Thread: When to go?

When to go?

My son (age 17) and I are planning our first trip to Japan for next year. We plan to spend about two weeks in the country of which 4 or 5 days will be at the Tokyo Disneyland Resort. We have two options of when to go. First would be to incorporate the week of my son's Spring break. I would prefer to visit the Disney Resort at the end of our trip, probably Tue-Fri and return home on Sat. This means we would be in the Resort either April 6-10 or April 13-17, 2010.

The second option would be in the Summer after school gets out. The earliest we would be in the resort would be June 20-24, 2010. We could also go later, up to mid-August but I am no fan of crowds, heat, humidity or typhoons!

So, opinions about which option or week is better? Pros/Cons? Thanks for any advice.

• Banned User

Re: When to go?

I gave you my answer on your PM. Avoid June (rainy season), first week of May (Golden Week), August (too hot and humid).. Less crowded but cold.. mid-jan thru march. Crowds but not horrible.. july, sept thru december.

Go when things aren't under refurbishment.
    4-5 days may be overkill.
    I took 4 days, but only used 3 of those for the park.
    Use the first day to see Cirque Zed and the shopping district

• Banned User

If you only used three out of four days, then you skipped some of the stuff available to do and probably did not take the time to explore ALL that is there to do without repeating yourself.. Or else, you visited in the dead of winter when the parks are dead. ZED btw.. only takes a couple of hours in the evening so it will hardly steal a day away from the parks.

Thanks all for the advice so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
    Go when things aren't under refurbishment.
    I have saved Delta Skymiles for the airfare and Hilton HHonors to stay at the Tokyo Bay Hilton During the latter half of our trip. As such, I will need to schedule well in advance (almost now in fact) and won't know the refurbishment schedule. If something is unavailable , I will just have to save it for next time I guess .

Quote Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
    4-5 days may be overkill.
    I like to take things slow and see everything: attractions, shows, shops, etc. In addition, I want to visit the shopping district, enjoy some leisurely meals and have fun without becoming exhausted.

Looks like April is going to be our choice. LeeLeeLuvsDisney recommended the April 13-17 timeframe over April 6-10. Any other opinions on that? With April 15 being TDL's anniversary, sounds like I should plan on visiting TDS that day. In general, our trip is shaping up like this:

Sat-Sun April 3-4 : Fly from SLC to Tokyo
    Mon-Tue April 5-6 : Kyoto
    Wed-Thu April 7-8 : Hakone
    Fri-Mon April 9-12 : Tokyo
    Tues-Fri April 13-16 : Disney
    Sat April 17 : Fly home

I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions regarding our trip overall to Japan or Disney specifically.

Thanks!

• Resident of the Caldera

I agree with LeeLee, and that's much like my schedule was this April. You want later in April rather than earlier (so it's not too chilly). You need to avoid both cherry blossom season and Golden Week and hit right in the middle. Googling both of those should tell you when they occur next year, but plenty of folks here can help you figure that out. If you plan it right, both parks will be relatively empty (as I discovered this year).

Your choice of days at the Tokyo Disney Resort, Tuesday through Friday, is perfect. Even when I stay for five days, I never see every show and attraction in both parks (though I do see the top ones repeatedly). You can never stay long enough.

Ideally you want to check into the Hilton on Monday NIGHT so that you can hit the parks EARLY on Tuesday morning.

The Hilton is great--excellent staff and great access to the parks. You can buy your park tickets there (no lines!) and there is a great bakery in the lobby, as well as a drugstore and a Starbucks. Avoid the restaurants in the Hilton--they're over-priced. Eat in the parks or at Ikspiari. We'll all be happy to give you as many suggestions as you want!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    If you only used three out of four days, then you skipped some of the stuff available to do and probably did not take the time to explore ALL that is there to do without repeating yourself.. Or else, you visited in the dead of winter when the parks are dead. ZED btw.. only takes a couple of hours in the evening so it will hardly steal a day away from the parks.
    Went at the end of April and a week before Golden Week (Trip Report coming soon). Most rides had a 1/2 hour or less wait.

Rode everything and saw every major show while I was there. On the 3rd day we finished the things we missed the first time through and did the things that we enjoyed multiple times.

Amount of days at the parks should be determined by the time of year that you go.
    I just wouldn't want to go to the parks when a major attraction is closed. That would be the most important thing to me.
    Couldn't imagine how bad it would be if I went to TDR for the first time and Pooh or Journey were closed... that would suck... maybe TDR follows the same annual refurb schedules, but I don't know if that is the case.
    Last edited by Brisal73; 05-21-2009 at 08:55 AM.

I'm so excited, I'm practically giddy! I just booked our trip on Delta, leaving SLC on April 3, 2010 and returning April 17. Especially cool now that Delta has direct non-stop service from SLC to Narita. I also booked our stay at the Tokyo Bay Hilton. Now I've got to work out the details for other hotels and the rest of our trip. Let the countdown begin!

• Central Florida

Quote Originally Posted by dlandfanrsb View Post
    I'm so excited, I'm practically giddy! I just booked our trip on Delta, leaving SLC on April 3, 2010 and returning April 17. Especially cool now that Delta has direct non-stop service from SLC to Narita. I also booked our stay at the Tokyo Bay Hilton. Now I've got to work out the details for other hotels and the rest of our trip. Let the countdown begin!
    Happy planning! If you have any general questions, feel free to send me a private message. We went to Kyoto on our trip last month besides Tokyo and TDR. I did a crazy amount of research for our trip.
    WDW Annual Passholders

Our Trips:
    Oct. 2006 - Disneyland/DCA (offsite)
    Feb. 2007 - WDW - Coronado
    Oct. 2007 - Disneyland Paris (offsite)
    Apr. 2008 - WDW Honeymoon - Grand Floridian
    Sep. 2008 - WDW - Pop
    Jan. 2009 - WDW - AK Lodge
    Apr. 2009 - Tokyo DL & DisneySea - Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay
    Nov. 2009 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 2011 - WDW Caribbean Beach
    Dec. 2012 - WDW Pop
    Sep. 2013 - WDW Caribbean Beach
    Jan. 2014 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside

Oct. 2014 - Disney Cruise
    2015 - Disneyland
    2019 - Tokyo Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dlandfanrsb View Post
    You should be giddy!! This is TOKYO DISNEY RESORT you're going!!! As for the SLC to NRT non-stop flight.. it is currently being operated by Northwest crews on their A330 aircrafts.. which feature *free* on-demand video/audio TVs in every seat of the plane (including economy class).. and they have lots of Disney movies you can watch. I suggest you watch "Monsters Inc" so you can more fully appreciate that ride.

• You have much to learn...

Enjoy your planning and your trip- Kyoto and Hakone are both really nice- I've only been to each one on day trips, but have never had the time to spend a few days there- so enjoy them while you're there- Hakone is basically near the base of Mt Fuji- so If the weather is clear when you go you'll have really great views of it. Also the flowers will be blooming in the area as well.

I've stayed at the Hilton at Tokyo Bay & really like it there. You mentioned about using Hilton honors- I haven't figured it out yet, but if you're a member, you may wind up getting breakfast there in the mornings- I know if you book the room, along with the breakfast- it usually adds on more than $30 a day to the room rate- but we've never booked the breakfast package, yet for the past few trips, we've gotten it- so you may get lucky as well.

4 days at the parks should be pretty good- for me, it's never enough, but hopefully it will allow you enough of time to see as much as possible- just get in as many shows and attractions as possible- read the other trip reports on this site and take the advise of some of the seasoned visitors of the parks like JoeInJapan and TDLFAN and others I've forgotten to mention- they know the most about the parks and will guide you well.