• Banned User

"Starlight Dreams"... love it!

Just caught my first performances of TDL's summer nighttime castle show "Starlight Dreams". I *LOVE* it. It's like a mini-Fantasmic on the castle stage.

Some spoilers below... read at your own risk.
    Me being a sucker for nostalgia, the show nicely pays tribute to TDL's history with a small montage of photos from the past as it starts.. This is very nicely done with projected photos on the castle, whihc are edited to fit into the castle architecture and move about.
    Then the show goes into Sorcerer Mickey mode, the way Fantasmic does at DL/DHS.... only that Mickey, being live on the castle and with the help of water cannons and laser graphics, bring this sequence to life in a much more magical way than just seeing it projected on film on a water screen as Fantasmic does. The technical aspects of the show here are simple yet impressive... the lasers add sparkle to the jumping water in eye-popping choreography, and the effect is stunning to watch, especially up close when you are lucky to be seated in the lotto winning area.

(Special Mention to fellow Micechatter Ichigopara and her husband for being such wonderful people and Disney fans for allowing me so graciously to use their winning lotto ticket to sit close to the action. I am eternally in debt to them. THANK YOU Ichigopara.)

From this energetic first act.. the show then goes into history mode... and reproduces some scenes from the original Starlight Fantasy show from back during the 15th anniversary show... with some new twists.. Mickey and the gang show up on the stage to unlock the dreams of magic...and dancers join the party as well. It has always intrigue me how these performers can be so cool and collected, especially when dealing with the water and fire effects and a very wet surface on which they do their very elaborate dance moves! There has got to be a degree of difficulty here and I hope there never is an accident here.

Anyways... as I mentioned, the show reproduces some scenes from the original Starlight show... like the passing of the seasons of the year, in which we see the castle turn from spring flowers to fallen leaves in the fall, to snow flakes in the winter...

Then, just like Fantasmic!, the villains want to join in the fun as wreck the fun... Dancers in bright red fire-like costumes join on the stage as Disney villains join the show via the water mist screens. Here... huge balls of fire dance about the stage and over it, roasting us in the audience with intense heat. The castle begins to catch fire (with marvelous technical touches as fire projection and pyrotechnics)... and even the stage is set on fire as well.. Finally, the castle looks destroyed...
    But Mickey comes to the rescue. With the help of an elevated podium, Mickey "flies" over the stage as he furiously tries to dissipate the flames and save the day... Fun part is seeing Mickey doing his thing as he travels thru the water mist and other effects. This is by far the most spectacular part of the show...and ends with a huge bang. Poor Mickey then is seeing panting hard up on his podium. (KUDOS to the CM playing Mickey for playing him so impressively and acting this "exhausting panting" out under the rubberhead).

IN true magical fashion, Mickey's power of imagination restores the castle to it's full bright glittery self and the show ends in a magical celebration of fireworks, lights and magic.

TDLFAN rates this show a solid 4 stars of fun ****.

The music is great (buy the cd please) and the new song of the show "Dream Again" is catchy and ends the show in a most magical, tear inducing way. At 18 mins long, the show is perfect. Do not bother watching online videos of this.. as videos do not do justice. GO to TDL and enjoy. (I know, easy said than done, but you gotta!) I agree with most japanese fans and say that this show should have been the main event of the 25th anniversary celebration since April. For added fun, TDL is offering an exclusive line of merchandise for this show as well... which include teeshirts, postcards, pins, plushes, lightup-buttons etc etc... get your souvenirs while they last during the summer months as they will sell fast.

Again.. if you go to TDL this summer, make a point to watch this show. Play the lotto for a spot in the viewing area close to the action (good luck since I lost). Show plays until the end of august!! HURRY!!

• Disney fan from Thailand

Re: "Starlight Dreams"... love it!

me too, i'm like Starlight Dream a lot. On July 9 i wait for their 1st round show on 7 pm. but there are lot of crownd and bad view. So, i wait to view it again on 9 pm.

I am going to have to disagree with you. The show is not great. The show, in my opinion, is mediocre.

The actual stage show is not up to par. It is too corny, with the charectors running up the stairs, then down the stairs, then back up the stairs. The story that they "tried" to put on was weak, and it seemed to me like filler. I even "lol" when the still images of the Villains appeared on the water screen. I guess I am spoiled with Disneyland's Fantasmic, that this seemed this was a cheap rip off.

