Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

25th anniversary dvd set.

Just a quick review of the newly released 25 anniversary DVD programs from TDR.

If you are a park show lover, these dvds are for you!!

There are two dvds available. (Can't use the actual name of the dvd because they are printed in japanese on the box, but I am sure Joe, Ichigopara or TDdad will help with that)

First up, the 25th year DVD. This dvd program lasts just under an hour, presented in widescreen format, it does not leave any stones unturned.
    The program is divided by each of the 5 stages of the anniversary year.

1st stage:
    It starts off with a quick review of April 15th, 2008 festivities, 25th anniversary opening ceremonies and character greeting. You briefly see the multitude of guests walking down World Bazaar that glorious morning as CMs welcomed them into the park. Having been in the middle of this spectacle... and being the silly sentimentalism I am (yes, TDLFAN does have feelings, who knew?) it brought tears of joy to me as it made me relive that fabulous moment. I have even slowed down the video in hopes of being able to catch a glimpse of myself, Joe or anyone I would know parading into the park, but no such luck.
    There is also a generous amount of footage from the 25th anniversary parade "Jubilation", park decor, 25th anniversary fireworks, etc etc.
    TDS is also featured during their "Spring Carnival event".

2nd stage:
    Summer time. Again, we get generous views of the anniversary shows that took center stage during this season, such as the fabulous "Starlight Dreams", Cool the Heat, and other special anniversary programs. The grand opening of the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel is featured and we get a quick tour of the hotel's facilities.
    TDS is featured as well during the summer time, with Disney a la Carte and bits from the "Your Table is Waiting" show.

3rd stage:
    Disney's Halloween, generous footage from the 25th anniversary edition of the halloween parades, both daytime and nighttime version. They show us great vistas of the special park decor this past year.

4th stage:
    Christmas Fantasy at TDL.. generous footage from the Xmas castle show, Stitch's Xmas greeting, park decor, fireworks etc etc.
    TDS' Harborside Christmas also featured here, with footage from the Xmas shows, especially "Candlelight Reflections'
    As an added bonus we also get to relive both TDL and TDS' Countdown parties.. Countdown Parade at TDL, and the strike of Midnight at TDS. Very cool segment of the dvd.
    One complaint: No New Years' Holidays featured here, why is that?!?!

5th stage: Grand Finale
    Much to my surprise the shows now being presented at both TDL and TDS are greatly featured here as well. Over at TDL, lots of footage from "Dreams Within" (get those hankies out for the finale, you all true Disney lovers). Also featured is the excellent TDS' production "Mickey's Dream Co." Again, these are shows that play with the emotions and powers of dreaming and making those dreams come true. Does not get more "disney syrupy" than that!!

Anyways.. all in all, this particular program is heavy on show segments but also gives us an idea of most other wonderful things at the parks during this 25th year.. like the decor and park feel during the events.
    It is a great souvenir to cherish for years to come and one dvd that makes you realize that even thought this anniversary event has been criticized by some as "lacking" the year overal was everything BUT lacking at TDR.

KUDOS TO OLC and Disney. TDLFAN rates this dvd program 5*****.

--------------------

The 2nd 25th anniversary dvd is more a tribute to the 2 most popular shows of the entire anniversary me thinks. Here you you will find the complete shows, filmed in real time for both TDL's "Starlight Dreams' summer castle show, and TDS' Ala Carte show, 'A Table is Waiting'. Both were very popular with the fans during the anniversary and you can see both shows in their entirety and find out why they were such great stage moments during the 25th anniversary. Each show lasts about 20 mins each and are presented in widescreen formats. TDLFAN rates is 5*****

----------------------

Both dvd's play a brief introduction showing scenes from around the parks, before getting down to business and showcasing the anniversary programs and events. As a special feature, the dvds also feature the 4 minutes long "The Colors of TDR" program, which was originally released as an extra dvd in a previous book publication of TDR about a year ago.

Both of these excellent souvenir dvds can be purchased separately or together in a boxed set. There is also an extra special set that also comes with a leather case where the dvd set can be stored. The zipper on the leather case features a small "Dream Key" zipper pull, which has been the symbol of the anniversary's main theme... 'Unlock Your Dreams'.

To end.. I highly recommend these dvds if you are a fanatic of Disney live shows and parades. These shows are not park travelodges, and if you purchase thinking you will get a resort tour, you will be disappointed. This dvd set is strictly a souvenir of the 25th anniversary happenings, shows and parades. For those of you in the USA, it will give you an idea of the vast amount of entertainment that can be found year long at TDR. The previously released 2 dvds of TDR entertainment of the past 25 years would be excellent companions to these new 25th anniversary dvds, and with those 4 dvds in your collection, you would be the proud owner of TDR's entertainment legacy to relive over and over. Very nifty, eh?

Hope this quick overview of these dvds help you decide if you want them in your collection.. but keep in mind.. these dvds are region 2 and may not play in US systems unless you have a region free dvd player. Programs are also available in blue-ray format.

Happy viewing everyone.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-06-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Re: 25th anniversary dvd set.

Let me quickly add that I have received the BluRay version of these discs and they are contents are identical to what Mr. TDLFan described except that everything is on one disc. If you like the shows at TDR, this is a must buy. I'm very happy they have included complete shows for those of us who were unable to make all the special events.

The only slight drawback on the Blu Ray version is that the definition not only skips from segment to segment, but also shot by shot during the main 'documentary'. For most people, though, it will not really be noticable.

And it's made up because the 'Colors of TDR' is in fully 1080. For anyone who appreciates the detail at the parks, this is another "must have" item. Let it run on a loop and lite a candle in front of your television set.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    but keep in mind.. these dvds are region 2 and may not play in US systems unless you have a region free dvd player. Programs are also available in blue-ray format.
    It's worth noting that even though Blu-Ray discs have region coding, the regions are different than they are for DVD: thankfully Japan and North America are in the same Blu-Ray region, so the TDR Blu-Ray discs should play in ANY North American Blu-Ray player.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I was planning to pick this up next month, after missing the entire Anniversary year, this will be a great keepsake for me to enjoy highlighting what is the most suscessful year in Resort history. Thank you for posting the review TDLFAN.

• Banned User

Just keep in mind... it is "show heavy".

• Disney fan from Thailand

i just check at amazon japan but look like it's out of stock .there are only 2nd hand from their seller. so ,i have to buy from cdjapan instead.

• Loves Mickey!

We bought the bluray and love this DVD! The colors of TDR bonus section was really nice! Did that one bad camera they used for Starlight Dreams bother anyone else?

• Resident of the Caldera

Agreed all around: a great set. I don't do Blu-ray (a format that's not going to make it beyond a few years). A standard DVD, with a great upconverting DVD player like an OPPO, will make your standard DVDS look damn good on a hi-def screen (and mine is 73 inches, so it's pretty demanding).

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Agreed all around: a great set. I don't do Blu-ray (a format that's not going to make it beyond a few years). A standard DVD, with a great upconverting DVD player like an OPPO, will make your standard DVDS look damn good on a hi-def screen (and mine is 73 inches, so it's pretty demanding).
    While I agree that Blu-ray will eventually be replaced, I won't spend money on a DVD if the title is available in blu-ray. And while up conversion does present a better picture, there is no way it comes even close to matching a blu-ray image! Like you I have invested in formats that died (VHS, laserdisc, even the CED disc formats) and so I can understand your not wanting to invest in a new format. But the image and quality of Blu-ray in full 1080p blows away anything prior to its arrival, and in my opinion, clearly worth the investment into a blu-ray player (which is becoming cheaper by the day).

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    We bought the bluray and love this DVD! The colors of TDR bonus section was really nice! Did that one bad camera they used for Starlight Dreams bother anyone else?
    I was. I did notice "Starlight Dreams" look grainy in some spots, and I think it's because of the very low light conditions of the show. Still, many of the projections and lighting on the castle goes unseen due to the way they edited the show, placing emphasis on the stage.
    Also, I wish they had gathered a bunch of CMs as audience members and videotaped this after hours. They chose to video tape a real performance and the constant flashing of cameras becomes a bit distracting to me. In previous show programs, they have videotaped especially for filming.. like the Fantillusion! dvd.
    Still.. I am just glad they are puting all of this on sale for people like us who love these shows.

My blu-ray of this shipped from hmv.co.jp today!!! Can't wait to see it.

• Banned User

I am coming over. I want to see how much nicer it looks on your player over my cheap dvd-HD player.

• Banned User

BTW... just watched this dvd again today. I can't help it. It makes me emotional.. I cry thru the whole thing. Tears of joy of course. I can't believe the 25th ends this week... and we have nothing to look forward to at WDW for the 40th. It's so sad.
    I hope DL delivers for their 55th.

• You have much to learn...

My friend brought back the set for me a few weeks ago & I finally watched some of it this past weekend & it was great- I have the original dvd's, but my friend was able to copy them for me so I can watch them on a US dvd player- I do have a dvd player that plays all region dvd's, but haven't hooked it up yet. Great review TDLFAN

It looks like a great DVD, I think I will buy it. Thanks for the review TDLfan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast