When To Go? What to see?

Hey, guys. This is my first post so I hope this is appropriate! My family of four(40's-aged parents, 21-year-old son and 18-year-old daughter) is considering a trip to Tokyo for my graduation. I'm Disney obsessed, and we were considering Disney World, but we went several years ago and my brother's not too into the idea. I've told them before how amazing the Tokyo Disney Resort seems, and my mother suggested going there, as it would appease my brother too; at least, the Tokyo part.

I have no idea where to begin, though, with planning. Firstly, if we went, the earliest we could go is the middle of May 2010, for probably about two weeks? Ish? We're not sure how long. We could go later in the summer, but I figured it would be busier then, right? The only other time we could go is right after Christmas, until the 8th or 9th of January. I'm assuming the better time to go would be later in May, right? Please, teach me, o' wise Micechatters.

Secondly, how long to go? We figure this is probably a once-in-a-lifetime trip and I'd love to get to see all the shows/ride all the rides that we can. How many days for Tokyo Disneyland, and how many for Disney Sea? One or two for Tokyo Disneyland, three for Disney Sea? More if I can swing it? I'd love any input.

Thirdly, does anyone know of any good Tokyo Disney planning sites? There are TONS for Disneyland and Disney World, but I'm not having much luck googling planning sites for Tokyo Disney Resort.

Also, is it worth it to try to go to Hong Kong Disneyland? I don't know how feasible this would be for us, but this is the closest we'll probably ever be to China, and I'd love to someday say I'd been to all the Disney parks around the world... if we did get to go there, how long should we stay?

Lastly, does anyone have suggestions of things that are not to be missed in a trip to Tokyo? My family's very excited at the possibility of this trip, and want to see all the cool things that we can! If it helps, both males in our family are computer nerds, and the girls are into girly/adorable things like the Japanese seem to do so well. So... I'll be googling fun possible things for us to do as well.

Sorry this is such a novel. Any and all input will be really appreciated!
    Last edited by fayt19; 06-02-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added a question

Thumbs up Re: When To Go? What to see?

Thanks for posting and let me just say, if your a disney fan you should be pleasently suprised when you see TDR.

2 weeks into may is good but try to dodge past golden week. So yes may is one of the best times. I would go for about 5 or 6 days. 2 at TDL 3 or 4 at TDS. TDS is a unique park so its very important to see. I can't think of any sites other than the main site but you can check out this site called Chris's TDR fan site for info on rides and attractions/shows Tokyo Disney Resort Tokyo Disneyland Tokyo DisneySea Fan Photos Information

As for HKDL... I dont think its anything special. I would wait untill they add to it a bit and then go. Another few tips are...

1. Disney Sea is much less busy then DL
    2. Go to monsters in the morning and get a fastpass or standby. (early)
    3. Have a great trip. We would love to hear about it later

I hope this helps.

Re: When To Go? What to see?

Thank you so much! That definitely helped. I can't wait to look through that site, it looks awesome.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fayt19 View Post
    Hey, guys. This is my first post so I hope this is appropriate!
    Welcome to our little disfunctional family.
    I have no idea where to begin, though, with planning. Firstly, if we went, the earliest we could go is the middle of May 2010, for probably about two weeks? Ish? We're not sure how long. We could go later in the summer, but I figured it would be busier then, right? The only other time we could go is right after Christmas, until the 8th or 9th of January. I'm assuming the better time to go would be later in May, right? Please, teach me, o' wise Micechatters.
    Best time to visit seems to be April and late May. AVOID: first week of january (New year holidays), first week in May (Golden week), June (rainy season), August (entire month as it is summer vacation for the japanese), last week of December, and from mid-January thru march (very cold weather and lots of closures due to refurbishings).

Secondly, how long to go? We figure this is probably a once-in-a-lifetime trip and I'd love to get to see all the shows/ride all the rides that we can. How many days for Tokyo Disneyland, and how many for Disney Sea? One or two for Tokyo Disneyland, three for Disney Sea? More if I can swing it? I'd love any input.
    4-days should be enough time to do it all. Get a 4-day passport (at TDR, you can only park hop on a 3rd and 4th day of your 3/4 day passport. There is no park hopping on 1 and 2-day passports.
    I would suggest purchasing a 4-day passport, do TDL the 1st day, TDS the 2nd day, and then use the 3rd and 4th day to see what you missed and what you'll like to see again. Remember, TDR is not a huge resort like WDW, but it's quality is 10 times better than WDW and there is a lot to see in those two parks. One more thing, take TDS at leisure.. it is the most lavishly themed Disney park on earth. You can walk it and never ride an attraction and feel like you got your money's worth.

Thirdly, does anyone know of any good Tokyo Disney planning sites?
    Besides the information that we (o'wise Micechatters like myself) can provide (I have been visiting TDR regularly since 1989), the only other site I can recommend for planning is www.jtcent.com so do not accept substitutes..
    Also, is it worth it to try to go to Hong Kong Disneyland? I don't know how feasible this would be for us, but this is the closest we'll probably ever be to China, and I'd love to someday say I'd been to all the Disney parks around the world... if we did get to go there, how long should we stay?
    HKDL is still a baby park... small and can be seen in just one single day. That park benefits from being located in a very nice area in Lantau Island, surrounded by gorgeous mountains and nearby, one of the most spectacular cities on Earth awaits. I would recommend going to Hong Kong to see the city first and foremost, and then do HKDL as a 1-day side trip. Its very easy to get there by train and anyone who confesses to have an obsession for Disney should visit this little park. The park is pretty enough and offers great entertainment and theme that I feel it's worth checking out ONLY! if you go to Hong Kong for the city and sightseeing the area.

As for sightseeing in Tokyo... so many places to go to and I would recommend getting a TimeOut guide for the city so you can choose what you want to see.

Thanks so much, TDLFAN. That helps a lot.

Planning is my passion. I love to seek out places to go and plan an adventure. I reco getting a couple of guide books (perhaps one for Tokyo and one for Japan) if your family is serious about going...get ones with pictures so that can aid you in your decisions. TDR is amazing, it's the crown jewel of the Disney Parks IMHO. There's plenty of pictures out there to get an idea and various sample itens. Just search this board and the travelsites. Like TDLFAN said the middle of May is a very good time. I just got back and weather was good and the crowds in the Parks weren't that bad. I've also been there in late September (for Halloween season)--and it was much more crowded. I prefer to see the Parks without all the Halloween pumpkin garb, but that's just me, and they do it really good there.

Besides TDR, Tokyo offers a lot. It is so culturally different than the US. Really different. In Tokyo there's the Ginza area (high-rises/5th Ave), Shibuya (cool and funky), the Palace, the Fish Market-now that's a must to see the tuna auction, Sumo wrestling (depending on time of year you go you can easily purchase tickets and view some matches), Kabuki theater and the architecture of the city of course...and lets not forget the magnitude of people. I would recommend that you stay and spend some time in Tokyo, then even stay out at the TDR a couple of days, and also plan a trip (just for a night) to Hiroshima. I know it sounds totally textbook boring, but it is such a moving experience and once you've visited the memorial park and the museum there you'll wonder why any country would ever want to have a Nuke. Not much else to do there other than that. 2 weeks in Japan is good, and you can get a lot or a little done depending on your preferences.

Not sure how many package tours there are out there. I'm not a big fan of that, I don't like to be forced to meet people if I don't want. I've planned all of my vacations by finding a decently priced flight and then figured out everything I wanted to do and then scheduled it and then found my own hotels. I don't believe that scheduling a package trip to TDR is as easy for us Americans as it is to plan a trip to WDW-i never found a site that did it all, but then I may have missed it. Good luck...and we're here to help.