Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: TDR Line long overdue enhancement!!!

SuperDry, OLC should not have to be concerned about that. Besides, if you already have a Suica/Pasmo, then what difference does it make to load a 4-day pass onto it , or just charging your card to use on any days and times? Your uber cool idea seems redundant to me. Also, As far as I know, people staying at the official hotels (Miracosta, Ambassador, TDHL) are still getting the free DRL passes for the lenght of their stay, is that not the case? All other guests not carrying a IC card can still buy the individual tickets at the machine, which as you know is an inconvenience that takes only seconds to do.
    In fact, for guests who are visiting for 2-4 days in a row, it's more convenient to buy the multi-day passes as opposed to using a Suica, because it would be cheaper to do that way.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-05-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    In fact, for guests who are visiting for 2-4 days in a row, it's more convenient to buy the multi-day passes as opposed to using a Suica, because it would be cheaper to do that way.
    That's exactly my point - what would be convenient would be to be able to purchase a multi-day Resort Line pass and have it stored on your Suica (as an option) instead of requiring a separate ticket. What would be really jiffy would be to have the turnstiles automatically turn single-journey fares into 1-4 day passes automatically once the threshold for savings was reached. This is the kind of thing they've been doing in Hong Kong with the Octopus card for years (not this exact thing, but things like this), and Japan seems to be behind. But I guess Japan was 5+ years behind with the whole Suica concept to start with. And note that I'm not complaining - I'm just saying "what would be nice."

• Banned User

The IC Cards are not designed to be discount cards. Some deal like the one you propose would require a major re-programming of the computers in charge of this system. The fact that we now got the ability to use the IC Cards on the DRL is a major improvement, considering how long it took OLC to respons to the local guests' needs in regards to making using the monorail more convenient. I won't push my luck on this further by asking them to consider screwing up the programming to incorporate a feature that would most likely apply to TDR's monorail service only.

Personally, I think getting the DRL tickets have collector value. There is no Suica/Pasmo that will replace the lovely artwork that can be seen on those monorail tickets so exclusive to TDR, especially the limited edition ones..

The IC Cards are not designed to be discount cards.
    I'm not asking for it to be a discount card. What I proposed was the ability to use the Suica as ticket media for a type of ticket that they've offered for years and continue to offer: the multi-day unlimited-use pass.

Some deal like the one you propose would require a major re-programming of the computers in charge of this system.
    I'm sure you've done a detailed analysis of the situation to come to this conclusion.

The fact that we now got the ability to use the IC Cards on the DRL is a major improvement, considering how long it took OLC to respons to the local guests' needs in regards to making using the monorail more convenient.
    Absolutely.

I won't push my luck on this further by asking them to consider screwing up the programming to incorporate a feature that would most likely apply to TDR's monorail service only.
    I'm not asking them to do anything. I'm just making an observation.

Personally, I think getting the DRL tickets have collector value. There is no Suica/Pasmo that will replace the lovely artwork that can be seen on those monorail tickets so exclusive to TDR, especially the limited edition ones..
    And since Suica/Pasmo use is optional, those special tickets would still be available even if they had the intergration I talked about.

I won't push my luck on this further by asking them to consider screwing up the programming to incorporate a feature that would most likely apply to TDR's monorail service only.
    Being that we're talking about Japan, I have complete confidence that any programming necessary would be well planned, done correctly the first time, and work properly from Day One.

The technology SuperDry is referring to has been in place ever since the SUICA system was first implemented. For example, my SUICA card also works as a commuter train pass. I have a one-year window that allows me to go from my home train station to my office train station and any point in between without taking any additional funds from the card (aside from the amount used to buy that one year service). If I exit at a station not in between those points, then I am asked to pay an additional amount not covered along my route. It's essentially a 365-day all-you-can-ride pass with additional cash money charged to it in denominations of 1,000yen for times when I need to exit outside of my regular route (like when I visit TDR).

I believe the Disney Resort Line system is capable of doing that already, except that OLC is waiting to see how this new setup works within the line's "circular route" and their business model. FYI, Hong Kong and Singapore's system both use Sony's Felica technology for their smart cards, just as Suica/Pasmo's systems.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    FYI, Hong Kong and Singapore's system both use Sony's Felica technology for their smart cards, just as Suica/Pasmo's systems.
    Hong Kong uses the "smart" part of the smart card in several innovative ways:

- Public and private buildings use it for access control instead of issuing their own cards
    - Some shopping centers have promotions where if you visit the center, they'll give you $1 off your next same-day subway ride. They have a kiosk in the mall where you have your card scanned, and it loads the promo onto it. Then, if you pass through any subway turnstile later that day, it gives you the discount (and presumably the mall operator gets billed).
    - The airport express is free in the opposite direction for same-day travel. So, if you accompany someone to the airport or go to meet them, you pay the one-way fare. There's nothing special you have to do - when you use the card for the return trip on the same day, it just knows not to deduct the fare.
    - You can check in for your flights and check your bags at a couple of in-town airport express counters, up to 24 hours before departure. The in-town check-in service is free, but only for users of the airport express train. The way they do this is that in order to get to the airline counters in town, you go through a turnstile and it scans your card and deducts the fare for the train. Then later (possibly the next day) when you actually board the train for the airport, that turnstile knows you've already paid and does not deduct the fare again.
    - The airport express train fare includes free connecting subway fare. When you travel to the airport and start out on the subway, it has no way of knowing where you're going, so it just deducts the standard subway fare. But when you connect to the airport express, it knows if you had a same-day subway ride and credits you back that amount before charging the airport express fare.

The thing about the special fares rules for the airport express is that they require no pre-registration, use of a kiosk, or anything else. Each turnstile at each station just knows what the rules are and automatically applies the special fare as appropriate. Being able to do things like this is one of the primary reasons the smart cards were deployed in the first place. There's no reason that the TDR Resort Line could not implement such programs if they chose to do so.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    The technology SuperDry is referring to has been in place ever since the SUICA system was first implemented. For example, my SUICA card also works as a commuter train pass. I have a one-year window that allows me to go from my home train station to my office train station and any point in between without taking any additional funds from the card (aside from the amount used to buy that one year service). If I exit at a station not in between those points, then I am asked to pay an additional amount not covered along my route. It's essentially a 365-day all-you-can-ride pass with additional cash money charged to it in denominations of 1,000yen for times when I need to exit outside of my regular route (like when I visit TDR).

I believe the Disney Resort Line system is capable of doing that already, except that OLC is waiting to see how this new setup works within the line's "circular route" and their business model. FYI, Hong Kong and Singapore's system both use Sony's Felica technology for their smart cards, just as Suica/Pasmo's systems.
    Then I stand corrected. Thanks Joe for your contribution to this topic. That is very good information that I was not awared of. Hopefully Superfry will get his wish.

• Journey On!

One more thing.. every Disney Resort Line station features a different style of souvenir ticket.. and there are 4 stations in all... do what youmust
    I did not know this. Thank you! Too bad I missed this info before the anniversary finished...I bet there were special ones. Oh well. Thanks for the tip!

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    I did not know this. Thank you! Too bad I missed this info before the anniversary finished...I bet there were special ones. Oh well. Thanks for the tip!
    There was also a special promotion where if you collected all four passes, you got a Disney Resort Line pin. I was given a set of passes and the pin by a friend who collected them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    One more thing.. every Disney Resort Line station features a different style of souvenir ticket.. and there are 4 stations in all... do what youmust
    They used to do it this way, but unless I'm mistaken, it's now different. Starting on April 15, they have special ticket stock to commemorate the opening of Monsters Inc Hide & Seek. There's 4 or 5 to the set. But, instead of having one version at each station, all stations have the same version, rolled out over a period of time. So now, all stations have the 1st version, then in a couple of months, they'll all switch to the second station, and so on. IIRC, the special ticket program will continue through 3/31/2010.

• Banned User

You could be right SuperDry... I have not bought any tickets since they installed the IC card reader.

• Just another Disney fan..

SD is correct. The new promotion means all stations use the same ticket for the one day pass. There are four stages. If you collect all four ticket styles, you will get an exclusive pin.

• is "Turn[ing] It Off"

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    SD is correct. The new promotion means all stations use the same ticket for the one day pass. There are four stages. If you collect all four ticket styles, you will get an exclusive pin.
    The new promotion is like the DRL for the 25th Anniversary promotion... collect the resort line tickets from the opening (Mickey), 2nd Stage (Minnie), 3rd Stage (Donald), 4th Stage (Goofy), and 5th Stage (Minnie) ticket. With that promotion, you had to collect four different tickets and give it to the Resort Gateway Center for a free pin.

The latest promotion is very similar. On the DRL promotion website, it explains everything. The current style is a Monsters, Inc. ticket. After that, they'll have a Summer program, Halloween, Christmas, and Winter Program style ticket. With this promotion, it's my understand that you only need three different tickets for a free pin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12