Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Lost in Wonderland

Thumbs down No more tripods?

Tokyo Disney Resort at Home is reporting that you will no longer be able to bring in tripods/monopods to Tokyo Disneyland/Sea starting Sept. 1, 2008. That's sad to hear, as it'll make taking long exposure night-time shots really difficult.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Re: No more tripods?

What? Why in the world would they do this?

I guess I can see some reasoning behind this... but I still think it's stupid.

• Loves Mickey!

Oh wow. It's surprising and not surprising at the same time, they have done a few things to try to stop mania people before but this is not cool. I can kind of see why they would do this but at the same time I can't help but think that some of those mania people spend a lot of money at the resort. It's a really fine balance between pleasing the average guest which of course they should do and at the same time letting the people who are mania enjoy the park too. Not everyone who brings a tripod is a nuisance and many of the videos they take encourage others to come to the parks. On top of that it's not going to be pretty for the poor CM's that have to deal with those poeple on September first...
    Last edited by DreamSweetsLove; 07-22-2008 at 01:38 AM.

• Shubisha

The enforceability of this leaves me a bit dumbfounded... I mean it's "enforceable" but that won't make it pleasant :P

• Banned User

I blame some fanatic fans for this decision. I am sure they have reason to believe this is the correct course of action... but I too disagree with it. I agree however, with them not allowing kids sitting on parents' shoulders during outdoor shows. I wish all other Disney parks had the same rules.

• Loves Mickey!

I think the timing is very bad as well. We have these people that taking these pictures is a big part of their lives and they announce this before halloween one of the busiest seasons. Most of these people will get creative or move on but for a few people this is really their life you know? Why didn't they do this starting in the uncrowded season so people could get used to the new rule over time? It's way to close to the Akihabara incident too and that is a bit frightening to me.

• Circle of Ancients

I have a camera mount thing that you can put on the top of a water/soda bottle. It works great and it fits in your pocket. Then I generally just place the bottle on a trash-can or something.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I have a camera mount thing that you can put on the top of a water/soda bottle. It works great and it fits in your pocket. Then I generally just place the bottle on a trash-can or something.
    A gorilla pod. I have one of those too.

• Banned User

Wow, this is absolutely pathetic news!

• Loves Mickey!

People are saying they will use wheelchairs and strollers instead...

This is really dumb LOL. Pretty dang dumb.

-SPACE

• Armchair Imagineer

I am seeing more and more of these policies being implemented in theme parks and other tourist places. The Monterey Bay Aquarium now bans tripods and monopods. I always praised myself on being able to use a monopod with one end stuck in my pocket for stability. Tripods can certainly disrupt crowd flow, but monopods? The sign that was posted also mentions "hard carrying cases", which makes me wonder if there are some security concerns at play here...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I caught some heat about a month ago here in the DLR for having a tripod which I found ironic since the security table in front didn't say jack about it. Once I was in the park, however, one of the white hats gave me some grief and said they were NOT allowed in the park and he asked me to put it away.

I can understand how the lawyers would be concerned about liability on property, but how is it Disney's fault if someone trips on a tripod?

I guess I'll have to start bringing my gorillapod as well. Maybe Disney isn't making enough $$$ with their photopasses.

• Twice Charmed

It'll likely go by way some of the other attempts at controlling the maniacs... meaning eventually they'll give up and tripods will be back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast