I need help with TDL strategy!

We're a party of two adults and four young kids, frequent park guests (WDW/DL/HKDL) but newbies to TDR.
    We'll only have one full day at TDL, a Thursday in mid-June (will hit TDS the next day).
    I'm a little concerned about the stampede that I'm told can occur at park opening. With all our little ones, it'll be difficult to maneuver quickly in the crowd. Would you suggest that we have one of the adults run on ahead and get fastpasses for one of our must-do rides (probably Monsters Inc.) and have the rest of us just catch up as soon as we can? Should we just stick together and wait out the worst of the rush, and just settle for a later fastpass return? Are fastpasses likely to be gone early in the day, do you suppose?

Thanks a lot,
    Cat

• Not here to help

Re: I need help with TDL strategy!

Get there as early as possible. One hour before the park opens should do it. Make sure to get Fastpasses for Monsters first thing in the morning. Send someone ahead to do that. If you wont make it in time... just go on Monsters as soon as you can. After that go to Pooh and then Splash Mountain... and so on. Having done these rides as early as possible is important since they tend to have long lines later in the day.

At DisneySEA I would get a fastpass for Indiana Jones first thing in the morning and do Stormrider on standby. Indiana Jones has very long waits mostly and Stormrider is a good warm up for the rest of rides of the day.
    I like to go on Journey To The Center Of The Earth after Indiana Jones (perhaps as my second fastpass). It makes the Indy ride look less lame in comparison.
    A great ride to do use as a wait if a big show is coming up or a fastpass entry is getting close is Sinbad. That ride never has long waits, but is not to miss.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 06-03-2009 at 12:37 PM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Tx3's advice is right no. Get there serious 1hr no less than 45mins. Get into the Park and move with the crowd but send 1 person on (don't forget to take everyone's tickets with you) to Monsters which is where most go. Some stop right away for pics with Mickey and Minnie and the characters that greet you at opening--but stay your course to Monsters immediately...and have your other half meet you and the kids in Fantasyland and you can do those while waiting for Monsters FP to hit. Once you can get a new FP do it for Pooh. And then just relax, but play the FP game all day long as best you can with the kids. I often do the Parks alone, but when you're with someone it makes FP all that much easier. All the "good" rides can be done, but make sure you take it all in and relax. It is just beautiful...and have fun. For the kids--characters like to hang out on the backside of Cinderella's castle and infront of Small World. They're also at the entrance throughout most of the day.

For TDS the same applies. Get their early (won't be as crowded) and head for Mysterious Island. Do those (which I believe are somewhat kid friendly depending on height), or FP and then go to Indy if applicable or TOT if applicable with kids as well. Mermaid Lagoon is just steps away from Mysterious Island and perfect for the kids. There's an opening Parade on the Lagoon with characters...if you want to do that take a seat at the viewing area just off the Lagoon as they dock the boat/float and do a couple little dance numbers there and then greet.

BEST ADVICE THOUGH--take light rain jackets so you can walk in the rain....just incase. Umbreallas are so cumbersome.

• Banned User

Cat,
    If one of the adults can run to get in line for FP for Monsters at TDL, (with everyone's passports in hand) that would be a great start. Many people do not feel that the Monsters ride is worth waiting too long.. so make a priority to get a FP before they are out, which has been happening within 90 mins of park opening.. YES, it is that popular.
    TDS.. my advise is.. leave TOT for later. Go straight to 20K, get a FP, then ride JTTCOTE on the stand by. Then go to Indy and ride on standby. By then, your FP for 20K will be up and you can ride. Then head to TOT and get a FP for that one. Then after that, you can start taking the day easy and enjoying not only the rides but also the fabulous theming of the park.

Thank you so much for your help. This was exactly what I was looking for.

Our whole family is incredibly excited about our Tokyo sightseeing as well as our Disney visit and this board has been very helpful with our planning.

If anyone has any more tips I would love to hear them.

Thanks,
    Cat

Please make sure to have fun and don't worry too much about the hordes of people. We visited two weeks ago and I was prepared for the worst but it was great and crowds were light especially in DisneySea. Monsters on the other side is the ride from hell because all of the breakdowns we encountered, but we thought it was worth a 140 minute wait.
    Just relax and have fun with the kids that is the most important and if you miss something because you were taking it all in at a relaxing pace you will have a better overall experience than running around the parks optaining fastpasses.

Have e great Time !!

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by CatFromOuterSpace View Post
    Thank you so much for your help. This was exactly what I was looking for.

Our whole family is incredibly excited about our Tokyo sightseeing as well as our Disney visit and this board has been very helpful with our planning.

If anyone has any more tips I would love to hear them.

Thanks,
    Cat
    Make sure to end the day with a reride on the best thing in the park JTTCOTE. When the sun sets... itīs really nice to go on the gondolas... but donīt waste precious "getting fastpasses time" on them.

Here are some places I have been to in Tokyo amung others...:

If you get the chance... take a boat ride on the waters of Tokyo and Tokyo bay. I have a friend that rented a motorboat that we used to cruise around with. You get to see a side of Tokyo that is not crowded and not hectic at all. It is not the same thing as going on those cruise ships that you see in Tokyo. It is not easy to fix this without contacts in Japan already...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKCKWCw_ZxI"]YouTube - Tokyo boat ride[/ame]

If there is sun... go to a park. There are many nice parks with low fees but great calm and nature. I was in one in Shinjuku. Itīs central Tokyo. Very nice! Many parks serve green tea and as a tourist you get intructions how to drink it
    http://lh6.ggpht.com/_iJTZL4LIS-8/Ry...s/DSC00138.JPG

Go to Tokyo Dome. They have some coasters and... mini rides. One of the coasters is... thrilling. Give it an hour or two, itīs a mini themepark with a huge coaster. You pay per ride.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RFcWkwxTHR...R/IMGP1852.JPG

Tokyo Tower...
    http://205.158.108.67/stuff/Tokyo_at..._1600x1200.jpg

Fish market...
    http://image18.webshots.com/19/9/12/...8GdaCmp_fs.jpg
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 06-05-2009 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Make sure to end the day with a reride on the best thing in the park JTTCOTE.
    Wouldn't I love to do that! That sounds perfect!
    Unfortunately JTTCOTE will be closed for rehab during our visit. I didn't realize this until I looked at the closures list a couple of days ago and I was horrified! Oh well...an excuse to come back again someday before too long!

Thanks again everyone for all the tips... the Tokyo touring tips too! We're so excited we're just about to go nuts.

Cat

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by CatFromOuterSpace View Post
    Wouldn't I love to do that! That sounds perfect!
    Unfortunately JTTCOTE will be closed for rehab during our visit. I didn't realize this until I looked at the closures list a couple of days ago and I was horrified! Oh well...an excuse to come back again someday before too long!

Thanks again everyone for all the tips... the Tokyo touring tips too! We're so excited we're just about to go nuts.

Cat
    Well that is just the luck I always have. Those once in a lifetime things are best two or three times, sometimes even more. Make it a goal to get there again in a couple of years and you will be there, and so will a bunch of other new things to see in the park.

Have fun! (You will)

• Banned User

Is it me or TTT gets handsomer with every new avatar photo?

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Is it me or TTT gets handsomer with every new avatar photo?
    Dot worry Iīm just faking it... a bit like Tyra Banks. Great in pictures but awful... just awful in real life.

But thankīs.

I wish I could make some funny Disney pics while in Tokyo next time and put as a avatar