• 1 day TDL and @ 2 TDS

1 100.00%
  • 3 Days TDS

0 0%
  • Dude, just go with the flow.

0 0%

• Casual Observer

Nagoya Station to TDL

Hello all, I know you pros have probably been over this before but. . .
    I'll be in Nagoya from May 21st thru 31st on business and need a bit of help.
    I'll have both weekends to myself and would like to hit TDL at least one day while visiting. Could somebody help point me in the right direction please!
    This will be my first time in Japan and I am a little nervous, Thanks!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Lightbulb Re: Nagoya Station to TDL

I used to live in Nagoya! I that town! Be sure and say "hi" to Nana-chan, the 6m "doll" outside Meitetsu Department Store near Nagoya Station! She's made of FRP hard vinyl chloride resin. Nana-chan was "born" April 28, 1973 to celebrate the first anniversary of the Meitetsu "Seven" building (now known as "Young," apparently). "Nana" in Japanese means "seven." She is a "Swiss fashion model" (designed/built by the Schleppi Corporation?) who changes clothes seasonally and I her, too!^^

For folks who can't read Japanese in the link above, her measurements are:

Height: 610cm
    Weight: 600kg
    Bust: 207cm
    Waist: 180cm
    Hip: 215cm

And back to your question:

Fastest would be shinkansen (bullet train). It's ¥6090 from Nagoya Station to Tokyo Station on Nozomi, non-reserved (meaning you have to wait until the train time and hope there are still seats^^). It's an additional charge of ¥4690 to reserve. The Nozomi from Nagoya to Tokyo takes about an hour and 45 minutes. From Tokyo, take either the Keiyo or Musashino Line about 15 minutes to MaihamaStation.

If you're short on time and traveling on the weekend, I'd recommend to go ahead and reserve a seat. Considering it's your first trip, seems better not to risk the disappointment of not getting a seat or (gods forbid) get stuck in the smoking car...UGH!

Hope that helps!^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 05-18-2009 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Nana-chan's "stats"^^

Re: Nagoya Station to TDL

First pieces of advice: Try to buy the tickets in advance. Don't be late for the Shinkansen trains!!!. Weekend trains tend to be more crowded.

This site will help you with ticket buying instructions:
    http://english.jr-central.co.jp/tickets/buy/index.html

Have the items listed (1)-(5) in the page above written down before you go to the station. Do this for both departing and returning trip.

(1) Nagoya to Tokyo Station
    (2) EXACT DATE and TIME RANGE (e.g. May 20th about 8am)
    (3) Nozomi (they try to sell this quickest train first, but they may not ask you what you prefer, don't worry too much about this option.)
    (4) 1 person (I assume you are travelling alone)
    (5) PREFERENCES (I recommend "Window seat"; "Reserved"; not necessary to buy special "GREEN CAR" seats unless all other seats are sold out)

At Nagoya Station, go to the JR Tokai counters (orange lettering). Wait in line until a clerk is available. Show them the paper with your information. They will accommodate you as much as possible. They might suggest some departure times and seat assignments depending on availability. Payment can be made in cash or major credit card (Visa, MC). Costs for each way range between JPY10,500 and 11,000.

Next tell them, "I WANT A RETURN TICKET PLEASE." And go through the same procedure.

The earliest train leaving Nagoya towards Tokyo is 6:20am and the earliest arrival is about 8:15am. Coming back to Nagoya, the last train leaves Tokyo about 10:00pm.

Once you arrive at Tokyo Station, use the TRANSFER GATES, not the EXIT GATES. Ask any JR worker, "Where is KEIYO LINE to DISNEYLAND?" They will point you in the right direction.

Follow the throngs of people also going to Disney down a long underground tunnel and go down four levels, you'll reach the platform for KEIYO LINE.

Take any train which has long seats with their backs against the windows. These trains also have clear windows. DO NOT take trains with dark windows or seats facing the direction of travel.

Once on a train, you'll take between 14-17 minutes to reach MAIHAMA STATION. This is where Tokyo Disney Resort is located. You'll be able to view the Resort on the right side next to Tokyo Bay as the train is approaching while crossing a bridge.

Get off at Maihama Station and GO TO THE MANNED WINDOW by the ticket gates. You'll need to pay an extra 130yen since Maihama Station is technically outside Tokyo. Once you exit, TOKYO DISNEYLAND will be down the walkway on your RIGHT. TOKYO DISNEYSEA is accessible via the MONORAIL whose station is to your LEFT. All signs from here on are in ENGLISH.

Leaving the Resort, go to the MANNED WINDOW next to the ticket machines at Maihama Station. Tell them, "TO TOKYO STATION PLEASE" and show them your returning Shinkansen ticket. They'll tell you to pay 130yen for the non-Tokyo portion of the trip to Tokyo Station (same as above).

Enter the station and go up to the platforms. Take a train which runs on the platform FACING TOKYO DISNEY RESORT. Any train that stops there goes to Tokyo Station.

Once you reach Tokyo, follow the throngs returning home back up four levels and the long walkway towards the Shinkansen platforms. You'll be able to see signs for the TOKAIDO Shinkansen. If lost, ask a worker with "SHINKANSEN TO NAGOYA".

And from there, you'll be on your merry way. Whatever you do, try not to sleep on the way back to Nagoya. If you miss your stop, you could end up in Osaka. Hehehe.

Don't be late for the Shinkansen trains!!!!

Good luck!

JoeInJpn
    Last edited by JoeInJpn; 05-18-2009 at 05:50 AM.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Banned User

I love Nagoya!

As a matter of fact, business takes me there in June. Can't wait to go shopping in Central Park.

• Just another Disney fan..

Some other things to note...

I would seriously consider buying a JR Rail Pass. You can buy a "ordinary" 7-day rail pass for 28,300 yen. This allows you to ride any JR operated train, including the bullet train, for 7-days. There are some restrictions. Check out the website for details. If you have questions, post them here.

JAPAN RAIL PASS types and prises

The break even point between buying individual tickets and a rail pass is typically Nagoya <=> Tokyo, so I think it will be cost effective for you. Especially if you plan to use the trains while in Nagoya. If not, it might be a wash.

If you do decide on a Rail Pass, make sure you buy it in the US before leaving for Japan. You have to buy the voucher in the US and exchange it for the pass once in Japan.

As far as reserving your bullet train tickets, you can do the same as Joe explained. The difference will be insted of paying them for the ticket, you flash them the Rail Pass.

For ordinary trains in Nagoya and Tokyo (like the Keiyo Line Joe mentioned), you don't have to buy tickets. Just enter/exit the stations via the "manned" booths next to the automated ticket gates. Flash them the pass as you walk through to which ever train platform you are wanting. Simple as that!

Something to add to Joe's excellent instructions....

When you get to Tokyo station and exit from the Shinkansen (Bullet train), you will be in the center of Tokyo Station which is HUGE.

You want to head towards the "Yaesu" side exits, not the "Marunouchi" side exits. They will be written clearly on Yellow signs in English.

As you head towards Yaesu exit, look above you for the WHITE rail signs that tell you all the different rail lines that are at Tokyo Station.

You will see the signs pointing you to the Keiyo/Musashino Line. Each rail line is color coded, and the Keiyio/Musashino Line is RED.

• Casual Observer

I knew I could count on this community for help! I'm going to try for a Saturday departure for a TDL day trip. Wish me luck and if any one else is going to be there please PM me to say hello! Thanks again and I should have a mini trip report soon!

• Banned User

Be reminded... saturdays and sundays are the most crowded days of the week. Visit on a weekday is possible..

• Casual Observer

Thanks TDL Fan, I start my work project tomorrow so I don't think I'll have the opportunity to go on a weekday. I'll cross my fingers though! How crowded is it on the weekends?

• Banned User

Lately? Just a little bit. But if you must go on a weekend... my very best advise to you is.. Show up at the gate no later than 45 mins before the park opens and run with everyone else to get your FP for Monsters Inc.. You will thank me later. Then continue to get other FPs as their time window permits.

• Casual Observer

Good news and bad news,
    1st the bad, didn't get to go this saturday.
    Good news is I got to see Kyoto
    Better news is that I have next Sat. and Sun. @TDL
    Best news is if I get everything done early I get Mon. at TDL too!
    WooHoo! 3 days of TDL/TDS.

• Banned User

Have fun.

• Casual Observer

Thanks, I have my train tickets and hotel sorted, 3 day pass when I arrive. My kids are ticked off but I told them it was just a scouting expedition and that I promised not to enjoy myself to much. =)