Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

anyone buy imported disney merchandise and know if they will charge custom fees?

Im planning to buy the key chains but i dont wanna end up paying customs fee that will eventually cost me double. any info will be great sorry for the inconvenience.

• Banned User

Re: anyone buy imported disney merchandise and know if they will charge custom fees?

AS long as the keychains do not exceed the amount required for tax purposes by the Customs Dept.. I don't see why you would have to. But I am not all that familiar about tax matters in regards to shipping from overseas.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: anyone buy imported disney merchandise and know if they will charge custom fees?

You know, there are a few of those big keys on Ebay, you might try there to avoid customs and high shipping charges. They are selling for more than the list price, so either way you pay, but it's at least fairly easy...so, yeah.

Tokyo Disney Land limited Dream Key 25th anniversary - eBay (item 110369527686 end time Apr-02-09 23:59:12 PDT)

There were also these custom keys you could get made for you in the park and have personalized.

Tokyo Disney Land Mickey Dream Key 25th anniversary TDL - eBay (item 110371935915 end time Apr-08-09 21:35:58 PDT)

Update: Oh, never mind, I see that these auctions have already been seen in the other thread, LOL. I guess it's redundant info.

• Banned User

The point of buying these decorative keys is the personalization. Unless the auctioneer is willing to go to the park and have a key made specially for you, it's pointless to buy one.

• Resident of the Caldera

I've carried suitcases full of souvenirs back from the Tokyo Resorts and never paid duty. I've also shipped boxes back on almost every trip and never had to pay customs charges. I wouldn't worry about a little key. You're allowed to bring $800 worth of stuff back into the US duty free.

• Banned User

That is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    You're allowed to bring $800 worth of stuff back into the US duty free.
    ... and the next $1000 of goods are assessed a flat 10% duty regardless of what it is. Once you go over $1800, then the assess duty on a varying schedule based on what the items are. (There may be an exception for alcohol or tobacco over the allowed quantity limit where a duty more than 10% is charged before you get to $1800 of value)

Also, there are some things not subject to duty. The one time I was over the $800 limit, I had among other things a $500 framed Disney cel that I got at TDL. I was expecting to pay a bit of duty, but the inspector said, "Oh, that's artwork? No duty on artwork!" and he crossed it off my delcaration and that put me below the $800 limit. My experience in this and other times is that as long as you make a truthful declaration, US Customs will go out of their way to have you pay no duty or as little as possible. It's when they catch you trying to sneak stuff in that they get upset.

Let me agree with Mr. SuperDry - rule one is to honest with Customs. They are more than willing to help you...if you are up front with them. The first indication you're trying to get something through, then that's the tip off to look at everything.

Both parks and all of the Disney hotels offer a shipping service. It's a little expensive but they will pack up your purchases and ship them directly to your home. I've found the expensive more than worth the hassle of hauling additional suitcases through the airport - and I trust the Japanese shipping company to treat my package with more care than United Airlines could possibly dream of. I have never paid duty on anything I've shipped.

• Banned User

I agree... be honest with Customs. They will pretty much leave you alone as long as you are not bringing forbidden items such as food, meat, soil, contraband..like fake knock off brands from China, exotic animals, controlled medication or substances in huge quantities..which in that regard then becomes "illegal trafficing" and you will be up for very hefty fines and prison terms. If you are a merchand bring in merchandise for sale once after arriving in the USA, youmust declare everything you have as you have to pay importation taxes. That's pretty much the basics.

I got quizzed by customs for declaring that I bought $600 worth of Tokyo Disney Resort cd's on one trip... They looked at all the cd's and let me through without a problem.

• Banned User

Cds and DVDs do raise a flag with customs when you come in from Asia.. since music and movies are one of China's and Philipines' biggest counterfit knock off ventures and a violation of copyright laws. Anyone bringing dvds and cds should be prepared to show them to Customs official.

Another tip I've learned is to keep everything in the Tokyo Disney Resort bags. I had one Customs Officer open up my case. When she saw all the plastic bags with Mickey & Friends, all she said was "There they are" and passed me right on.

• Banned User

Funny you mention that, as not long ago, a female custom agent in Honolulu, who was obviously a Disney fan, saw my TDR 25th anniversary bags and asked if I had extra one for her to keep. Lucky for her, I did!! Getting extra bags for gift giving purposes is a hallmark of service at TDR, for those in the not-know category.

You know, before she opened my bag, I told her that all I had were a bunch of TDR souvenirs. She joked if I had any for her! We talked about TDR for five minutes (fortunately there was no line).

Itís a small world indeed.

And yes, the shops will often (if not always) put extra bags in along with your purchase. I'm assuming this is because they expect most purchases to end up as gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Voice View Post
    And yes, the shops will often (if not always) put extra bags in along with your purchase. I'm assuming this is because they expect most purchases to end up as gifts.
    They'll also ask you if they are intended as gifts and remove all the price tags from each item for you.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast