Help me choose Disney Sea vs Disneyland!

So I will be in Tokyo August 29th to September 5th. Depending on what I and my travel companion decide I may have only One day at TDR. Thus I am faced with the question, TDL or TDS? I am thinking TDS since I live near and attend Disneyland in California about 30 times a year... Only the seeming lack of attractions in TDS is making me think twice. Does it make up for it in quality? Forgive my ignorance; I know virtually nothing about TDR despite extensive knowledge of DLR. Thus I ask for your help.

Which would you choose, which should I?

How different are the rides of the same name at TDL vs DL (California)?

What day should I go to minimize crowds and what can I expect any of the days between August 29th and September 5th?

What advice could you give me to maximize my time and experience?
    (Should I get a two day pass or two passes and use them both
    same day, can I hit up most the rides, etc, in one day?)

Whats must see? Must eat? Must ride?

Thanks for all your info!

-Ed
    Last edited by Fear&LoathingInCA; 08-18-2008 at 06:41 PM.

Re: Help me choose Disney Sea vs Disneyland!

One random side question for Japan experts/natives, I suffer from back pain and will be bringing a one month supply of my pain medicine Tramadol with me which from all the info I can find online is ok UNLESS it is on Japans list of extremely controlled narcotic prescriptions, which I can find no list for, anyone know if this medicine is considered a narcotic or controlled substance in Japan? Or like some other countries is it Over the counter and not controlled at all? Many countries view this medication differently, and I can’t find this info anywhere so I am asking in all the Japan oriented forums I can find, I’m sorry it’s off topic.

-Ed

THANK YOU AGIAN!

• Seasick

DisneySea is amazing and there is no other Disney park like it.

Tokyo Disneyland has very little you haven't seen in Anaheim. However, it does have Pooh's Hunny Hunt, quite possibly the best ride to ever appear in a Disney theme park. If this is a once in a lifetime type visit to Tokyo, you may want to go just for that. If that is the case, I would probably buy admission to both parks, hit Hunny Hunt, and then focus on DisneySea.

Alternatively, spend one day at DisneySea and then just a few hours at Tokyo Disneyland to hit Pooh and anything else you fancy.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

While DisneySea may have fewer attractions than DL, it is the most immersive and beautiful theme park you may ever see. The lush theming is awesome, the views are amazing - and some of the attractions (such as "Journey To The Center Of The Earth") are quite unique and lots of fun.

Suggestion: Don't run or hurry through the park. Take your time. Soak it all in. See the shows. DisneySea truly is Disney's finest effort.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dewd View Post
    DisneySea truly is Disney's finest effort.
    No truer words have ever been written here. Not that TDL itself is a bad park since they have the best live entertainment there is off all DL parks... and visiting TDL during it's 25th anniversary, with all that decor and vibe, would not be a bad choice either.

I'd definitely recommend going to Tokyo DisneySea. Pooh isn't worth the admission, in my opinion.

Yes, the number of attractions seem somewhat small compared to TDL/DL, but I'd say that it's on par with DCA, if not a little bit more. (I'm just simply going by the number of attractions here) TDS is truly beautiful. The attractions are brilliantly themed, and many rides are repeatable, too. Plus if you go in August (schools generally start on the first weekday of September), the lines will be long so it's not as if you can conquer the park in half-day. All of the restaurants are delicious and unique, rides are unbelievably immersive, and shows aren't bad either.

I mean, I'd say that Journey to the Center of the Earth is perhaps the best attraction in the world.

TDR's operating hours aren't from 8-12, anyway, so that's another thing. Majority of the stuff at TDL can be experienced at DL. And while TDL does have amazing entertainment, I'd still pick TDS.

And I believe you can't really parkhop unless you buy two separate admissions. If you buy 3-day or 4-day parkhopper, you can parkhop on the 3rd and 4th days, but you can only visit only one park on the first two days, so it's not possible to parkhop on the first day. Don't worry, you'll have PLENTY to do at TDS.

And sorry, I can't help you with the medication issue. I'm not an expert in that field! =P
    Last edited by COOOOLkid; 08-20-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Thank you for all your info! It will be Disney Seas for sure and Ill try to get back another day to spend a few hours at TDL, perhapse an evening ticket or something... Does a two day pass have to be used the following day or can I come back a few days later?

-Ed

I believe all of the multi-tickets are valid only on consecutive days, unlike the 14-day limit that you have at DLR.