Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help with Japan vacation

Date April 26th through the 28th
    Hotel: Mira Costa
    3 day Passport
    Arrive in Japan on the 23rd (Staying in Tokyo). Arriving at the Mira Costa on the 25th, 1st day TDL (26th), 2nd Day TDS (27th), 3rd Day (28th) Park hop. On the 29th I will be heading to the airport.

This is my 2nd visit (1st was 5 yrs ago)
    Questions:
    Best place to buy Airfare Tickets?
    How do I make a reservation for the Mira Costa?
    Will it be busy during this time?
    well the Cirque show be playing?
    Anything else I should know?

• Central Florida

Re: Need help with Japan vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
    Date April 26th through the 28th
    Hotel: Mira Costa
    3 day Passport
    Arrive in Japan on the 23rd (Staying in Tokyo). Arriving at the Mira Costa on the 25th, 1st day TDL (26th), 2nd Day TDS (27th), 3rd Day (28th) Park hop. On the 29th I will be heading to the airport.

This is my 2nd visit (1st was 5 yrs ago)
    Questions:
    Best place to buy Airfare Tickets?
    How do I make a reservation for the Mira Costa?
    Will it be busy during this time?
    well the Cirque show be playing?
    Anything else I should know?
    I have never been to TDR, so you may take my comments with a grain of salt...however, my husband and I will be there the week before you plan to go, so I have been doing a lot of research.

First of all, I have heard from numerous people that the parks are extra crowded on weekends, TDL in particular. You are planning to go there on a Sunday. Perhaps doing TDS on Sunday and TDL on Monday would be better.

Also, the Miracosta's rates for the dates you plan to stay are two nights Regular rate and one night Peak rate. The weekdays before (Apr. 20-23) are Value rate, with Fri. Apr. 24 at Regular rate. Perhaps going during the week before would leave more money for souvenirs? Just a thought.

We bought our airfare directly through the airline's web site.

There are two options for reserving a room at the Miracosta. You can call the reservations center in Japan, or go to their web site - they recently launched an English language reservations system.

Happy planning!
    WDW Annual Passholders

Our Trips:
    Oct. 2006 - Disneyland/DCA (offsite)
    Feb. 2007 - WDW - Coronado
    Oct. 2007 - Disneyland Paris (offsite)
    Apr. 2008 - WDW Honeymoon - Grand Floridian
    Sep. 2008 - WDW - Pop
    Jan. 2009 - WDW - AK Lodge
    Apr. 2009 - Tokyo DL & DisneySea - Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay
    Nov. 2009 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 2011 - WDW Caribbean Beach
    Dec. 2012 - WDW Pop
    Sep. 2013 - WDW Caribbean Beach
    Jan. 2014 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside

Oct. 2014 - Disney Cruise
    2015 - Disneyland
    2019 - Tokyo Disney

• Banned User

Keep in mind you visit to TDR touches the beginning of Golden Week, a major holiday in Japan. Expect some heavy crowds around the 28th, so plan to get up early and use FP to maximize the amount of rides to do. Be prepared for long lines for most everything. I would recommend making reservations for the hotel's restaurants.
    Cirque will play on those days, however, there are "dark" nights, so check with their official online site.
    About the Miracosta.. and all the hotels on TDR, they sell out ahead of time. Make your reservations asap. I wish I could help but I have never stayed in those hotels so I do not know the proper procedures for booking. However, do not be surprised if your first choice is sold out already. Consider the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, Amabassador hotel, or any of the official hotels at the resort.. such as the Hilton, Sheraton Grande, etc etc...

In regards to air fares.. you have to shop around. Try all the discount online retailers... travelocity, etc etc etc... and also check the individual airlines' websites.

so 23, 24, and 25th best bet?
    Last edited by Brisal73; 01-04-2009 at 10:24 PM.

• i heart plunging v-necks

i believe hotel reservations can now be made here:
    Tokyo Disney Resort: Vacation Maker: User's Guide

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• Adventures with Duffy

Yes the parks are more crowded on weekends. Now they are still crowded on week days, but its much better on weekdays. Use Fast Pass as much as you can. We would get fast passes in the morning and use them in the afternoon evenings and it worked out great.

We booked on line with the air carrier we were using. It had the best prices. It could be a long flight for you(not sure where you are flying from) Remember you might want to upgrade to more leg room. We did and it helped. Although next time I want to upgrade to bus. class, theres just not enought leg room when your 5'9" and my husband is 6'0". United who we flew(and wouldn't fly again) offered at the gate at the airport a lower rate for bus. class, so you may want to check to see if an upgrade is cheap enough and worth doing.

Hope this helps a little and have a wonderful trip. Should be really pretty there that time of year. :-)

• near Anaheim Ice

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    Yes the parks are more crowded on weekends. Now they are still crowded on week days, but its much better on weekdays. Use Fast Pass as much as you can. We would get fast passes in the morning and use them in the afternoon evenings and it worked out great.
    Does Tokyo verify the one-hour return hour (unlike the stateside parks)?
    Giraffes, Gazelles, Gzebras, Glions and Oy, Gvultures.

Part of the DL magic since 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by travelskip View Post
    Does Tokyo verify the one-hour return hour (unlike the stateside parks)?
    from what i remember TDR is very strict on the return times. Unless this has changed like the previous poster suggested.

• Banned User

I have put the return time window to the test twice, and twice I have been turned away with a "Gomennasai... " so yes I am here to attest that they do not allow you to enter lines after the ticket has expired. Also, the TDL tickets have the valid date along with times printed in big bold letters... they do check that as well. I personally appreciate them being so strict on this. Prevents backing up more FP people into the line at later times at the expense of longer stand by lines. It's simply not fair. You snooze, you loose. It bugs me terribly that they do not feel the need to enforce this Fastpass regulation in the US parks.. reason why I have always been against the Fastpass system in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I have put the return time window to the test twice, and twice I have been turned away with a "Gomennasai... " so yes I am here to attest that they do not allow you to enter lines after the ticket has expired. Also, the TDL tickets have the valid date along with times printed in big bold letters... they do check that as well. I personally appreciate them being so strict on this. Prevents backing up more FP people into the line at later times at the expense of longer stand by lines. It's simply not fair. You snooze, you loose. It bugs me terribly that they do not feel the need to enforce this Fastpass regulation in the US parks.. reason why I have always been against the Fastpass system in the first place.
    A bit off topic, but I think the reason the U.S. parks are not strict is that attractions tend to break down. In Japan broken attractions is all part of fate and it doesn't matter you still can't use the Fastpass.

Side Questions... How far are the other theme parks from Tokyo?

Ok back on topic... anyone has a nice itinerary for visiting TDL and TDS.

Mine for TDL:
    Enter at opening - Get Fastpass for Winnie the Pooh
    Ride some of the Fantasyland rides and then get FP for Space Mountain, After go ride Winnie the Pooh with the FP.
    Next ride Buzz, Star Tours, use FP for Space Mountain, ride Monsters INC (will this have a FP?)
    Get Fastpass for Splash Mountain, eat lunch, ride Haunted Mansion, see Country Bears, get FP for Big Thunder Mountain, and then use FP to ride Splash Mountain.
    Ride Jungle Cruise, Frontierland Train, see the Stitch Tiki, use FP and ride Big Thunder, and have dinner. While waiting for food one person get a FP for another attraction for later that night.
    After dinner ride Pirates and then do whatever afterwards.

how would this work? Ddo the fastpasses usually run out in that order?

• Loves Mickey!

A bit off topic, but I think the reason the U.S. parks are not strict is that attractions tend to break down. In Japan broken attractions is all part of fate and it doesn't matter you still can't use the Fastpass.

Ok back on topic... anyone has a nice itinerary for visiting TDL and TDS.

Mine for TDL:
    Enter at opening - Get Fastpass for Winnie the Pooh
    Ride some of the Fantasyland rides and then get FP for Space Mountain, After go ride Winnie the Pooh with the FP.
    Next ride Buzz, Star Tours, use FP for Space Mountain, ride Monsters INC (will this have a FP?)
    Get Fastpass for Splash Mountain, eat lunch, ride Haunted Mansion, see Country Bears, get FP for Big Thunder Mountain, and then use FP to ride Splash Mountain.
    Ride Jungle Cruise, Frontierland Train, see the Stitch Tiki, use FP and ride Big Thunder, and have dinner. While waiting for food one person get a FP for another attraction for later that night.
    After dinner ride Pirates and then do whatever afterwards.

how would this work? Ddo the fastpasses usually run out in that order?
    I don't know if I can help very much with this because I don't usually go all day. I think that Monsters Inc. will be open won't it? So maybe this will work maybe not.

1. Fastpass for Monsters
    2. Go to Pooh and get in line before fast pass starts being used and it should be maybe a 15-25 minute wait.
    3. Get fast pass for Splash Mt.
    4. Next would be Thunder or Space Mt. maybe Buzz?
    5. After this I have no clue and think maybe it's good to have a flexible plan based on whats available regarding fast pass and wait times for attractions so that if you need to make any changes it won't be a problem.

If it's a busy day fast passes will be over around 12pm. I think if you want to use your time best bring lunch with you if it's going to be a busy day so that you don't have to wait in line. If you want to eat on property try eating at odd hours if its busy but if it's crazy busy it won't matter when you eat. Don't forget you have the Sherwood Garden cafe and a conbini at TDLH. Are there any shows that you want to see? Do you want to see the parade? Maybe other people will have a much more organized plan for you I think though.

A couple of years ago I once had a FP for an attraction that had broken down late in the day at TDL and was told that it would not be ready by the time the park closed, so the CMs instead handed out a special blue FP which was valid for any attraction at TDL or TDS.
    So I decided to use it about 6 months later at Meet Mickey.

Also another time when I had a FP for an attraction that had broken down, I was told I could come back later in the day when the attraction was up and running and they would still accept it

^ Same thing happened to me when I was evacuated from Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

• Adventures with Duffy

Im sorry, we use one or two of ours FP late, and no one said anything to us and allow us. So I figuer it was like it is in the states.

• Minion FOREVER!

Hi, Brisal, which "other" theme parks are you referring to?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast