Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Loves Mickey!

Countdown Party and New Years trip report

Originally we weren't going to go to the countdown party this year so we didn't even try to win tickets through the lottery. However my husband was offered the job with the company he wanted so his parents offered to babysit so we could go out and celebrate so we bought tickets online. Of course despite the signs people started gathering a few days before the countdown.

There was a nice clear view of Mt. Fuji that day so I took a picture from the station!

This year we were meeting up with some friends who were staying at the TDLH so they took turns at night and I went in the morning while my husband dropped off the baby with the grandparents. I didn't know that countdown goods go on sale before the parties so even if you don't go to the parties you can buy the goods at the parks and at Bon Voyage. So I bought the blanket at Bon Voyage on my way to the line!

I was trying to explain to my sister how insane the wait and lines are for these parties so I took a video of the lines for her but didn't have time to videotape the people in the parking lot so a huge chunk of the line is missing but you can get an idea from this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=PTS-CLIilN8

My husband and SIL got there around lunch time so we went to Beckers for lunch.

So then around 3pm we were moved towards the gates and it looked like we had a pretty good position.

We were of course going to aim for the Mickey show stop of the parade. Then maybe around 6pm we became aware of a rumor that something was going to happen at the castle and Mickey would show up at the castle. As the time got closer it seemed like this would indeed be the case but it could just turn out to be a rumor. We decided to go for it and change our plan to be sitting in front of the castle because we would still be able to see the parade from both sides. We separated in teams of people who would run and the people who would hold bags. (We were a big group of about 8!) I chose to not run because I was still nervous about the last countdown party I had been to! This turned out to be super lucky because my friend pulled us over to the side because she had spotted Toshio Kagami! So we got to take our pictures with him!

I look like some one who was sleeping on the floor of the parking lot and crushed by a crowd of people after waiting in the cold all day but thats ok ha ha!

More pictures are coming!

Re: Countdown Party and New Years trip report

Ahh! I wish I would have found out sooner that the theme was going to be HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL! I so would have gone! can't wait for more pics and video

• Loves Mickey!

Cast Member blockade

We scored a place in front of the castle and the was a video guy setting up to record something on stage so we knew that something was going to happen at least and our gamble payed off.

After that we went to dinner at Blue Bayou because the Chef was on the television that morning for winning an award. It was my first time eating there so I was really happy to finally get a chance to try it!

We bought thank you gifts for our friends at the crystal shop while the electrical parade was going on and returned to our seats. Everytime the announcement for the countdown parade would come on the castle would light up in red and white and it looked really nice!

The spotlights and lasers were going and it was really exciting!

• Loves Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Ahh! I wish I would have found out sooner that the theme was going to be HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL! I so would have gone! can't wait for more pics and video
    It was really fun! I love the video you made where you got to be in the show!

• Loves Mickey!

So this countdown parade was a little different because it actually starts with Mickey. Then at the middle of the parade when it stops Mickey showed up from the top of the castle and there were some dancers. The cutest part for me was when they did the Status Quo song and they put the projects of the other characters like Daisy and Goofy during their parts.

Whether or not you like Highschool Musical it was fun! Seeing the witch from Snow White with pom poms was awesome! It was a really fun idea and I'm glad that they went with it.

• Loves Mickey!

Then they did the countdown with Mickey still at the top of the castle. I love how Mickey was pointing to the fireworks like "wow! look at the fireworks!" and the different gestures he would make it was really cute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=MmMMGTz2PO4

Then after the show Mickey goes back inside and shows up at the end of the parade with Minnie wearing their anniversary costumes!

The countdown party was pretty exciting! We did one attraction and then took a taxi to my parents in law's home so we could take a bath and have New Years with the family the next morning. Then in the afternoon we went to TDS for the next day.

• Loves Mickey!

Monorail decorations!

We had a slow easy going day at TDS. First we did BBB! and while we waited in line my husbands sister was able to catch Mythica. After that we had tea and cappuccino at the S.S. Columbia. I made a Mickey in my cappuccino.

After that we went to Fortress Exploration and had fun looking around and going on the ship and playing around there as well. Then afterwards we had warm drinks and bought this coffee and milk mouse they had.

Then we had curry for dinner at Arabian Coast rode the carousel, rode Sindbad and caught the little mermaid show. After that my SIL went home early and my husband and I rode Journey and 20,000 leagues under the sea.

We ended our evening at the Bellavista Lounge with champagne cocktails and cake.

• Loves Mickey!

So these are the last pictures for now. It's just some photo's from the new years greeting at TDS and video from the TDL greeting.

• Loves Mickey!

Decoration at Ikspiari

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=NZGd7I3VgN4

New years set menu at the Ambassador Hotel Hyperion Lounge.

• The Darkness to Light

Thanks for posting your trip report about the Countdown parade. I haven't had time to look for video becuase of work.

That's interesting how they essentially used three Mickeys for one parade and was able to get away with it if you sat in front of the castle.

Also, I don't remember seeing that many westerners in one place at TDR before that weren't guests of the park! I didn't know OLC had that many working at TDL!
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Great trip report! I still can't imagine how people have such patience to queue up days before the actual event @_@. The fireworks was awesome as well. I wish we could have something like that over here (no big pyro on New Years Day T_T).
    Last edited by hikarii; 01-04-2009 at 07:22 AM.

• World Traveler

Great report. Thanks for sharing!

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Great report!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Wow that looks like so much fun! Although I think I could take a pass on waiting out on the ground for weeks in advance

In the New Year's set, is the thing with the Mickey pick in it a mochi? What does it have around it?

• Banned User

Let's not exagerate.. people do not wait there for weeks nor days.. a day or possibly up to 2? yes. But then again, how long did Star Wars fans wait before those movies opened??

Anyways.. GREAT REPORT Ichigopara!! I love the souvenir new year holiday cup and popcorn bucket!! (me likes a lot ) You are so lucky to have gone and enjoyed this countdown. I admit that I do not care much for the HSM stuff but based on your videos and pictures, it does seem like a lot of fun.. Then again, this is TDR. Anyone surprised??

Great job Ichigopara!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast