Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Miss Bee Taylor

Going to TDR-with person with Special Needs

As many of you know--we're a family of 5 heading to TDR in late May/early June.
    This is my 50th Birthday celebration.
    My girls are adults--but my middle daughter has Down syndrome.

Hence my question.

At the parks here in the US (and particularly Disneyland Resort--we go often and are PAPers)--we can get a Guest Assistance Card which allows my daughter to bypass stairs, as well use an alternative entrance if needed due to some of her limitations.

Does the TDR issue a 'Guest Assistance Card' for guests with special needs?

I know they do have wheelchair rentals (which just might end up being our only option)--but if they do issue a GAC it would be a great convience to us (especially her!).

If not--we'll defintely survive--but it would make our days a the TDR that much more enjoyable for the whole family, as it can be difficult literally 'dragging' her from one attraction to another.
    Don't get me wrong--we'll have a great time no matter what--it just makes her days at the park that much easier.
    We've already been 'prepping' her that there might not be any 'cards', as she calls them--so we're trying to be prepared for all angles.

Thanks for your help--
    Peggy
    WDW-July 2010
    **Tokyo~Tokyo Disney Resort**May 25-June 3, 2009**

Disneyland--all the time (we're Californians)
    Disneyland Paris-2002
    WDW-1999, 2000
    DisneyCruise-2000

• Just another Disney fan..

Re: Going to TDR-with person with Special Needs

I do not remember ever hearing anything about a Guest assistance card for TDR. That doesnt' mean that they don't exist, I just haven't heard before. Good question!

I have noticed that there are many places inside the TDR parks that IMO would not be possible in the US parks due to ADA guidlines. A lot more climbing and narrow access areas than US parks. I have noticed in the past few years that there have been more accomodations being made for Guests with special needs. However, TDR is still far behind the US parks IMO.

I will be at TDR for the official grand opening of Monsters Inc next week, so if some of the other TDR regulars here don't know and post the answer, I will go to Guest Relations and ask.
    Last edited by Roger55; 04-07-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typos/spelling

Hi Aunt Bee, they started GAC's in 2000 and, due to abuse, the policies were revised in 2002. I believe a card itself is still issued to the guest. Someone will come along and correct me on this. Hehehe.

If you have time before your trip, please call the TDR Information Center at +81-45-330-5211 (between 5pm and 2am Pacific time). Once at the Resort, visit "Main Street House" at TDL or "Guest Relations" at TDS.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

The English-language website for Tokyo Disney Resort has a section called "Barrier Free" at Tokyo Disney Resort: Barrier Free

It has links to specific pages at each park and for the resort as a whole.

• Banned User

Barriers free? Don't tell that to the CMs at the BinLadden check points or turnstyles.

I think they issue those cards, I'm not sure though.

• Miss Bee Taylor

Thanks for your help and replies.

I will call the parks (that you JoeInJpn)--and check. And, just in case, I will bring our latest GAC from Disneyland to show them at Guest Relations.
    WDW-July 2010

Disneyland Paris-2002
    WDW-1999, 2000
    DisneyCruise-2000

• You have much to learn...

Your best bet, like Joe mentioned, is to either call or check with guest services.

Not to get your hopes down, but whenever I've been to the parks, I see very few wheelchairs around the parks. I have seen a few, but really know nothing about special access to shows and attractions- but knowing TDR, I'm sure they will do whatever they can to help you with your situation.

Have a great time when you go

• Banned User

I would not go out of my way for that. Just stop at Guest Relations and request to talk to someone who can speak english, and let them offer you the services. You can rest assured they will offer you the assistance needed to get around the park and make the special needs person's visit enjoyable and hassle free. This is TDR after all.

• Miss Bee Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I would not go out of my way for that. Just stop at Guest Relations and request to talk to someone who can speak english, and let them offer you the services. You can rest assured they will offer you the assistance needed to get around the park and make the special needs person's visit enjoyable and hassle free. This is TDR after all.
    This sounds great. I truly hope they will do this.

When the trip plans began--it was just for my husband and I.
    Two of our daughters caught wind of the plans and said "that's not fair! We've always wanted to go to Tokyo!" (they plan on spending a day at Puroland as well. They're very disappointed that Harmony Land is too far away to get to on this trip).

Well, how can you take only 2 daughters and leave one at home?
    Hence, we all go.

It make our trip a little challenging at times--but it will be fun. My daughter with special needs is just as excited to go as the rest of us. We hope that the 5 days we have allotted to the parks will be enough to see as much as we can. Plus, she is the only true sushi eater in the home and thinks this is the 'great sushi' trip of a lifetime.

And--we look forward to seeing her face when Mickey 'speaks' in Japanese!

Everyone's input and advice on MiceAge has been amazing and very informative. Just reading all the great information on these boards has helped us plan tremendously. Thank you all.
    WDW-July 2010

Disneyland Paris-2002
    WDW-1999, 2000
    DisneyCruise-2000

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bee View Post
    We've always wanted to go to Tokyo!" (they plan on spending a day at Puroland as well. They're very disappointed that Harmony Land is too far away to get to on this trip).
    I visited Puroland as well.. a little under an hour by train to get to Tama where it is located. The park is typical japanese. The Hello Kitty characters are all cute and the shows there are pretty cool, but the place is too sweet and sugary for me. I can see young little girls and kids having a great time. If your daughters like Hello Kitty, they should also consider a trip to Universal Studios Japan as the Kitty franchise is well represented at that park.

Well, how can you take only 2 daughters and leave one at home?
    Very easy!
    Mom: "You are NOT going young lady!! Mom has spoken!!"

It make our trip a little challenging at times--but it will be fun. My daughter with special needs is just as excited to go as the rest of us. We hope that the 5 days we have allotted to the parks will be enough to see as much as we can. Plus, she is the only true sushi eater in the home and thinks this is the 'great sushi' trip of a lifetime.

Again, relax and enjoy. The only thing that may make things a bit challenging are the huge crowds there, but getting around and in and out of rides is no problem. Often times I have seen groups of special care kids being wheeled all over the park and everyone seem to enjoy their visit. You will be just fine.

JoeInJpn has a great link on his site that has a video of some of the loading areas procedures for guests with special needs. not sure if my info is helpful but just wanted to add that. Atleast i think it was JOeInJpn....I cant remember where I saw it.i was really amazed at the Monsters Inc. loading procedure.
    Like Roger55 said Japan s behind the times and there are places that will be a bit difficult to maneuver, but I'm sure you will have a great time.
    Have you set the dates for visiting the park yet?

Thanks tokyodisneydad, actually the link in my blog is from the Japanese version of the "Barrier Free" site link that you previously posted.

Here are the direct links to the official site:

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...tdl/movie.html

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...tds/movie.html

For those who can't read Japanese, click on the underline links next to the pictures. A pop-up window will feature the videos.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Miss Bee Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    Thanks tokyodisneydad, actually the link in my blog is from the Japanese version of the "Barrier Free" site link that you previously posted.

Here are the direct links to the official site:

東京ディズニーリゾート:視覚障がいの*るかたへ(東京ディズニーランド)

東京ディズニーリゾート:車イスをご利用のかたへ(東京ディズニーシー)

For those who can't read Japanese, click on the underline links next to the pictures. A pop-up window will feature the videos.
    Joe--this was very cool to watch. I appreciate the links.
    I even had to chuckle a couple times. The CM's are so helpful! I like how the CM got down to the wheelchaired guests level to speak directly to them.

I am sure I will learn quite a bit more when I get there. I couldn't tell on the videos if, when using a wheelchair, we will need to use an alternate entrance/exit for the attractions, but I am sure the English guide will help us with that.

I am curious though. With a wheelchair (which, unfortunately, we most likely will have to rent by noon on the first day--as my daughter tires easily)--at the Pooh attraction (watching the video made me think of this)--if we have to use an alternate entrance--will we still need fastpasses?
    Again, this might only be answered when I get to the parks and talk to guest relations.

One good thing about learning all this, is that I will be able to report back to MiceChat what we exactly experienced first hand with the 'Barrier Free' system, if they do exactly issue a GAC, and if so--how it works for both Tokyo Disney Resort parks.
    Hopefully this will also help future travellers to the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    "Very easy!
    Mom: "You are NOT going young lady!! Mom has spoken!!"
    And, I had to laugh at this too. How do you tell the kid with special needs that her sisters can go, but she can't?! That would be heartless of me!
    Besides, she has learned to say 'hello' 'thank you' and 'goodbye' so well in Japanese!

Hey--it's all good.
    We've saved for the trip--including her. She should experience it with us all.

Again--your tips are great, and so appreciated.
    WDW-July 2010

Disneyland Paris-2002
    WDW-1999, 2000
    DisneyCruise-2000

also just want to add that if you end up renting a wheelchair for your daughter then both TDL and TDS have reserved areas for people with special needs to see both the parades and the shows. and I would love some homemade Pickles when you come--lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast