Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Just another Disney fan..

Re: JR rail between narita and maihama station

>>Take elevator up to 3rd level and connect to Musashino Line to Maihama.<<

If your timing is good this is an acceptable route. However, JR Musashino does not run as frequent as many other JR lines. You can end up waiting 20 or more minutes if you just miss the previous train.

• Banned User

Still, the time you wait for the Musashino is shorter than going all the way to Tokyo/Ueno. I have done both routes multiple times, and I find it faster to go thru Nishi-Funabashi.. not to mention cheaper. But it's true, some times of the day, the Musashino only operates twice an hour. If that was the case and you had to wait more than 20 minutes... consider taking the very next musashino to Minami-Funabashi, then transfering to the local, or rapid Keiyo Line to Maijama.. it will probably get you to Maihama about 5-10 minutes earlier than the Musashino.. but this is only recommended when you have no luggage to haul or miss the musashino out of Nishi-Funabashi by mere minutes/seconds. Of course.. you may opt to go shopping at Minami's Ikea.. and that would delay you by hours.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    If I was bringing along luggage, I would choose the Tokyo Station long walk over the Hatchobori transfer. The most direct path between platforms at Hatchobori features long slopes and stairs with little elevator/escalator access.
    I've done that transfer a couple of times with luggage, and it's not at all fun. There are several sets of stairs with no elevator/escalator option as far as I could tell, and I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Take the Keisei Skyliner or the Keisei Limited Express train from Narita Airport to FUNABASHI Station. Walk 5 minutes to the JR Funabashi station (connected from the Keisei via escalators and bridge, easy to do with luggage), then take the yellow train one stop down to NISHI-FUNABASHI. Take elevator up to 3rd level and connect to Musashino Line to Maihama.
    The JR trip from Funabashi to Maihama is only 210 yen.
    The trip from the airport to Funabashi is somewhere between 700 yen (on the limited express) or 1,200 yen (if you do the faster Skyliner train).

The routing above is the fastest way from Narita Airport to TDR, and it is much cheaper than going to Tokyo station or Ueno station. Take it from someone who does the trains like a local man would.
    This is the route I now always take. And last time I did it, I noted that I got all the way from the luggage carousel at Narita to my hotel room at the TDR Sheraton without going up or down a single step - there are escalators or elevators every step along the way using this route. So, luggage is not a problem as long as you don't have more than one "stack" per person and it has wheels (the newer kind with 4 wheels are *much* easier than the two-wheeled variety - much more so than you might think). And, as TDLFAN said, it is the cheapest (about a third of the price of the N'EX) and fastest way to the resort.

Having said all of that, I'm not sure I'd recommend it for someone that's never been to Tokyo before. There will be many decision points along the way, and it's not that difficult to get lost or just miss the next train trying to find your way around a station, which may end up negating all of the time savings. For a first-time visitor that wants to take the train, I'd recommend Roger55's suggestion of the N'EX to Tokyo Station, then the Keiyo or Musashino Line to Mahiama Station. It's only one transfer and both lines are JR, and you can get the discount N'EX Suica. It's 5x easier than the cheapest/shortest route that TDLFAN described.

• Banned User

Nonsense. A first timer can do the routing I described. Signs are in english most of the way and its easier than trying to transfer in Tokyo Station.

• KotBR

I have to side with TDLFAN on this one. His instructions are clear and concise. In fact, I think Superdry's line here
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdry
    it's not that difficult to get lost or just miss the next train trying to find your way around a station
    applies far more to Tokyo station than Funabashi.

I would contend that, for a first-time visitor, all the different lines converging at Tokyo station are far more confusing. And the "long walk" to the Musashino line within the same station can stretch credulity pretty thin. "How can this possibly be the same station? I've been walking down this tunnel for a long time now..."

The only part that I might see as confusing is Nishi-Funabashi (three JR lines! ohnoes! vs Tokyo's what, seven lines?), but TDLFAN was again very clear: 3rd floor Musashino line.

• Banned User

3rd floor musashino line and on 99% of the times.. platform #11 if I recall. I do it so often now, I just don't look at signs anymore.

Hi,

Our plane lands at 630pm if on time, are there any direct shuttles to disney after this? Looking for less hassle.

If i have ot go int oTokyo, then we may as well find a cheap hotel near a station as our first day is sightseeing tokyo, then 3 days disney....

Is there a cheap hotel right near a station we can get off at with minimum walking? We both have disabilities and cant walk far...

Is there a direct bus from Tokyo station to disney early in the morning?

Many thanks
    2000 - Disneyland
    2000 - Walt Disney World
    2005 - Disneyland
    2005 - Walt Disney World
    2006 - Hong Kong Disneyland
    2006 - Tokyo Disneyland/sea
    2007 - Hong Kong Disneyland
    2008 - Hong kong Disneyland x2
    2009 - Hong Kong Disneyland x2
    Upcoming
    Dec 2009 Hong Kong Disneyland
    Febuary 2010 Tokyo Disney
    July 2010 Hong Kong Disneyland

Glenbot: If you are going to only be in the Tokyo area on your trip, its totally not worth it to get any JR pass, let alone a seven day one. In Tokyo you primarily use the Tokyo Metro system which is a totally different thing. The only time you would actually need to use a JR train is to transfer from the metro to JR for a stop or two on the way to disneyland and for that you can just buy a ticket at the station for a 100 yen or something cheap like that.

As for how to get from Narita to Tokyo, I always take a shuttle bus instead of a train - much easier with your luggage and often times cheaper. Most major hotels are on the airport shuttle bus route.

btw, I went to Disney Sea in February this year and the crowds weren't bad at all.

vickitricki: There are about a 1,001 stations in Tokyo. (well maybe not that many) So yes, there are hotels near many of them, however no matter where, all are going to involve some walking and if you don't know exactly where to go, then you might end up lost and with your luggage too. Even the stations themselves are going to require some walking and going up and down stairs. (the two that connect to Nartia - Tokyo Station and Ueno Station are two of the biggest.) So in your case, I would also recommend a shuttle bus from the airport. I'm not sure about cheap hotels but most moderate and all expensive hotels have shuttles from the airport.

I also agree with Super Dry - if you are a first time Tokyo visitor it is not difficult to get lost in the stations and even on the wrong train, despite signs being in English. I've been to Tokyo 5 times and lived in Japan for 3 years and even I sometimes still make mistakes. That's why I would always recommend taking a bus from the airport (if available). Much less stress and physical exertion which you will not want to do after a long flight anyways. I believe I remember seeing a disney hotels shuttle bus, but can't be sure.
    Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 08-16-2009 at 08:17 PM.

I was right, there is a bus line from the airport directly to the Disney Hotels. If you just want to get to your disney hotel directly from the airport, I would say this is the best way to go - far less hassle:

BUS ROUTE - Sheraton Grande Hotel, Daiichi Hotel Tokyo Bay, Tokyo Bay Hilton, Sunroute Plaza Tokyo, Tokyo Bay Hotel Tokyu, Tokyo Disney Land (all official disney hotels) - Narita Airport
    TIME - 60 min
    fare - 2,200 Yen
    Reservation numbers: 03-3665-7220, 0476-24-3331, 0473-52-2111

It looks like the last bus departs at 8pm.

Usually you don't need a reservation though - you just go up to the Airport Limousine Bus counter and tell them the name of your hotel and how many tickets. They'll give you the tickets and point out what time the next bus is arriving. You then go outside 10 minutes before the bus is scheduled to come and wait at a designated number.
    Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 08-16-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer View Post
    I was right, there is a bus line from the airport directly to the Disney Hotels. If you just want to get to your disney hotel directly from the airport, I would say this is the best way to go - far less hassle:

BUS ROUTE - Sheraton Grande Hotel, Daiichi Hotel Tokyo Bay, Tokyo Bay Hilton, Sunroute Plaza Tokyo, Tokyo Bay Hotel Tokyu, Tokyo Disney Land (all official disney hotels) - Narita Airport
    TIME - 60 min
    fare - 2,200 Yen
    Reservation numbers: 03-3665-7220, 0476-24-3331, 0473-52-2111

It looks like the last bus departs at 8pm.

Usually you don't need a reservation though - you just go up to the Airport Limousine Bus counter and tell them the name of your hotel and how many tickets. They'll give you the tickets and point out what time the next bus is arriving. You then go outside 10 minutes before the bus is scheduled to come and wait at a designated number.
    Not sure where you got your info. According to the Airport Limousine Official website, the last bus to the Tokyo Disney Resort area is 5:05 PM. Every time this question has come up, I have never heard of a later departing bus.

Hotels in Tokyo Disney Resort (Maihama) Area&hArr;Narita Airport |Scheduled Services | Airport Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    Not sure where you got your info. According to the Airport Limousine Official website, the last bus to the Tokyo Disney Resort area is 5:05 PM. Every time this question has come up, I have never heard of a later departing bus.

Hotels in Tokyo Disney Resort (Maihama) Area&hArr;Narita Airport |Scheduled Services | Airport Limousine
    They list up to 20 which is 8pm, but really the site could indicate the times better (you could be right). I do know though that I've taken a bus (to a non Disney hotel) after 6 pm, and that is when I thought I had seen the Disney bus before.

Still though, since it seems they just want to get to their hotels, its better that they know there is another option rather than the trains. They should just call the hotel they are planning to stay at and ask them what the bus schedule is.
    Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 08-16-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer View Post
    They list up to 20 which is 8pm, but really the site could indicate the times better (you could be right). I do know though that I've taken a bus (to a non Disney hotel) after 6 pm, and that is when I thought I had seen the Disney bus before.

Still though, since it seems they just want to get to their hotels, its better that they know there is another option rather than the trains. They should just call the hotel they are planning to stay at and ask them what the bus schedule is.
    The table heading goes up to 8PM. That is true.

The way you read the table is you look for entries in the columns. For example, the lasr entry in the table is in "17" column. The number in that column is "05". That means the time being indicated is "17:05" or 5:05PM.

If there are multiple numbers in a column, that would mean multiple departures that hour. No entries in a column indicates no departures.

The letters in this table indicate the bus company operating that particular bus.

The table can be confusing to some. It is a good idea to become familiar with this style table because it is commonly used in Japan.

When I arrived in Feb this year, the last shuttle bus had left just after 6.00pm. I brought a JR 4 day rail pass that was just on $300.00 Aussie Dollars and worth every cent.

Using the Tokyo train system was very easy, the staff are wonderful, the trains run on time.

• Banned User

About trains running on time.. well, that has been a challenge lately.. Couple of weeks ago, a fire in the system disrupted the Keiyo Line for most of the day, causing a lot of headaches, delays and chaos to all the commuters who use the line daily, and also great inconvenience to the thousands of guests visiting TDR that day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast