Thread: TDR in June

TDR in June

Hi, first time poster here.

I'm very glad to have found this forum, as it has reignited my passion for TDR . I'm planning to go on a trip with my bestie in summer(preferrably in June). Just like to ask a few questions in regards to planning our trip.

1) What are the crowds like at TDR in the summer months (June, July, August)? Of course, we'd like to go at a time that would net less crowds.

2) We plan to do a week long trip, allocating 4 days to TDR. While we're at TDR, we plan to stay in a hotel around that area for convenience. After the TDR excursion, my friend would probably like an extra day to shop around in a downtown area (e.g. Shinjuku) afterwards. But there's all the concern about the lugguage and stuff. Should we move out to stay in the downtown areas, or should we stay in the TDR area for the rest of the trip and take the long train trips around?

3) About staying in the hotels in TDR area, we plan to stay in the Bay area hotels, and then, may plan to splurge one night at Miracosta. Would this be a big hassle, in regards to switching hotels? If we really switch, when is the best time to switch during the 4 days?

4) I noticed the Duffy bear in various posts. Would merchandise of Duffy still be on sale next summer? Or it is only up till April, when the 25th celebration ends?

This trip is really important to us. First time without our parents, first time spending so much time at TDR, first time not staying in a hotel in the Shinjuku area, and possibly only trip we'll do together in the coming few years. I had this trip in mind long ago, but the damn economy has been pushing the exchange rates to extreme situations. I hope we can make this trip before we graduate from university, if not next year .

To close, just like to thank all of you for posting the great trip and photo reports. I was so estatic that I phoned my bestie who's studying in England around 6am in the morning (my time). Both of us are sooo envious of posters here who can visit TDR regularly . In fact, before my bestie left for UK, we regularly visited our home DL (HKDL). Of course, its nothing compared to TDR. The photos are really a life-saver during my rush-to-finish-revision times, and when my friend is lonely in her dorm !

P.S: To Ichigopara: Your son is so cute in the pictures !

• Just another Disney fan..

Re: TDR in June

I'll try to answer what I can. I'm sure others here can help to fill in the gaps and also give their own opinions which are also important for you to make good decisions.

1) What are the crowds like at TDR in the summer months (June, July, August)? Of course, we'd like to go at a time that would net less crowds.

Summer vacation usually starts around the third week of July, so it will be very crowded then. As for the other weeks, you can expect typical crowds. TDR always has heavy crowds on the weekends. I would try to avoind any of your days at TDR to fall on the weekend. That way you will be able to maximize your enjoyment.

2) We plan to do a week long trip, allocating 4 days to TDR. While we're at TDR, we plan to stay in a hotel around that area for convenience. After the TDR excursion, my friend would probably like an extra day to shop around in a downtown area (e.g. Shinjuku) afterwards. But there's all the concern about the lugguage and stuff. Should we move out to stay in the downtown areas, or should we stay in the TDR area for the rest of the trip and take the long train trips around?

This really is a personal preference.

You mention a week long trip, four days at TDR and one day for shopping at Shinjuku. How about the other days? Depending on what else you plan, you might be able to better decide if you want to spend any nights in the Tokyo area.

If it is just one other day for shopping, maybe it would be easier to just stay on resort property. However, if you plan to spend more than one day in Tokyo, I would consider moving hotels. I would think it is a little bit of a waste to stay at the TDR resort hotels if you aren't going to be visiting TDR on those days. You can find very nice hotels for the same price or cheaper in Tokyo.

I typically will stay in Tokyo and do the train daily when I go to TDR. Depending on where you stay in Tokyo, the train ride to the resort isn't bad at all.

3) About staying in the hotels in TDR area, we plan to stay in the Bay area hotels, and then, may plan to splurge one night at Miracosta. Would this be a big hassle, in regards to switching hotels? If we really switch, when is the best time to switch during the 4 days?

I personally haven't ever switched from a partner hotel to a Disney hotel. From what I have read and heard, this shouldn't be a problem to do.

Using common sense, I would say that your Mira Costa stay should either be the first or last night and not in the middle. If you are buying a 4-day passport, remember that the first two days are fixed. No parkhopping. So If you don't plan to do TDS the first day, maybe you should stay at the Mira Costa the last day. Then you can take advantage of staying right at the park you will be visiting.

4) I noticed the Duffy bear in various posts. Would merchandise of Duffy still be on sale next summer? Or it is only up till April, when the 25th celebration ends?

Duffy is TDR's version of the Disney Bear. Duffy is a mainstay merchandise line at TDR and is featured in the Cape Cod area of TDS. You won't have to worry...Duffy is going to be around for a long time.

Re: TDR in June

Thanks for your answer

We are still contemplating about how much we could do within a week-long trip, which includes the flight times and so. Essentially, if we go for a 7 day trip, the first and the last day is lost due to flight times. We can't do much, based on past experience. We'd like to put our trip emphasis on TDR, and of course pick up the compulsory gifts for friends.

About moving around from TDR area to downtown areas, I just like to question around how much train would it normally take. I know some are relatively close, but places like Shinjuku seem very far (we haven't done this before). If its not too long, I believe we might resort to staying in the TDR area for lugguage reasons (that transit walk at Tokyo station would be exhausting )

Oh, and hows Ikspiari? Is is a good location for simple shopping for half a day or so?