The only good thing about Starlight Dreams are the effects around the castle. The mixture of fire, water, and fireworks are, which I am happy to admit, was pretty incredible. But combined with the stage show, I give it a C. Thats a passing grade, but compared to its day time counterpart, it doesn't even come close to the fun and creativity.

• Banned User

Your opinion is well respected. However, I enjoyed the show because it was much more than what I expected. It may be "cheap" as you put it, especially when compared to the former castle extravaganzas we have seen before...BUT go to the MK and check out their current castle shows of late..and see how cheap they are compared to this new show at TDL. And while this is partly inspired by DL's Fantasmic! (which is a permanent show at that park), THIS show is a temporary performance that will end this month. Seems to me they did an outstanding job for a show that will only play for 7 weeks of the year. The special effects are nice and the new soundtrack for the show is pretty decent as well.

I appreciate your opinion but respectfully I disagree with you too. I am not here to change your mind on this and I won't change mine either. I think the loud "OOOH!!" for the audience is testament the show is being enjoyed by most who see it.

• The Darkness to Light

I agree with you that the technical aspect of the live version of Sorcerrer Mickey is more stunning than the mist screen projection of the same scene, mostly because of the lazers bouncing off the water cannon blasts. Sadly, as you well know, I won't be able to appreciate this effect in person.

I can only hope that if and when the rumored Fantasmic! 2.0 is put under projection that this effect makes its way state side. It is budget friendly, but then again, I said the same thing about Chip & Dale's Cool Service, sooo....

I also noticed that this looks like TDL's first "panorammic" pyro display similar to what is done in MK. All the other videos of TDL's fireworks are offset to the left of the castle so they can be seen at TDS in an area, I'm assuming, is shared by both parks backstage. Can you confirm this, TDLFAN?
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    I also noticed that this looks like TDL's first "panorammic" pyro display similar to what is done in MK. All the other videos of TDL's fireworks are offset to the left of the castle so they can be seen at TDS in an area, I'm assuming, is shared by both parks backstage. Can you confirm this, TDLFAN?
    "Panoramic" in the sense of "Wishes"? NO. The pyro shells used in the show is comparable to what they did for "Blazing Rhythms". As for the regular fireworks show (which is on hiatus during the summer while Starlight plays), YES, it is shot from the left side of the park behind Westernland and the show is shared with TDS as well. Currently at TDS, only the "Bonfire Dance" and "BraviSEAmo!" shows play in the evening times.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    "Panoramic" in the sense of "Wishes"? NO. The pyro shells used in the show is comparable to what they did for "Blazing Rhythms".
    Blazing was shot from the castle and the stage mortors, but I could have sworn the video I watched (yes, I know, I'm bad. I'm sorry) showed flares firing from either side of the castle during the finale similar to Wishes but not in the same scope as any WDW fireworks show. I don't remember seeing TDL launching fireworks like that before, which is why I asked.

• Loves Mickey!

Blazing was shot from the castle and the stage mortors, but I could have sworn the video I watched (yes, I know, I'm bad. I'm sorry) showed flares firing from either side of the castle during the finale similar to Wishes but not in the same scope as any WDW fireworks show. I don't remember seeing TDL launching fireworks like that before, which is why I asked.
    This is what you are talking about right?

They added these to shoot fireworks (flares?) from the sides of the castle this year for Starlight Dreams. There were some pictures on Deep Disney a while back too.

• Yo!

This may sound like an odd way to judge the crowd's reaction, but I usually look at what I like to call the "after applause." The "after applause" occurs at the very end, after the finale and the exit music. TDL almost always does the exit music for their shows (where the cast bows and waves to the audience), unlike the other resorts where this isn't always the case. Some of the shows the audience is dead silent after the exit music, other shows have polite applause. With Starlight Dreams, though, in every video I've seen (shoot me now) the audience is very enthusiastic and the guests are even whooping and cheering. Seems to me the show is getting a very good response from guests.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    This is what you are talking about right?

[imgsnip]

They added these to shoot fireworks (flares?) from the sides of the castle this year for Starlight Dreams. There were some pictures on Deep Disney a while back too.
    Is there a better angle of these mortors so I know where they are in relationship to the castle just to make sure those are what I am talking about?

• Loves Mickey!

Is there a better angle of these mortors so I know where they are in relationship to the castle just to make sure those are what I am talking about?
    We are going tomorrow so I'll try to take some pictures before it gets dark but they are on either side of the castle in the water.

Can anyone with the lyric book post the lyrics to Dream Again? There are a few words I just can't make out.