sears just because it was the cheapest at the time, but I did my researching all over. Costco always has some pretty good prices.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

My first digicam was a Canon PowerShot S30. Bought it in early 2002 (when a 3.2MP cost $500!!) and I still have it. It's kind of bulky and heavy but it takes good photos. I need to find the battery charger and see if it still works as I haven't used it since I got my Kodak for Christmas a couple years ago.

• :)

I plan on taking pictures of mainly just me and friends, as well as inside the park...for some reason I always end up with the camera more at night, so a camera that can shoot quick in low light and still have a good outcome.

I'm not sure what the camera was, but I was with some friends in the park yesterday and a family asked me to take their picture for them, when I turned the camera vertical, all of the display on the camera screen went vertical too (like an iphone would) and the picture came out amazing, does anybody know which camera this might be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast