• Membre

Talking I'm going to Tokyo !

Hi everyone,
    I'm going to Tokyo this summer, in august. I've already been to Japan once, but TDR was not scheduled that time, so next time I definitely want to go! I know august is probably not the best moment in the year to visit, but I simply have no other option.

I'll be visiting Tokyo for about 10 days, and I hope to spend 2 days at TDR (1 day for each park). I first thought about spending a night in a Disney hotel, but my friend likes Disney, but he's not a fan at all, so I thought it might be a bit too much for him, considering the huge crowds I assume there'll be. I think we'll go one day in Tokyo Disneyland, then visit Tokyo Disneysea 2-3 days later.

I have a few questions for TDR experts :
    - Anyone experienced TDR in august, is it bearable ? (crowds+hot weather). Please don't depress me , I can't wait to visit!!!
    - Do you think it is safer to purchase fixed-date tickets on TDR official site (I assume they don't ship actual passports overseas but you get a voucher), as they say that entry is guaranteed with those even on high attendance days and that passports may not be available at the ticket booths on days of high attendance ?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Olivier; 04-06-2009 at 05:24 AM.

• Not here to help

Re: I'm going to Tokyo !

if you get a voucher you have to show up early to get it changed. I had to wait for about 30 minutes to get my real ticket... that was in late september but... anyway
    make sure you go on a weekday... monday-thursday.
    the weather can change how ever you descide. get ready for rain!
    ..and do not miss BraviSEAmo!
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Membre

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    if you get a voucher you have to show up early to get it changed. I had to wait for about 30 minutes to get my real ticket... that was in late september but... anyway
    make sure you go on a weekday... monday-thursday.
    the weather can change how ever you descide. get ready for rain!
    ..and do not miss BraviSEAmo!
    30 minutes in late september, that's probably 1 hour and a half in august.
    Thanks anyway TimmyTimmyTimmy !

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    I'll be visiting Tokyo for about 10 days, and I hope to spend 2 days at TDR (1 day for each park). I first thought about spending a night in a Disney hotel, but my friend likes Disney, but he's not a fan at all, so I thought it might be a bit too much for him, considering the huge crowds I assume there'll be. I think we'll go one day in Tokyo Disneyland, then visit Tokyo Disneysea 2-3 days later.
    You will not be able to buy a 2-day passpport if you plan to break your visit like that. All multi-day passes for TDR have to be used on consecutive days. If you plan on going on separate days like that, you most likely will have to buy two 1-day tickets for each park.

I have a few questions for TDR experts :
    - Anyone experienced TDR in august, is it bearable ? (crowds+hot weather). Please don't depress me , I can't wait to visit!!!
    I am so sorry but I will have to depress you. August is the hottest, most humid and busiest time of the year to visit TDR. With the economy in shambles in Japan, I expect this summer season to be extra busy there. August is the worst possible time to go in my humble opinion. Did you see my "Last mar 31st at TDL" thead?? Expect similar situations to those discussed in that thread. However, since you have absolutely no choice in regards to visiting.. I may suggest you get to that park about 75 mins before opening time and stake your place in line to enter. The later you arrive or closer to opening time you arrive, the longer it will take you to reach the turnstyles and enter the park.. sometimes up to half hour. And if they expect capacity crowds, not having a dated ticket to enter may mean that you will have to be on a separate stand by line to reach the turnstyles, while others with dated ticket will be given priority to go in. <-- that is under the worst of conditions, which happened to me about a decade ago.
    - Do you think it is safer to purchase fixed-date tickets on TDR official site (I assume they don't ship actual passports overseas but you get a voucher), as they say that entry is guaranteed with those even on high attendance days and that passports may not be available at the ticket booths on days of high attendance ?
    If you can buy the dated ticket, it would be best to do so. Entry into the park is guaranteed on dated tickets. Voucher tickets can be a pain in the arse to exchange due to crowded conditions in the morning time to enter the park. You can get dated tickets at any Disney Store in Japan... as long as they have not reached the maximum quota of tickets for any particular day... then they will show that day as "sold out" and will not sell any more tickets for that day. However, even if a day is marked "sold out", you can still visit the park if you arrive early and buy your ticket when the ticket windows open one hour before park opening time. May I suggest one person in your party stakes a place to enter the park, while the other person goes to the ticket window and purchase the tickets for that day. When purchasing at the park on a "sold out' day, you must buy the ticket as soon as the ticket windows open since there is a good chance ticket sales will be suspended at any time if they expect capacity crowds. If that happens, the park will be closed to guests who had undated vouchers and APers.
    Hope this helps plan your trip better.

One more thing: everytime you leave the park get your hand stamped *ALWAYS*. That way if the park closes due to capacity, you will be guarrantied re-entry. Or else.. without a hand stamp, you may not. You will need BOTH hand stamp and ticket to re-enter park.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Getting there as early as possible in the middle of summer is a MUST! when the kids are out of school and the entire population of Japan is on vacation. This will guaranty you will make it into the park and allow you to play Fastpass as long as you can for most major rides. Trust, stand by lines will be 2 hrs plus and the fastpasses will most likely be distributed by 1pm for ALL rides. After that, you won't have a choice but to stand by for hours to ride anything you really want to see (E-Tickets)

You are planning to do only 2 days at TDR.. but that will only allow you to see about a third to only half of what's there to be seen and done . I would advise spending minimun 3 days there. There is so much to see that is unique and fabulous at TDR that honestly.. 2 days in the summer season is not going to be enough time for anything. There will be lines everywhere... toilettes, restaurants, even to enter some boutiques... not to mention at attractions.
    With conditions like this, I would suggest you tell your friend to go take a tour of Tokyo and you go there ALONE. You will accomplish more by yourself without having someone who is not a fan slow you down.. I find that non-Disney fan guests are very uncooperative when encountering the massive crowd TDR sees on August.

While at TDL, make sure you do both parades, at least two of the shows, most E, D, and C rides (get FP at all cost). Skip spinners. Do try some of the park's snack items. Check some of the boutiques, and do have dinner at the best buffeteria in the park: Queen of hearts in Fantasyland.

Over at TDS... do *everything*. This is a park to slow down and soak it all. Theming is exquisite all over inside and out... makes DLP's theming look like a pale imitation in contrast. Do all of the rides, and do NOT Miss these shows: Legend of Mythica and BraviSEAmo! on the lagoon, Little Mermaid show, Big Band Beat, and Mystic Rhythms (line up for these shows no later than 30 mins, they are extremely popular and they fill up to capacity.) Just for fun, go into the boutiques and restaurants to check out their lovely theming. At TDS, you can skip all of the vehicles rides around American Harbor and the "Over the waves" show, the kiddy rides in mermaid Lagoon (but go in there as it is quite stunning to see the underwater theming indoors), skip Aquatopia, magic Lamp Theater, Raging Spirits... (only do the forementioned ones if you have enough time to spare)

NOT to be missed rides at TDS: TOT, JTTCOTE, Indy, Sindbad, 20K, Stormrider.

Ask if there is anything else we can suggest.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-06-2009 at 12:43 PM.

it is extremely hot in August, hope you have a good time though. Get to the park early cause it is very busy at that time. DisneySea tends to be less busy than TDL, Bravisimo should be playing. MAKE SURE you see Journey to the center of the earth, and 20K legues under the sea.

• Banned User

Je pense..Olivier est change son vacance as cette moment jusq'au l'hiver..

Ok I am bad with french but I tried.

• The one and only

ahhhhhhhhhhhh. i LOVE the French spelling of oliver/olivier.

• Banned User

I don't think they are even the same name, are they??

• Membre

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Je pense..Olivier est change son vacance as cette moment jusq'au l'hiver...
    Peut ętre que oui... ... ... Euh, non.
    Anyway, it's impossible, Air France flights + hotel booked, busy in july and september.

I would like to thank TDLFAN for taking such a long time writing advice and giving useful information for my future trip.

About the weather, last time I've been to Japan was in ... august too. I remember it was very hot and extremely humid. But that was not such a problem.

I think I really need to purchase date-fixed passports as it seems to be best.

Did you see my "Last mar 31st at TDL" thead??
    Yes. Scary.
    I try to remain optimistic, Japan guests seem more civilized in public than euro guests. I speak some japanese, so I'll use waiting time to improve my language skills...

DisneySea tends to be less busy than TDL
    Thanks DisneySea_Fan, I hope so!
    Last edited by Olivier; 04-06-2009 at 11:34 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    I would like to thank TDLFAN for taking such a long time writing advice and giving useful information for my future trip.
    My pleasure to help another wonderful Disner fan, anytime. Thanks too for the times you have taken to report on DLRP news every so often. Seems like I won't make it to Paris this year...

If you can buy the dated ticket, it would be best to do so. Entry into the park is guaranteed on dated tickets.
    Well, at least "guaranteed" at the highest priority. There are still situations where guests with dated tickets would at least be delayed entry if the park was truly at its maximum safety capacity. I would think that this happens very infrequently, but that doesn't mean never.

However, even if a day is marked "sold out", you can still visit the park if you arrive early and buy your ticket when the ticket windows open one hour before park opening time.
    It's true that same-day tickets can usually be purchased at the park early in the morning. However, on a busy day, I've heard that same-day ticket sales have been suspended as early as 10 minutes after park opening, so you really need to be there early on the busiest of days.

If that happens, the park will be closed to guests who had undated vouchers and APers.
    Well, only for APers that have two-park APs. Guests with single-park APs have the same admission entitlement as date-specific single-day ticket holders - that is, they'll be admitted even on sellout days unless the park reaches its maximum safety capacity. Some guests own separate single-park APs for each park for just this reason, even though it costs more than the two-park AP.

In general, TDLFAN's advice for visiting on a day of expected high attendance is very good: get there as early as possible, preferably 75-90 minutes before posted opening.

• Membre

Thanks for extra tips SuperDry!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDry View Post
    Well, at least "guaranteed" at the highest priority. There are still situations where guests with dated tickets would at least be delayed entry if the park was truly at its maximum safety capacity. I would think that this happens very infrequently, but that doesn't mean never.
    Incorrect. Dated tickets are already included in the projected attendance target/count for the day. NO one with a dated ticket will ever be delayed at the park entrance. You WILL be allowed in the park regardless, which is the point of selling the ticket with the date on it.
    People who have non-dated ticket will be asked to wait until the park re-opens again.

It's true that same-day tickets can usually be purchased at the park early in the morning. However, on a busy day, I've heard that same-day ticket sales have been suspended as early as 10 minutes after park opening, so you really need to be there early on the busiest of days.
    True, that has happened before but it's not something that occurs frequently. But to be safe I always recommend people who do not have tickets on a "sold out" date to get there one hour before when the ticket windows open.
    One catch.. if the park is "sold out" on the next day or days.. sometimes, you may be denied the purchase of a multiday passport, or will have to alter the way you date for your tickey in regards to what specific park to visit..

Incorrect. Dated tickets are already included in the projected attendance target/count for the day. NO one with a dated ticket will ever be delayed at the park entrance. You WILL be allowed in the park regardless, which is the point of selling the ticket with the date on it.
    People who have non-dated ticket will be asked to wait until the park re-opens again.
    Incorrect. I totally understand what you are saying about guests having non-dated tickets being asked to wait on sold-out days. This happens frequently, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Separate from that, there's the more rare situation of the park reaching its maximum safety capacity. Once that happens, no additional guests will be admitted regardless of their type of ticket, as to do otherwise would be unsafe and almost certainly illegal. Keep in mind that single-park AP holders have the same entitlement as a dated ticket holder. And, guests at any Disney or Official hotel can buy dated tickets for their stay regardless of sell-out conditions.

So, OLC must make an educated guess as to how many single-park AP holders will show up on a given day, and what the average number of guests per room is at the Official and Disney hotels when they decide how many dated tickets to sell. They're probably very good at this, given the historical data they have access to, but occasionally they can be caught off-guard and when this happens, too many people show up all having a dated-ticket or equivalent entitlement.

I would not worry too much about that happening, as it's probably very seldom that this happens and the time that the gates are closed to dated ticket holders would be much less than the situation you describe.