Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

TDS' A La Carte 2008

Hello everyone, as part of the continuing 25th anniversary celebration for TDR, and also TDS' 7th anniversary, they are currently offering this year's edition of the "A La Carte" food festival event, now in it's 2nd year in a row.
    Somewhat improved from last year's premiere version, this year event is a smaller affair similar to the currently offered Wine and Food festival at WDW's EPCOT Center. Nevertheless.. smaller does not mean "lesser" here. The chefs in charge of TDS, in conjuntion with the special event crews, have transformed some areas of TDS into mini food paradises for guests to enjoy.. The popular Pinocchio re-theming of the Portofino Cafe in Mediterranean Harbor, the Genie Cafe re-theming of the Casbah Cafe in Arabian Coast, the Food Bazaar all over the American Harbour area, and many more special event decor, menus and merchandise, add greatly to this most enjoyable "happening" at TDS. Similar to EPCOT's Food fest, guests are able to enjoy specially prepared menus with international flair, and it also gives the TDS chefs the chance to "show off" their truly artistic culinary expertise. This year's merchandise is very nice and colorful, and for added fun, a brand new show "A Table's Waiting" is being presented at the SS Columbia stage, and for what I have seen of it from MC's fellow poster Ichigopara, it is truly a delightful and very colorful show. Sadly, it was very rainy weather and this show and other outdoor activities were cancelled due to inclement weather... so I was unable to bring you some show-related picstures but below, I have pics from the decor and some merchandise now available at TDS in conjunction with "A La Carte 2008". So I hope you enjoy these photos...

This sign greeted guests at TDR parks.... Hmmm...

Entering TDS through the majestic Miracosta Hotel..

"A La carte" event decor.

"art of million smiles" features new artwork for this 3rd stage of TDR's 25th anniversary.

More "A La Carte" decor.

The Portofino Cafe has been transformed into "Festa Pinocchio" for the event.

Over in American Waterfront, an "International Fair" is underway..

Many diverse food stands are available for guests to sample food selections from around the world.

Decor matches that of food themes.. such as this area being next to China's food stand.

Some dessert items come with souvenir cups and saucers... and are very cute items to collect.

Mousse de la France.

International Wines available here.

Nearby a culinary song and dance show "A table is waiting" plays for guests, feat. the famous Disney characters, with casts of dozens of dancers...

Of course... the rainy weather cancelled todays performances...

more decor...

Photo op spot.

Kiosks at Waterfront Park.

Souvenir event popcorn bucket.

A Passport-like voucher is available for purchase that allows guests to pig out on some of the desserts being served in the area...

Some guests will receive this gift after using the Passport mentioned above.

Let's go shopping at McDuck's.

Event plush (Mickey as seen on the Table is waiting show.)

Tees...

..and everything in between.

Bonus photos: TDS' 7th anniversary merchandise currently available for sale at the TDS.

The tee and hats below are nice.. but I am too big for japanese sizes...

And of course.. Duffy. A very popular bear among young lady guests at TDS... he has quite a collection of special event outfits, not to mention a very varied merchandise lineup.

And this concludes our pictorial from TDS' A La Carte 2008 special event. CIAO!
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 10-04-2008 at 06:55 AM.

Re: TDS' A La Carte 2008

Thanks for the fantastic trip report! The artwork for this years A La Carte is really great. I also really want one of those 7th Anniversary passholders.

• World Traveler

How cute all that merchandise is!!! Thanks for the photos!!!

Argh. It's a good thing I'm not there, as I would probably be purchasing those cute souvenir dessert dishes everywhere.

Do you feel that the international food is actually meant to be authentic? I ask this, because my experience has been that most Japanese representations of different types of foods tends to be heavily filtered through Japanese sensibilities. Like my relatives like Japanese food and Chinese food, and that's about it.

Also, it is wrong how much I want that popcorn bucket. Snif.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I attended last years event and considered it no more than a food and merchadise event. This year it looks like some effort and money has been added to the budget and it shows. Nice Pictures once again TDLFAN.

By the way can anyone tell me how well the new show Your Table is Waiting is being recieved. It certainly looks a better show to Over the Waves, and I'm thinking perhaps it should stay on after its tempory run.

• The Darkness to Light

OOOOOOOOOOoooo! I want the popcorn bucket so bad!

So is there no Chip & Dale mech this year in their Mexico outfit from the show?
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

I seem to miss all the cool merchandise! I saw zero park t-shirts when I was there. Note to self, plan to come during an event, not just before!!

Thanks for the photos.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Awesome pictures! The t-shirts are very cute!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Loves Mickey!

For A Table is Waiting did they do the rainy day greeting? Btw TDLFAN, I did the math and the passportis worth it only if you choose the chocolate cake over the pear dessert unless you are going for the Mickey an Minnie figures.

I seem to miss all the cool merchandise! I saw zero park t-shirts when I was there. Note to self, plan to come during an event, not just before!!
    ReggieB when did you come before? I've noticed they have started selling more t-shirts but the only thing is they don't always say Tokyo Disney Resort on them.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    For A Table is Waiting did they do the rainy day greeting? Btw TDLFAN, I did the math and the passportis worth it only if you choose the chocolate cake over the pear dessert unless you are going for the Mickey an Minnie figures.
    You mean, this promotion is a bogus attempt to trap guests into thinking they are getting a deal? I am SHOCKED!!!

ReggieB when did you come before? I've noticed they have started selling more t-shirts but the only thing is they don't always say Tokyo Disney Resort on them.
    I believe they have to pay more royalties to Disney if they print TDR on the tees?

• Loves Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    You mean, this promotion is a bogus attempt to trap guests into thinking they are getting a deal? I am SHOCKED!!!
    Seriously! Those little figures are expensive!! Some of my friends are doing it and the figures are cute but it's too much for me because you need to do it with two passports and unless you do it with someone else who is giving you their passport you would have to repeat the restaurants.

I do like the passport idea though and since I wanted to try the different offerings anyways it's worked out for me but I think it would have been better to offer more variety in restaurant choices.

every time i see those merchandise pictures from TDR i'm like

OMG how much they spend on their stuff lol Once again that is the proof that TDR has understood that generic merch like you have in WDW and DL is so STUPID .

go TDR go

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The artwork of mickey and gang riding attractions is exactly what I wanted to see at the Disneyland Resort. Really great on-model art. Love it!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DLRP_bopazot View Post
    every time i see those merchandise pictures from TDR i'm like

OMG how much they spend on their stuff lol Once again that is the proof that TDR has understood that generic merch like you have in WDW and DL is so STUPID .

go TDR go
    bopazot.. that is an interesting comment.. but I have to say.. At TDR, they are now making the same mistake they do at ALL of the other Disney parks worldwide: selling the same stuff in many of the shops. While you can find very unique items from one shop to the next... that trend seems to be diminishing at TDR. Also, while the merchandise at TDR is very very unique to the resort... most stuff there still feels "generic Disney" because the "TDR" name is hardly ever presented/used/printed on the merchandise.

Also in regards to Coheteboy's comment.. we at WDW get a lot of merchandise from DLR as well... only with the WDW put on it instead so I am quite familiar with merchandise that features the characters riding any specific rides... At TDR, some of the TOT merchandise also show Mickey riding the Tower.. I love this particular TOT coin bank item that has Mickey going up and down the tower everytime you drop a yen coin in it. Very cute!!! Also the cookie box in the shape of TOT with Mickey visible thru the window going up and down when you shake it.

• Will return Soon...

Thanks for the report TDLFAN! i didn't get a good enough look at the event as i hoped just too much else to see on a first visit! Perhaps next year :-P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast