• Sock Puppet

TDL: Mickey Ville, The Toon Town that never was

At the end of 1990, Hani el Masri, WDI Imagineer worked on the creative development of a new project "Mickey Ville" which was supposed to be a new land for Tokyo Disneyland.

It was the first study for a "Toon Town", but much different than the one we know, as the architectural style was more "medieval". For a very good reason: this Mickey's Ville was supposed to be a tribute to Mickey's "medieval" cartoons, like "The Brave little tailor" or "Mickey and the Beanstalk".

Another team lead by Tony Baxter and imagineer Joe Lanzisero was working on another Toon Town concept, this time for Disneyland, Anaheim. And it seems that when the executives of Oriental Land Company heard about it, they decided to wait and see how this "other" Toon Town will look once it'll be built at Disneyland.

We know the end of the story: Toon Town opened at Anaheim, everybody loved its great "cartoon" style, and so did the Oriental Land executives who decided to build it at TDL.

This marked the end of the Mickey Ville project, but you can see the rare artwork for the Mickey Ville project here:

Disney and more: Mickey Ville , The Toon Town that never was

And other artwork that Hani did for blizzard Beach, Tokyo Disney sea and others here:

Disney and more: Discover Hani El Masri, wonderful Designer, Illustrator, and former WDI Imagineer

[IMG][/IMG]

• is satisfactual.

Re: TDL: Mickey Ville, The Toon Town that never was

Wow, I'd never heard of this. Very interesting!

It has a real "little town, it's a quiet village..." feel to it.

From an artistic point of view, it would probably have been the better option, especially considering Tokyo's Fantasyland never got the full "European village" makeover a la Anaheim and Paris. It also looks like it would have stood the test of time better. But I'm not sure if the Japanese would have responded to it as well as they did to Toontown.

• Loves Mickey!

Oh wow! Mickey Ville looked like it would have been really cute! It would have been nice to have our own unique take on toon town at TDL. Than you for the pictures and article it is really great!

• Banned User

This is a most interesting topic. Mickey' Ville does look elaborate enough to be something that OLC would pay for... and Disney would not.

• Bangarang!

Shame it never made it. Although, I guess you can never say never.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yeah, it's too bad they didn't go forward with it. In addition to Mickey and the Beanstalk, this setting also blends in with several of the more recent Mickey shorts: Mickey's Christmas Carol, 3 Musketeers, and Prince and the Pauper.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Shame it never made it. Although, I guess you can never say never.
    Well probably not in Tokyo, since they already have a ToonTown. It would be wonderful to replace ToonTown Fair at MK with this. I know, I know...just a daydream...

I do wonder how they plan to add new rides to Tokyo's Fantasyland, as there does not seem to be any space left. If they eventually replace Snow White at MK with a Beauty and the Beast ride, as has been rumoured on other sites, then something similar might also happen at Tokyo, since the two Fantasylands are somewhat similar in layout. Beyond that...MK's Fantasyland still has plenty of room for expansion, but what happens in Tokyo? Perhaps some day they might tear down ToonTown to expand Fantasyland, that's the only option I see...Since the ToonTown concept is closely associated with Roger Rabbit, which now pretty much a dead franchise...Disney / OLC may not care too much about razing it.
    Down with the Hat

I think this is definitely fit for HKDL.

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by iluvHKDL View Post
    I think this is definitely fit for HKDL.
    You took the words right out of my mouth!

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Munchings & Crunchings

From what I hear, the Mickey's Toontown Fair replacement for WDW is based on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, so I don't think Mickey Ville will show up, but it sure would fit at HKDL!