• The Happiest Tees On Eart

Planning a trip to TDR and Japan, what do I do?

So I have finally gotten enough airline miles to go to Japan. So I am getting ready to start planning a trip. I plan to travel some time in 2010 I think. I have no idea what to do to start.

Where do I go?

How long do I want to be at TDR vs the rest of Japan?

Where do I want to go in Japan?

How do I know what hotels to pick?

Is there a guide or something I should pick up that can help me?

Are there hotels around TDR that are not Disney property hotels?

So much more. What do I do!!!

New designs all the time! Click the banner to see all the designs and colors!

• My Boss Has No Idea

Re: Planning a trip to TDR and Japan, what do I do?

is a travel agent out of the question?

COMING IN THE YEAR 2020

That is not the most ideal solution. I would rather put together it myself based on real people I do not really trust travel agents.

Where do I go?

Tokyo.

How long do I want to be at TDR vs the rest of Japan?

Japan is a fairly large country and it would take a heck of trip to see it all. When we go we stay in and around Tokyo and after three 10 day trips still haven't even seen it all.

Where do I want to go in Japan?

Depends on what you want to see. But Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka are popular cities and Mt. Fuji is a popular destination.

How do I know what hotels to pick?

For Tokyo many people here can give you help about hotels that they have stayed in. I've stayed at the Shinagawa Prince and the New Takanawa Prince and both were nice. Nothing special, but not bad. If we go next fall we will be staying at the Shinagawa Prince again because we love its location.

Is there a guide or something I should pick up that can help me?

I think Kevin Yee is selling a guide but I have not read it yet.

Are there hotels around TDR that are not Disney property hotels?

Yes, many on Tokyo Bay and a bunch in the area.

• Banned User

The question is way to broad to answer here. I would suggest you get Kevin Yee's Tokyo Disney planner book as it has great info about a "do it yourself" vacation to TDR and Japan.

AS for TDR.. I would suggest 3-4 days to enjoy that resort alone.

Besides Honshu (the main island), Kyushu is probably a must-go place. Visit Mount Aso, coz it's very amazing. There's a cable car system up to the volcano.

How long are you thinking of going? I would suggest three or four days in Tokyo. Add at least two days for TDR (you can't really do it any less and be satisfied). You can do a two day trip down to Hiroshima or one long day if you don't mind spending most of the day on a train--I believe it's three hours each hours by Bullet). But coming from the US--I highly reco Hiroshima as a visit. It's very moving. You should pick up a travel guide at your local bookstore. Tokyo is huge. I reco doing a tour your first day to see the city and all its different areas. It can be very intimidating your first day, but the subways and the rails work great there. Its very exciting and very different from US big cities. The fish market is awesome--go there first thing in the morning--by about 630am and see the giant tuna being auctioned off in Japanese. If you go back half of Sept which is great weatherwise you can catch Sumo wrestling and watch a match or two. I dont' recommend summer or winter. Once you get your guidebook go through it and earmark all the things you want to see and then narrow that down by how long and where they are in Japan. The train system is on time and pretty easy to navigate. Or you can also fly domestically there-but can be expensive. Remember, you lose a day flying to Japan but arrive back in the US generally the same day you flew. And book your frequent flyer ticket well in advance--at least six months. Back in 2004 I combined a trip to Tokyo with a trip to China which you could do as well. But back then only gave myself one day at TDR and it wasn't enough as I said. So I'm going back in May to do it right and see some more of Japan. Good luck, but get a guide book or two that has LOTS of pictures in it... Fromers or Discovery Planet are good. Then when you get closer you can get one that's specific for Tokyo. Good luck, planning!

2 week trip including 4 days at TDR. 2 at TDS and 2 at TDL.

I don't expect everyone to answer all my questions, this is more like tell me how you did a small thing or liked a small thing and I will put together things based on all this info.

Like I will get Kevins book. I will check out hotel names and locations listed.

Thank you all for your replies!

• Adventures with Duffy

I think two days in each park is a good amount of time. There will always be something you missed or wanted to do again, but thats what the next trip is for. :-) I wasn't sure I would ever go back, till I walked though the gates and just fell in love with the resort. I think the same may happen to you.

We stayed at the Shearton and I really liked it. Easy monorail access, love the large lobby, more of what we are use to here in the states. Free internet but you have to use hotel computers in the lobby. There is a nice room they have set up, your not just sitting there with people checking in behind you.

We found food at and around TDR pricey, we did the hotel buffet for breakfast at $33.00 a person. Ouch!!! Then ate cheap in the parks, eating hotdogs, hambergers, and pizza. Oh and don't miss the mickey waffles those are good. We did try other foods here and there.

First thing to do when you get into TDL, get your fast pass for Pooh, I remember thinking well I could skip it, not a good idea, its a great ride.

We didn't have much time in other parts of Japan, it was sort of a work trip for us. Squeezing in a few fun days. We did spend one day walking around Akabara(sp?) Electric town. We didn't come across any great deals like we were hoping but it was fun.

• Banned User

That would be Akihabara, which is well known for the electronic and collector stores.

As for the Fastpass for Hunny Hunt at TDL.. I think this is something that I always emphasize to all regardless:
    You must arrive at TDL before opening time and wait to get it. Start playing the Fastpass game right away. It's not just "Pooh's Hunny Hunt", but also "Astroblasters", and will be the case with "Monsters Inc Hide and go Seek". Many of the Fastpass attractions will run out of Fastpasses by 5pm. Pooh runs out usually by noon. If you choose to visit the park on a crowded day, it is imperative you show up early and do Fastpass, getting a new Fastpass as soon as the time restrain is lifted for the next one. That will be the only way you can see most of what's there and still enjoy other activities in the park, like their shows and parades which are 2nd to none of the DL parks.

• You have much to learn...

I've stayed only at the Hilton at Tokyo Bay-right behind the parks & connected by the resort liner- but prices aren't too cheap- We've paid as little as about $158 per night up to $350 or more per night depending on the days of the week, busy times, etc. I do like the hotel though

There are several day trips available for the Tokyo area- most of which you can get picked up at local Tokyo hotels- they don't come out to Tokyo bay though. I've used mainly the Hato bus tours. You can check out their website.

The tour of Mount Fuji and Hakone is really nice- you go up to the 5th station of Mt Fuji, travel from there to Hakone & take a short cruise, then take the cable cars up the mountain & get some pretty good views of Mt Fuji and surrounding areas and drive around the Hakone springs areas. I think they offer a 2 or 3 day stay there as well. Another tour is of Kyoto, you visit a shrine, then go for lunch and go to I believe the Koegan falls, which is supposedly one of the higher falls in Japan. Also there are several city tours of Tokyo itself. I went to the Tokyo tower last week, but wasn't impressed as I thought I would be- The views from the Eiffel tower in Paris are much nicer.

I've yet to get to Osaka & would love to go to Universal Studios someday but would recommend it as well. But it all depends on what you like to do and see.

I always only have about a week to spare & spend most of my time at the Tokyo Disney resort & would highly recommend the 4 day pass (or stay even longer if possible)- but they don't offer longer stays other than an annual pass.

Once you learn the train lines and routes, which can be a little overwhelming, travel isn't that bad and as hard as you think it would be.

Whatever you decide- have a great time

• Banned User

The Hilton and Sheraton are the best hotels in regards to the convenience to the TDR Line. I would go for those two options if the 3 main Disney Hotels are out of reach financially.

Hi, first time here.

you can refer to my travelogue to Japan at An amazing & adventurous journey Summer Craze, if you dont mind to read the asian style broken english.

and this too, An amazing & adventurous journey Autumn @ Japan