Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Tokyo DisneySea 2-14 Photos and mini report

Quote Originally Posted by Another Voice View Post
    Why don't you think a DisneySea park could be built in the U.S.? Assuming that Disney actually had a management team that was interested in the parks, of course.
    I DO think a DisneySea park COULD be built in the U.S., but not exactly as what we see in Tokyo.

I'll just give a few examples...Fortress Explorations, here is a place that has a lot of little hidden rooms and corridors and stairs everywhere. From what I recall I saw one elevator. Now consider how many tons of strollers and ECV's you see in WDW and consider what kind of complaints Disney would receive because they can't get to those areas. It would be a throughput disaster.

On the same subject, most of Fortress Explorations is not marked for dummies, so you actually have to....EXPLORE to see what is there. Yes, there are maps if you know where to look or a CM gives one to you, but I've noticed that guests are usually totally lost unless there's big signs everywhere.

Another reason I think is how much access there is, like on the SS Columbia and the other ship in front of Fortress Explorations (Renaissance?) I just have a feeling that those parts would be off-limits because guests would be doing damage or doing things I've seen guests in WDW do that I'd never expect from Japanese guests. There are a lot of nice props in the Renaissance Ship that are behind ropes or barriers, but those wouldn't last.

Although it's not a Disney park, I remember at IOA when Spiderman first opened, they had the office area which had these props in grey paint that had some fruit and a toaster, etc. There was also these computers and various props. In a very short time, they were pretty beaten up.

So Disney could do a lot of upkeep to make up for it, but I doubt they'd put the same effort as OLC does.

Those are just some things I thought about while there.

One other thing I forgot to mention, as much as it pains me to say this, I'm not sure how well the Arabian Coast idea would work in a U.S. park these days.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    One other thing I forgot to mention, as much as it pains me to say this, I'm not sure how well the Arabian Coast idea would work in a U.S. park these days.
    Morocco at EPCOT Center.

I DO think a DisneySea park COULD be built in the U.S., but not exactly as what we see in Tokyo.
    WDC would never spend that much money on the US parks.
    I'll just give a few examples...Fortress Explorations, here is a place that has a lot of little hidden rooms and corridors and stairs everywhere. From what I recall I saw one elevator. Now consider how many tons of strollers and ECV's you see in WDW and consider what kind of complaints Disney would receive because they can't get to those areas. It would be a throughput disaster.
    I am more concerned about the overweight situation in the USA...since Fortress Explorations requires going up and down narrow staircases...
    On the same subject, most of Fortress Explorations is not marked for dummies, so you actually have to....EXPLORE to see what is there. Yes, there are maps if you know where to look or a CM gives one to you, but I've noticed that guests are usually totally lost unless there's big signs everywhere.
    Ride geeks need not bother flying to Japan.

So Disney could do a lot of upkeep to make up for it, but I doubt they'd put the same effort as OLC does.
    Nor the same budgets.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 03-06-2009 at 01:41 AM.

I too notice the vast difference in “accessibility” between the U.S. and Japan. But I notice it everywhere, not just in the parks. I think it’s a cultural (and legal) difference between the countries more than it is a difference between Disney and OLC (although WDW does seem to the migration point for tax-payer supplied Hover Rounds, it’s like waves of antelope sweeping across the Serengeti some days.). I think something like Fortress Exploration or the S.S. Columbia could still be built. It would just a challenge for design rather than of concept.

It was known for a long time in Disney that easiest way to maintain a park is to keep it clean. It’s the momentum of trash law – clean places tend to remain cleaner while dirtier places become more trashed at an ever accelerating pace.

In the “days of The Dead Guy”, guests figured they couldn’t really get away with littering because they would be “caught”. Same thing for breaking something – they assumed sharp-eyed Disney security would swoop down upon them. But Disney cut back and the assumption of security vanished. Trash cans overflowed and garbage floated in the Rivers of America. People are more likely to add to a pile of garbage rather to create a new one.

If Disney would maintain a proper level of cleanliness and maintenance at the start, I don’t see any reason why props as nice as the Renaissance could be created. There are a lot of restaurants and shops that have the same level of detailing, and they are maintained because they are revenue generating. All that needs to happen is for Disney to rediscover that same concept for attractions.

The dumbing down of domestic Disney parks is also a direct management decision – it’s not a function of the market. The Smithsonian draws more people than the Magic Kingdom does. Should Disney build and create a real park for normal adults (much like EPCOT Center started out as), it would be a big hit. But for right now Disney in the U.S. is only marketing to children and adults with adjustment issues – they simple aren’t even trying for the mainstream tourist dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Morocco at EPCOT Center.
    I think of Morocco as a bit different, it was built because the King decided he wanted a pavilion and spent lots of money on it.

On another message board, the question was asked which pavilion should be removed and replaced with another one, a lot of people said Morocco should be removed.

I don't know if that's because of the turmoil in the middle east, although obviously Morocco is practically european more than anything.

I don't think Disney would risk putting in a whole land that might not sit well with the more narrow-minded of Americans out there.

About 20 minutes south of Disneyland on "The 5" is the Irvine Spectrum - one of those entertainment/dining/retail mega developments. It's right in the heart of the reddest of Red State Orange County and it has a complete Persian/Middle Eastern theme throughout. There's never been any complaints or demands to rip it down or to cover-up the design. I think Americans understand things much better than we give them credit for. It's only when the idiot few find a microphone (or are handed one by the media looking for ratings) that things get out of hand.

Besides, Aladdin and Jasmine have been inserted in 'It's A Mall World' now and no one taking a special offense at them.

Wow.... some of those photos are breathtaking........ im now going to spend the rest of the day trying to convince my wife to go to Japan!!!!
    "If you want breakfast in bed sleep in the kitchen!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    I don't think Disney would risk putting in a whole land that might not sit well with the more narrow-minded of Americans out there.
    You know, I agree with you to some degree but I also think it would be a chance for Disney to educate same narrow minded people into accepting that there are other cultures and traditions in this World besides what happens in our backyard. Even if a fantasy based Arabian style area was built, I think it would play well if that was the intended theme in that area. No one seems to object to IOA's Arabian section of the park in the Lost Continent area.
    Then again, as you stated.. there are so many narrow minded americans out there and especially in the vecinity of WDW, where racism has always been rampant.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    You know, I agree with you to some degree but I also think it would be a chance for Disney to educate same narrow minded people into accepting that there are other cultures and traditions in this World besides what happens in our backyard. Even if a fantasy based Arabian style area was built, I think it would play well if that was the intended theme in that area. No one seems to object to IOA's Arabian section of the park in the Lost Continent area.
    Then again, as you stated.. there are so many narrow minded americans out there and especially in the vecinity of WDW, where racism has always been rampant.
    I agree with you, but I'm just saying I don't think Disney wants to worry about any offensive content, remember when they changed POTC because the pirates were chasing the women? I mean if they're going to be worried about that incredibly minor thing, I just don't know if they would build an entire middle-eastern land these days (meaning post-2001).

This also stems from my question, if Aladdin hadn't been released back in the early 90's and assuming all things with Disney animation had been equal, would Disney be as successful with the film today? I just wonder. I've seen too much short-sightedness and negativity about other cultures lately from many Americans and it's wearing on my outlook a bit. It was definitely a nice departure to see other places on the other side of the world and see how nice people are to foreigners (from what I've seen)

Also, The Lost Continent isn't supposed to be just Arab themed, despite the fact that they do have a Sinbad show, it's a mixture of different themes, medieval, greek and arabian, or at least it was before Harry Potter.

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Thanks for the pictures!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123