Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 Days Away!

• The 70th Matt Named Super

4 Days Away!

I leave in 4 days for Tokyo! Any last things I should know? Thanks for all of the posts on here!

• Central Florida

Re: 4 Days Away!

I have no tips for you because I've never been there before...I just wanted to say have a great time!!!! My husband and I are not too far away from our trip to Japan...we leave in 4 weeks. WOO HOO!!!!!!!! Be sure to report back and tell us how awesome your trip was!
    WDW Annual Passholders

Our Trips:
    Oct. 2006 - Disneyland/DCA (offsite)
    Feb. 2007 - WDW - Coronado
    Oct. 2007 - Disneyland Paris (offsite)
    Apr. 2008 - WDW Honeymoon - Grand Floridian
    Sep. 2008 - WDW - Pop
    Jan. 2009 - WDW - AK Lodge
    Apr. 2009 - Tokyo DL & DisneySea - Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay
    Nov. 2009 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 2011 - WDW Caribbean Beach
    Dec. 2012 - WDW Pop
    Sep. 2013 - WDW Caribbean Beach
    Jan. 2014 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside

Oct. 2014 - Disney Cruise
    2015 - Disneyland
    2019 - Tokyo Disney

Here's the best tip I can give you: Have a good time!

• secure all cargo

No advise unfortunately, but hope you have a fantastic time. Post some pictures please!

1. Don't go WDW Commando style. The Tokyo parks are to be savored.
    2. Explore the nooks and crannies at DisneySea.
    3. See some live entertainment offers. Especially Dreamlights.
    4. Snack instead of having large meals. TDR has lots of interesting choices.
    5. Shop early; avoid the stores at closing time.
    6. Learn a few simple phrases on the flight over ("thank you", "may I have..."). The Tokyo cast members will go far out of their way to accommodate us English-only types. It's polite to return the favor.
    7. Understand that you’ll be heading home with a burning desire to go back to Tokyo Disney Resort.

• You have much to learn...

Have a great time- Be prepared for crowds & lines, My friend is there this week & leaves this coming Sunday and he said it must be some sort of spring break out there since he noticed more than usual teens in large groups at the parks.

Check out the new Monsters Inc

• Miss Bee Taylor

Have a great time!

We--at family of five (my kids are adults though)--leave in 70 days!

If you are like us--you are extremely excited to go!
    WDW-July 2010
    **Tokyo~Tokyo Disney Resort**May 25-June 3, 2009**

Disneyland--all the time (we're Californians)
    Disneyland Paris-2002
    WDW-1999, 2000
    DisneyCruise-2000

• Resident of the Caldera

SuperMatt70: you've been here long enough to know the drill. Get online at the parks 45 minutes before the gates open and know where you're going and walk quickly.

Another Voice knows his stuff, but you have no choice but to do it commando style at Tokyo Disneyland if you want to get on more than three or four rides in the day. (Go over to Deep Disney and take a look at the times on the tip boards for today: 210 minutes for some attractions!).

See Mystic Rhythms in DisneySea: it's cool.

See Big Band Beat if you like 40s swing music in DisneySea.

Don't bother with One Man's Dream II in Tokyo Disneyland. Do the attractions.

Good luck on getting in on a soft opening of Monster's Inc.!

• Loves Mickey!

Have fun SuperMatt70! The Campus Days ended yesterday so hopefully there will be less people when you come since school will be starting soon. It will still be busy this weekend because it's a 3 day weekend but we will see what happens after that. Since sakura will hopefully be blooming there is a chance there will be less people in the parks because they are enjoying that. Can I ask a question? How big is your party? Also I don't remember if it's your first trip?

1. Go see Big Band Beat! no matter what it's just so fun! Mystic rythms is also really nice!
    2. Go to Teddy Roosevelt lounge and have a drink and the camembert cheese with bread (soooo yummy!!)
    3. If you want to enjoy the SS Columbia but don't have time for a sit down meal then when it gets really busy or you need a short break just drop in for a cappuccino a take a short rest.
    4. Yes, you have a lot to do but take time to enjoy TDS and not just run from attraction to attraction.
    5. At TDL check out some shows and work those fastpasses!
    6. The cheese sticks next to Monsters Inc are very yummy!
    7. If you need a break from crows at TDL the Sherwood Garden Cafe has yummy sandwichs and coffee. I recommend the almond caramel latte!
    8. You have a better chance at winning the lottery in the morning but the show is much prettier at night.

• Banned User

My seasoned advise..
    Get there early (45 mins to an hour) before park opening and stake a place so you can be among the first guests to enter the park. You will also have a nice view of the characters coming out to greet guests just before the gates open. Do as many Fastpasses as you can as it will help you see much more throughout the day.. and in TDL, you will need to be savy about this. The stand by lines can be very very long (2 hrs ++ at times.)
    Do not miss:
    -Hunny Hunt, Monsters Inc, Mickey Mouse Revue (closes permanently in May), Splash, Big Thunder.
    -Both Daytime and Nightime parades. Try to catch one of the live shows.. like Minnie o Minnie or One Man's Dream.
    Keep in mind the lines to attractions close earlier than the park, depending on particualr waittimes.. EG- if hunny hunt has an one hour wait time posted, then the line will close one hour *before* the park closes... so DO NOT wait to hit a ride at the last minute. You may be denied entry. Again, this depends on the ride's particular wait time. Same for shops. They close at closing time sharp.. unlike the common practice at WDW/DL where gift shops remain open for a while after the park has closed.

At TDS.. DO everything! Big Band Beat is a must see, regardless if you like swing music or not. Classy show. The only show I would skip is "Over the Waves". Do both the afternoon ("Mythica") and evening ("BraviSEAmo!) lagoon shows as they are unique to TDS. Ride all major attractions.. Do not skip the Little Mermaid show in Mermaid Lagoon.
    Most importantly.. TDS is a very extravagantly crafted park. Take the time to stop and take it all in... It's stunning attention to detail is unprecedented among the Disney parks... so TAKE YOUR TIME there.

• TDR

Have fun! Get there early, of course. And try as much popcorn as you can. Other than that, bring an umbrella. It may or not rain this coming week. This week shouldn't be TOO bad with crowds, but keep in mind a lot of students are off on spring vacation now. Be prepared to wait. And I guess, I would suggest getting in line for Monsters Inc. right away!

Back with an observation that I’d like to throw out and get people’s opinon on as well.

In the west, we generally hold that “good service” is when we are exempted from the rules. When we ask to sit up front, or for a change on the menu, or to take just one picture even when the signs say “no”. It’s my impression is that “good service” in Japan means that all the rules are exactly followed. This insures that everything runs smoothly for everyone involved.

If the monorail is to be at the next station at 10:34 a.m., this means it can not wait for the family trying to get the kid out the stroller and for Mom to fold up the stroller and to get the older brother (who is playing with the smashed penny machine twenty yards away) to hold the diaper bag while Dad searches the strollers bags for the camera lens all before they get on the train.

At WDW, the monorail would wait for the family – it’s “polite” and “good service”. But it is also an inconvenience of all the people already on board and those waiting at the next station and the station after that. At Tokyo Disneyland, the emphasis would be to make sure the train arrived at the next station when it was promised. I feel that “predictability” (probably the wrong word for it) and “dependability” are important elements in this circumstance.

This is not to say that everything at Tokyo Disney is rigged, it’s just that I think it’s important for us to understand and respect ways in which the parks are different. I know of people who, in the U.S. parks, always ask for the best seat in the boat, the best table in the restaurant and other wise ask for “exemptions” from the rules. In Tokyo, in my opinion, it’s much more polite to “go with the flow” and accept being in Row 4 rather than asking for the front. And don't be upset if the bus or monorail leaves in front of you. Look at the clock for the next arrival, you can be certain the next one will be on time.

Just an idea.

P.S. And don’t worry about being huge crowds before the parks open. It’s been my experience that things are orderly and calm (unlike the massive crushes that happen at WDW). And people will sit down for the parade so that everyone can see!!!!! Another aspect that really needs to be imported to Orlando.

• Resident of the Caldera

AV: people sit down for the parade in Tokyo because they have been trained to do so. Anyone who tries to stand is quickly asked to sit by a CM (and this happens constantly as we all know). I have two herniated discs in my back and cannot sit on the ground at all--just can't do it. So, I stand at the back, and sometimes have to keep moving back as the CMs try and get me to sit. Their English isn't good enough to understand why I can't sit, so it's easier for me to just move farther back until everyone who's going to watch is finally seated. There's no other way to handle the situation (since no accomodation is made for those who can't seat on a seat with no back).

The entire society has been trained to always think of the needs of the group first, before the needs of the individual. That's the only way to keep things from becoming too chaotic in a country that small with so many people. Kind of like the Borg.

That said, when I go on Pirates or Indy, whether in Tokyo or Anaheim (et al.) I politely request to sit in the front row "if possible" and am treated the same way by the CMs in either country. "Please wait on the side for the next vehicle." Of course if everyone asks for the same thing it wouldn't work at all, but so few people ask it doesn't seem to cause a problem. I've seen some Western visitors be very rude in Tokyo and have no desire to join that club.

When I gave my Splash Mountain FastPasses to a Japanese couple who were at the park with me (but came later in the day when the FastPasses were gone), my friend looked at me and said, "You are finally becoming Japanese."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Another Voice View Post
    In the west, we generally hold that “good service” is when we are exempted from the rules. When we ask to sit up front, or for a change on the menu, or to take just one picture even when the signs say “no”. It’s my impression is that “good service” in Japan means that all the rules are exactly followed. This insures that everything runs smoothly for everyone involved.

I have been in the west my entire life but I do not think that "good service" revolves around my needs. But that's only my opinion as I do not feel the need to ask for special treatment or requests everywhere I go, be it at Disney or at restaurants.. But if that is something you feel you have to do, I do not think you will have a problem with it with the CMs at TDR. However, be prepared to not be understood. Many of the CMs there simply do not speak english and they are trained to keep the line moving whenever possibly. But I do not think you will have a problem.

If the monorail is to be at the next station at 10:34 a.m., this means it can not wait for the family trying to get the kid out the stroller and for Mom to fold up the stroller and to get the older brother (who is playing with the smashed penny machine twenty yards away) to hold the diaper bag while Dad searches the strollers bags for the camera lens all before they get on the train.

Monorails at TDR are fully automated but the CM in the back does have control of the door. I would advise you do not fiddle around and get on asap as they move those monorails on schedule. This is not WDW where people just take their sweet time getting on and off rides and monorails, inconveniencing others in the process.

At WDW, the monorail would wait for the family – it’s “polite” and “good service”.

I personally feel that is poor service in the part of WDW. I should not be made to wait for others.

This is not to say that everything at Tokyo Disney is rigged, it’s just that I think it’s important for us to understand and respect ways in which the parks are different.

The park is not rigged but it is very efficiently operated. In Japan, I have found that if youtry to change their ways, you make it more difficult for yourself. So I do not try. TDR is mercifully not opeared likeWDC operates their parks and that I really appreciate.

Someone else may have contributed this point earlier and if so I apologize. I teach in public schools here in Japan and right now is at the end of the year. Guess where all the schoolgirls go (my daughters included)---to Tokyo Disney. So expect higher than usual crowds and longer waiting times.
    Also two recommendations I have---Try the Gyouza dog at TDS, but expect to wait a bit for it. Buy a popcorn bucket---it's cheaper to pay for a refill and both parks have a great selection of different flavors so you want to try them all or atleast the curry flavor in TDL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast