Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

The Lost DisneySea

Removed
    Last edited by Another Voice; 06-30-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Re: The Lost DisneySea

Removed
    Last edited by Another Voice; 06-30-2009 at 08:59 AM.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Its all interesting stuff but its really got nothing to do with this section of the forum. This is a proposed concept for a Disney park in Long Beach, which shares only its theme with Tokyo Disney Sea. If you discuss the differences between both parks I could apreciate you posting it here but you havn't.
    Last edited by Malin; 03-24-2009 at 03:15 AM.

• Central Florida

AnotherVoice, I'm enjoying reading your posts. Please continue! And maybe you and others who have been to DisneySea can talk comparisons.
    WDW Annual Passholders

Our Trips:
    Oct. 2006 - Disneyland/DCA (offsite)
    Feb. 2007 - WDW - Coronado
    Oct. 2007 - Disneyland Paris (offsite)
    Apr. 2008 - WDW Honeymoon - Grand Floridian
    Sep. 2008 - WDW - Pop
    Jan. 2009 - WDW - AK Lodge
    Apr. 2009 - Tokyo DL & DisneySea - Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay
    Nov. 2009 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 2011 - WDW Caribbean Beach
    Dec. 2012 - WDW Pop
    Sep. 2013 - WDW Caribbean Beach
    Jan. 2014 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside

Oct. 2014 - Disney Cruise
    2015 - Disneyland
    2019 - Tokyo Disney

I will be writing about how much of DisneySea (Long Beach) made it into DisneySea (Tokyo) as well as the other areas that were the source for the design of the Tokyo park. The Port Disney project plays a significant role in the history of the TDR and I thought it might be of interest to Tokyo fans to see where "their" park and the "resort" concept came from. The connections run from the neon-bright obvious comparison between the R.M.S. Queen Mary and the S.S. Columbia, to a hotel at the gateway of the park (although the hotel Tokyo received was supposed to be built at WDW), to the inspiration of the Arabian Coast down to subtle aspects like why there is so much live entertainment at TDS.

If our “experts” are offended by this, I will stop.

• Banned User

If our “experts” are offended by this, I will stop.
    Feel free to continue, I was only making a point that so far I had read nothing in the first two post that would give reason why you had posted this in the Tokyo Disney Sea section. If you plan to include Tokyo Disney Sea discussion in future post than who am I or anyone else to tell you to stop. I look forward to reading the comparrison's and how much of the Long Beach project was saved for Tokyo Disney Sea!

• Munchings & Crunchings

It is all very interesting, and I would also love some comparisons. The only thing missing is artwork to accompany the descriptions. I realize this is probably not going to happen, but it's difficult to get an idea of where all of these areas relate unless you're extremely familiar with the Long Beach harbor. I'm pretty familiar with it, but not enough to conceptualize where these hotels and things were in relation to everything else. Anwyay, it's still interesting information.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Oh, are you going to discuss the "competing" WESTCOT idea in relation to Port Disney, and how, ultimately, the Long Beach park just turned into a bargaining chip in dealings with the city of Anaheim?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Oh, are you going to discuss the "competing" WESTCOT idea in relation to Port Disney, and how, ultimately, the Long Beach park just turned into a bargaining chip in dealings with the city of Anaheim?
    This sounds very similar to the current Hong Kong Disneyland situation, as Disney has apparently been in discussion with Shanghai.

Thanks for posting this stuff Another Voice I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for this write-up...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

Wow, very interesting! Thank you, Another Voice. I always wondered about the details of the "Long Beach Project."

• Fleeting Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Another Voice View Post
    I'll start by describing the scope of what was planned. It's not that we were cheated out of a great theme park, there was so much more planned than ever made it to Tokyo. But the worst aspect about the Port Disney project wasn't that it was never built, but it was dreamed up by a Disney that no longer exists. We will never see plans on this scale again.
    Is it really so hopeless though? I'd like to believe that Imagineers can still dream this big, it's just that they're never allowed to build it. Look at it this way, if WDI can design something as expansive, immersive, and amazing as Port Disney, but then reality sets in and it gets scaled down radically, and you still end up with a DisneySea, isn't that a win overall? The key is to dream big, dream so big it seems impossible, so that what actually gets built is still phenomenal. Then all the parts that were cut out could be revisited as expansion, or inspire new attractions for another park, or maybe whole other parks. That's the legacy of WED I think, the imagination to dreams the impossible, and the knowledge and skill to build as much of it as you can.

We just need management to regain some faith in WDI.

nice!! i enjoyed reading your posts... thanks for the share!
    thanE

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    This sounds very similar to the current Hong Kong Disneyland situation, as Disney has apparently been in discussion with Shanghai.

Well, sort of. At this point Shanghai is still a real possibility. At a certain point when Disney knew the Long Beach "Port Disney" project was never really going to happen, they still continued to act as if it was to make the Anaheim city councel beg Disney to build next to Disneyland instead. I don't know if Shanghai will ever be in that postion where it's just vaporware, used to get HK to put up more money....I guess time will tell.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast