Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Resident of the Caldera

Mini-Report from The Tokyo Disney Resort for Monday and Tuesday

I'm here at the Tokyo resort right now. Got here Monday about mid-day and expected to find it crowded (as usual). Instead, amazingly, the place is empty. Making my trip right between school break and Golden week has worked out perfectly. There were NO lines longer than 30 minutes for any ride on Monday except Monster's Inc. It started out at 180 minutes in the morning. We got on the standby line at 9pm when it had a stated wait time of 60 minutes. We waited exactly 30 minutes because there were NO FastPass people coming back. It appears that they simply went home early and never stayed long enough to use their FastPasses. Interesting.

Hit every major ride at Tokyo Disneyland yesterday and DisneySea today (again--no waits; in DisneySea the waits for the Tower of Terror and Journey to the Center of the earth were 5 minutes).

It's amazingly empty. Pooh's Hunny Hunt reopens from rehab tomorrow--wondering if that will draw a bit off the Monster's Inc. line.

All in all, great as usual, but with no crowds it's even better.

I was somewhat disappointed with Monster's Inc. You go by everything so damn quick that it's hard to see! Also, like Hunny Hunt, while it's a major upgrade versus similar rides in the US, it's also missing scenes present in the DCA version of the ride that help to make the story richer and more coherent. It certainly doesn't have the "wow" factor that Hunny Hunt does, and I'm looking forward to riding it again tomorrow to see if my opinion changes. (Expectations often lead to slight disappointment, and return visits usually moderate appreciation).

Now off to get some Yakiniku (Korean Barbeque) in Ikspiari!

TDLFAN: I couldn't locate that Monster's Inc. jacket/windbreaker you mentioned--could it have sold out so quickly?

• Central Florida

Re: Mini-Report from The Tokyo Disney Resort for Monday and Tuesday

Hi Fukai! We're here at TDR, too, and having a blast! We did TDL on Monday and TDS today...we do each park once more (Thurs/Fri) - tomorrow we're going into Tokyo for Ghibli and some final shopping.

Have fun on Hunny Hunt...we'll be going on it hopefully Thursday morning...first time, hope it lives up to what I've been reading.
    WDW Annual Passholders

Our Trips:
    Oct. 2006 - Disneyland/DCA (offsite)
    Feb. 2007 - WDW - Coronado
    Oct. 2007 - Disneyland Paris (offsite)
    Apr. 2008 - WDW Honeymoon - Grand Floridian
    Sep. 2008 - WDW - Pop
    Jan. 2009 - WDW - AK Lodge
    Apr. 2009 - Tokyo DL & DisneySea - Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay
    Nov. 2009 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 2011 - WDW Caribbean Beach
    Dec. 2012 - WDW Pop
    Sep. 2013 - WDW Caribbean Beach
    Jan. 2014 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside

Oct. 2014 - Disney Cruise
    2015 - Disneyland
    2019 - Tokyo Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    I'm here at the Tokyo resort right now. Got here Monday about mid-day and expected to find it crowded (as usual). Instead, amazingly, the place is empty.
    The reason for that is OLC's bad decision to NOT providing a special event at the park at this point in time like has been the case in previous years. With no incentive for the locals to visit right now.. the parks are dead. Very bad call on OLC's part.

I was somewhat disappointed with Monster's Inc. You go by everything so damn quick that it's hard to see! Also, like Hunny Hunt, while it's a major upgrade versus similar rides in the US, it's also missing scenes present in the DCA version of the ride that help to make the story richer and more coherent. It certainly doesn't have the "wow" factor that Hunny Hunt does, and I'm looking forward to riding it again tomorrow to see if my opinion changes. (Expectations often lead to slight disappointment, and return visits usually moderate appreciation).
    I had the same reaction to the ride on my first try, simply because the flashlight interactivity deviated my attention from the show elements. Next time you ride, resist the urge to use the flashlight and pay attention. I found myself enjoying this ride more the 2nd time around. Then, once you are familiar with it, pick up the flashlight and play along. In true Disney fashion, there is a lot going on during the ride and it merits several rides before you can begin to grasp the multitude of things included in it.

TDLFAN: I couldn't locate that Monster's Inc. jacket/windbreaker you mentioned--could it have sold out so quickly?
    There is no such jacket. The one I mentioned is one that has the castle and Mickey on it. see pic below:

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I wish I was there with you all right now. But it is wonderful to hear your thoughts during your trips.

I'm surprised that the crowds are so lite.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

TDS will be dead until the 22nd when they start the Sprind carnival event.
    TDL will get busy again at the end of April and during Golden Week.

Enjoy the light crowds now because they will not last.

• Resident of the Caldera

Things were quiet again at Tokyo Disneyland today. The crazy way the CMs route you all around the left side of the hub to get to Monster's Inc. threw me for a loop. We got right on the standby line and waited about 40 minutes (we were at the park gate 30 minutes before park opening). I ignored the flashlight the second time and enjoyed the ride more, but I think that once the initial brouhaha is over, the line will decrease and the emphasis in the morning run will return to Pooh (which reopened today from its rehab and was great as usual).

The rest of the park was "U.S" busy, but not Tokyo busy. Most E-Tickets had Fastpasses remaining until late afternoon and 30 to 40 minute waits (Pooh excepted; Buzz had FastPasses late into the afternoon and a 35 minute wait).

Ate at the Yakiniku restaurant on the third floor of Ikspiari last night: KILLER.

I see more Westerners here than usual (at least from my regular October trips).

Thanks, TDLFAN, for the photo of the jacket--I misinterpreted your post.

Going to the Queen of Hearts Banquet hall for dinner tonight (lunch was Mickey Pizza and fries at Huey, Dewey, and Louis's Goodtime Cafe). Also looking forward to Dreamlights.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Things were quiet again at Tokyo Disneyland today. The crazy way the CMs route you all around the left side of the hub to get to Monster's Inc. threw me for a loop.
    Same feeling I got on opening day.. It certainly gave me a workout.. but I appreciate the fact that they knew where the end of the line would be... Smart move, even if slightly inconvenient for guests.. It is a long run!!

I ignored the flashlight the second time and enjoyed the ride more
    I have been advising people to do that ever since I rode. Good call on your part.

The rest of the park was "U.S" busy, but not Tokyo busy.
    It will give LeeLee a false sense of what the real TDL experience the rest of the year is like..

Ate at the Yakiniku restaurant on the third floor of Ikspiari last night: KILLER.
    Sorry you had to die in the process.
    But I love that Korean BBQ place!! YUM!!

I see more Westerners here than usual (at least from my regular October trips).
    Really!! Who invited them? And I hope they dressed accordingly!!
    LOL!! Just kidding. Joe, Ichigopara and I noticed the same on April 15th. Of course... many Disney geeks like myself were there, some from many other fans sites and groups like FACC (is that correct?) and some from international destinations.. I think this is the time when western military personnel stationed in Japan get a break and visit the parks.

Thanks, TDLFAN, for the photo of the jacket--I misinterpreted your post.
    Don't mention it. I got me that same one you saw in the pic. I was glad it was avail in LL size.. and I was surprised that the new Monsters and 26th tees were also avail in LL, as that has not been the case before with special event tee.

Going to the Queen of Hearts Banquet hall for dinner tonight (lunch was Mickey Pizza and fries at Huey, Dewey, and Louis's Goodtime Cafe). Also looking forward to Dreamlights.
    GREAT choice for dinner. I hope LeeLee gets to eat there. No DL restaurant comes close to the atmosphere there.

Glad to hear there is some possibility of reprieve from the grueling Tokyo lines. I just hope it's as slow when I get there late next month.
    Last edited by jimmay; 04-22-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Minion

Whenever I get round to visitng TDR it must be this time of year then! 5 min for JTTCOTE sounds pretty good to me! So is the third or last week of April usually like this, in terms of waits? How busy is it during Spring Carnival?
    Down with the Hat

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Whenever I get round to visitng TDR it must be this time of year then! 5 min for JTTCOTE sounds pretty good to me! So is the third or last week of April usually like this, in terms of waits? How busy is it during Spring Carnival?
    Medium size crowds.. but I expect the very end of April and first week of May to pick up due to Golden Week holidays. Also, there is no more 25th anniversary so the crowds should be more manageable until august.

Our first two trips to TDL were in February ('07 and '08) and the crowds were miserable. So strange to me considering it's freezing cold!

Just spent Sunday-today at the resort and it was heavenly! Monday crowds at TDS were non-existant, and with the rain on Tuesday, almost everything was a walk-on at TDL. Unbelievable!!!!! Of course there was the rush to Monster's on Tuesday morning, but we opted for standby and were on within 20 minutes. We rode again around 9pm and waited again only around 20 minutes. Like previously mentioned, the more you ride, the more you appreciate. I liked it much better the second time around. The streetscape scene is so well done!

The past two days have picked up crowd-wise, which isn't really surprising with the start of the Spring Carnival and the beautiful weather.

I'd opt for this week anytime over February again.

• Miss Bee Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    Glad to hear there is some possibility of reprieve from the grueling Tokyo lines. I just hope it's as slow when I get there late next month.
    What days are you going to be there? We'll be there as well--travelling from San Francisco.
    WDW-July 2010
    **Tokyo~Tokyo Disney Resort**May 25-June 3, 2009**

Disneyland--all the time (we're Californians)
    Disneyland Paris-2002
    WDW-1999, 2000
    DisneyCruise-2000

• Minion

^^^ You're there May 24 to June 4? I'm assuming you will only be at the resort some of those days...so be sure to visit TDS before June 1, since JTTCOTE will close for routine maintenance starting that day. Also...if you are interested...Mickey Mouse Review will close permanently on May 26.
    Down with the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bee View Post
    What days are you going to be there? We'll be there as well--travelling from San Francisco.
    Currently I'm shooting for either the 26th and 27th or 27th and 28th. We won't have a long time in Japan, but it may also be the only time I'm ever out there, so we're making a point to see TDR for at least 2 days.

I'm hoping that with Golden Week over and the Japanese kids still in school, the crowds should be manageable. We (me and my girlfriend) are staying with her sister in Yokosuka--it's the only way I could even afford the trip--so I'm going to have to struggle to get them out of bed and to the park early to run and get fastpasses first thing for Pooh and Monsters.

My girlfriend's sister is clueless about the place, she thinks it's just some rinky-dink half-park worth half a day. She'll see

And I specifically planned and bought airfare to get there before Journey to the Center of the Earth goes down for refurb. It's one of the rides I'm most anticipating; I love me some dark rides, and count them as credits just like coaster fans do.

What days are you planning on going, Bee?
    Last edited by jimmay; 04-23-2009 at 04:37 PM.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Banned User

TDS closing JTTCOTE for maintenance june 1st. Hmmm, I wish management at WDW took notice and did the same for Everest in DAK which is in bad need of maintenance and some improvements.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast