Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Turtle Talk to open on October 1, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Let's see, how does it fit? You're in an ocean liner, below decks, and you look out a large window and see the ocean with sea life in it. I think it fits just fine.
    Unless Crush in Japanese is anything like the English version talking like a modern surfer dude, that doesn't fit, but I'm a purist

If the Country Bears can get away with singing in 'Davy Crocket' in Japanese, anything's possible.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Another Voice View Post
    I think for a lot of people the show is interesting once, as a demonstration of the technology. People aren’t used to talking back to animation and there’s a novelty there. It wears off quickly.
    In a country like Japan, where interactivity with technology is such a common part of everyday life, I am not sure this attraction would be a sensational out of the ordinary experience it is in the USA. Then again, add any given Disney character and the japanese go berseck.. so who knows.

• You have much to learn...

I don't know why they are bothering putting it in TDS either- I wish they would have come up with a better concept

They should have been really smart and put in an interactive Duffy attraction- Just imagine all of those beautiful Japanese girls out there absolutely wetting themselves over talking to Duffy!

Plush sales would go thru the roof- which they usually do on a daily basis anyway!

• is "Turn[ing] It Off"

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Let's see, how does it fit? You're in an ocean liner, below decks, and you look out a large window and see the ocean with sea life in it. I think it fits just fine.

The park is indeed light on stuff for younger park-goers. And everything in Mermaid Lagoon is from The Little Mermaid--having a character show from a different movie would not fit at all.

Just my two cents. While adults may not find it to be the most exciting thing in the world, kids are amazed and love it. The fact that the theater is small means there is always a line at Orlando--not sure about Anaheim. There's probably no line in the Animation building at DCA for anything, is there?
    I think the kids will love it, but I think that is also part of the problem. TDS has the feel of a Disney park aimed more towards adults, to me. I'm not trying to say that children don't love it, too, because I'm sure they love it just as much. It's just that ... while I was living in Japan, the middle school students and high school students wanted to go to TDL if given the choice between TDL and TDS.

Unlike Monster's, Inc. (which will attract guests to TDL), I can't figure out how Turtle Talk is going to attract guests to TDS. In regards to the Japanese families without an annual passport, I keep asking myself would a kid choose to see the new Turtle Talk or would they choose to go to TDL with all its attractions and Halloween event. I probably won't get the answer to my questions until sometime around October when it opens or around September when the soft opening starts.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I think the kids will love it, but I think that is also part of the problem. TDS has the feel of a Disney park aimed more towards adults, to me. I'm not trying to say that children don't love it, too, because I'm sure they love it just as much. It's just that ... while I was living in Japan, the middle school students and high school students wanted to go to TDL if given the choice between TDL and TDS.
    I've been making the same claim for a couple of years now despite many arguing my point, I'm glad to see others also agree that one of Tokyo Disney Seas biggest problems lies in the fact very few attractions can be enjoyed by the entire family. Thats one of the problems than we look at the other problem and thats the fact that a large majority of Guest who are largely made up of Japanese Girls choose TDL. And I think the reason is because Guest visiting TDL not only get a better selection of attractions but can also escape reality and be a kid again. These people can join in and dance in the shows and parades, hug all the characters and the atsmophere is fun fun fun. At TDS the mood is a little more serious and most of the attractions and entertainment is aimed towards a more serious audience who don't want to join in with the shows and chase Mickey for his autograph.

...most of the attractions and entertainment is aimed towards a more serious audience who don't want to join in with the shows and chase Mickey for his autograph.
    Which was exactly the design goal behind Tokyo DisneySea. OLC wanted to expand the market for their resort instead of pander to the crowd they already had. Disney did the same thing with EPCOT Center at WDW and attempted to do the exact same thing with Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim. A resort must appeal to a large group of people with many different backgrounds, tastes and desires.

• Banned User

Which was exactly the design goal behind Tokyo DisneySea. OLC wanted to expand the market for their resort instead of pander to the crowd they already had.
    With the introduction of Turtle Talk, more characters, and rumours of more family style shows and attractions on the way for Tokyo Disney Seas it appears the new direction hasn't worked out to good.

A resort must appeal to a large group of people with many different backgrounds, tastes and desires.
    And thats the thing that TDL has gotten right from the start, its a park that appeals to all ages. Disney and OLC overlooked this when planning TDS.

Tokyo Disneyland was designed under a completely different business model than the one that exists today. Back in the 1980’s, Tokyo Disneyland was modeled as a “family” park along the lines of Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. But even there, more than an third of the attendance came from adults without children.

Two things happened. Disney changed the parks to a “resort” model. It wasn’t enough anymore to settle for day visitors and collect admission money. Disney wants the entire vacation budget from hotel to meals to souvenirs. Second and specific to Tokyo, the “adults without children” market never really appeared. That niche was filled with young working women. While they are still very lucrative, there are issues. Specifically they don’t spend as much as other adults do and they stop going to TDR once they are married. Even worse, as Japan’s population ages, their numbers are shrinking.

Disney faced the same situation with the Baby Boomers. The company was really created on the boom in the 1950’s and 1960s and caught a second wave in the 1980s and 1990s when the Baby Boomers had children of their own. Now that those waves are over and Disney has shifted its marketing focus. A quick visit to WDW shows how aggressively Disney is going after the retired Baby Boomer market these days – the Disney Vacation Club is not aimed at the young couple with toddlers but at their grandparents with lots of disposable income. Disney’s California Adventure was designed for well-off professionals, the people who enjoyed wine tasting and the “hip, edgy irony” of an amusement park themed as an amusement park.

Tokyo DisneySea was designed to be a similar compliment – to expand the audience for the Tokyo Disney Resort and to position the resort for changing demographics. One can certainly argue if the park has been successful at that (DCA is a clear failure) or if it’s an issue that should have been addressed at all. But the park was designed to accomplish certain goals and those goals are baked in the cement. Adding ‘Crush’ to the park is, perhaps, just a little fine tuning but doesn’t fundamentally change the nature of the park.

• Banned User

Adding ‘Crush’ to the park is, perhaps, just a little fine tuning but doesn’t fundamentally change the nature of the park.
    Not yet but Crush is just the start here. TDS in the last year has seen a lot more characters added to the park, some that were once exclusive to TDL. This year TDS is scrapping the adult theme a la carte event to go with a TDL style Halloween event. We've heard sounds from credible sources that more Pixar related attractions are in the pipeline and lets not forget that BraviSEAmo is being replaced by World of Colour. The park is changing because the current balance is not right.

I'm sure given the economic situation that OLC is doing what it can to keep the parks filled, even if it's a short term overlay on the long term business model. I hope OLC is smart enough to understand the implications of what they are doing and avoid the second disaster that is being created at California Adventure right now.

The Pixar-ification is being heavily pushed by Corporate Disney. They want the parks to be All Brand, All The Time and OLC is not isolated from decisions made in Burbank. Even Paris is prying open the bank account to build a cheap 'Toy Story' kiddie land expansion that exists only to push 'Toy Story' DVDs and plush.

I think Its a good additon to disney sea, I dont think I would flock to see this attraction but as another voice has told us, a theme park should appeal to all groups of people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12