Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TDR or WDW?

• Old Timer

I can just picture Homer Simpson at a Tokyo Disney park....
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyKyle
    WDW for me, but that is probably because I am a WDWite. The only way you will get me to quit going to WDW is to pry my dead, decaying hand and fingers off of a Doom Buggie at the Haunted Mansion. But thats just me, do as you will!
    Oh bigdaddyKyle...no one is forcing you to quit going to WDW, but I will have to say that after visiting WDW and TDR for so many years..I regret to tell you that WDW is lacking sorely in many ways... You only say that because you have never been but trust me, TDR rocks in a way most people who have only been to the WDW parks would not even be able to imagine. Any respectable Disney fan owes him/herself a visit to Tokyo Disney Resort at least once in their lifetime and see what Disneyland and WDW used to be like in their glory days...when the parks were sparkling clean, the entertainment was lavishly produced, and CMs always gave 150% of their dedication into their jobs. ...And I am not saying this to make you feel lesser for being a dedicated WDWite, but there is room for a lot of improvement at WDW now a days, and truly saddens me since WDW is supposed to be the premiere Disney resort (their claim) but those of us who have been to TDR, and even to DLR and DLRP know better....

• Banned User

>>If I went to WDW, I could probably afford more than 3 days. Japan is more expensive that I couldn't afford to stay there long<<

Not really. I have found hotels in Japan for as little as $75 a night. You just have to shop around and be willing to forgo staying at a touristy resort, like the TDR official hotels or good neighbor hotels. Deals are there and if you take the time to do Japan as locals would, you'd be surprised as to how much more you could do with your money there.

• Banned User

>>It seems you're the type who loves the shows/parades more than the rides, then Tokyo is definately the park for you, except for Fantasmic!, TDR has the best shows and events ever created for any Disney parks, you'll feel like the Disney Theme Park world is back in its glory days.
    By the way, TDS alone is worth the trip<<

Could not agree more with this statement.

• Banned User

>>I know the younger generation of Japanese are taught a good amount of English and that CMs are probably trained to know even more than that to handle Guest requests<<

I somewhat disagree with this... To this day I am still amazed as too how few japanese (especially CMs at TDR)m speak good english. Most people I have encountered simply don't. They will politely ask for you to wait while they hurry backstage to find an english speaker. But the majority of CMs at TDR do not dare speak English, and that includes most of those who work in Guest Relations. However, a lot of people in Japan do have some kowledge and will do the best they can to help out, even if in broken english. The sad truth is the japanese have a harder time visiting our parks and cities and are more pressed to find a japanese speaker who can help them on the spot. Speaks volumes about the lack of language education in this country of ours. In regards to Japan, the last decade have seen great improvement in english signage all over the city, with bilingual electronic signs now available in most places you go, such as train stations, malls, TDR and the like, and it's harder to get lost now as opposed to what it was about 10 yrs ago.

• Banned User

>>How much does this hurt the experience of the attraction?<<

For me? It makes the attractions more interesting since it forces me to pay closer attention to the visuals, but it doesn't hurt my experience in the very least.

>> I guess stuff like the Haunted Mansion doesn't hurt since I've been on a US one, but does it hurt the mood?<<

Not at all. The japanese ghost host is as sinister sounding as our ghost host is in english, and maybe even a bit more..

>>Is it still a good time or just more of a "Wow, they sure don't keep this stuff looking this good back home" sort of a thing?<<

It's as good a time as anything in the US parks, plus the added attention to cleanliness is a huge plus. In fact, the only thing distracting me a bit are those green Exit signs inside the attractions which are a requirement of building codes of safety in Japan, and there is no way around them. Building codes are quite strict in Japan due to the constant sismic activity in the area.

>> DisneySea attractions might be an even bigger stumbling block in that regard since I don't have a US version handy to use as a reference (shame, huh?)<<

I agree... I still would love to connect more with TDS' premiere rides due tot eh fact that I don't know exactly what's being said due to the japanese narrations. However, the ride visuals, such as those found inside JTTCOTE and 20K are engaging enough to make you forget the japanese narration and grab your attention nevertheless. I thoroughly enjoy my time at TDS and riding TDS' rides and attractions even if they are in japanese. Sindbad Seven Voyages is probably the most frustrating ride of them all because it's driven by a storyline... Yet those darn miniature AAs will blow your mind away every time you ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    >>If I went to WDW, I could probably afford more than 3 days. Japan is more expensive that I couldn't afford to stay there long<<

Not really. I have found hotels in Japan for as little as $75 a night. You just have to shop around and be willing to forgo staying at a touristy resort, like the TDR official hotels or good neighbor hotels. Deals are there and if you take the time to do Japan as locals would, you'd be surprised as to how much more you could do with your money there.
    The really cheap hotels in Tokyo tend to be those that cater to Japanese businessmen and are not really set up for American tourists--tiny rooms, few English speakers on staff, etc. My personal recommendation is the New Takanawa Prince in Shinagawa. It's not cheap but it's reasonable and it's a very modern hotel that caters to many international travelers. It's a five minute walk to Shinagawa station where you can catch a train to Tokyo station and transfer to the Keiyo line to get to the TDR. This sounds complicated but it's really easy and actually seems to take less time than getting somewhere by bus in WDW. The hotel also has a free shuttle bus to TDR but traffic is pretty bad in Tokyo and the train is a lot faster.

http://www.princehotelsjapan.com/new...waprincehotel/

Flying to Tokyo is more expensive and takes a heck of a lot longer than flying to WDW, but staying in Tokyo is more reasonable than you'd imagine. TDR is so worth it.

• Banned User

Great recommendation Queenie, althought I would prefer to be a bit closer to TDR!!! And yes... TDR is so worth the 12 hr plane ride!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Oh bigdaddyKyle...no one is forcing you to quit going to WDW, but I will have to say that after visiting WDW and TDR for so many years..I regret to tell you that WDW is lacking sorely in many ways... You only say that because you have never been but trust me, TDR rocks in a way most people who have only been to the WDW parks would not even be able to imagine. Any respectable Disney fan owes him/herself a visit to Tokyo Disney Resort at least once in their lifetime and see what Disneyland and WDW used to be like in their glory days...when the parks were sparkling clean, the entertainment was lavishly produced, and CMs always gave 150% of their dedication into their jobs. ...And I am not saying this to make you feel lesser for being a dedicated WDWite, but there is room for a lot of improvement at WDW now a days, and truly saddens me since WDW is supposed to be the premiere Disney resort (their claim) but those of us who have been to TDR, and even to DLR and DLRP know better....
    yeah, reading alot of WDW threads I have come to see that WDW has maintenence issues not unlike what Disneyland was facing just a year ago (Disneyland might've even been worse at that time)

so I'd say your probably right about the whole "seeing the parks in their prime" thing, it's kinda sad really, I'm sure that WDW will make the turnaround eventualy though

Disneyland has only started tokyo like polocies recently with the whole refurbishment project and the recent reuse of parade floats for special character celebartions and other shows (from what I hear tokyo does this quite a bit to present fresh entertainment more effeciently and effectivly)

I think the differencess in philosophy are that WDW is so big and has so much land that they don't really need to consider redeveloping and enhancing as ways to bring people in the way the other parks do (hence the fact that WDW is still pretty much without holiday overlays *excepting the country bears show*) they can just keep making small additions to some parks and big additions to smaller parks or sometimes just build another park entirly

Tokyo knows it's small so they seem to be adding detail and coming up with plans to make effective use of every space they've got and it looks like Disneyland will soon be offering a similar polocy

the vote's still out on Paris if you ask me, I think it suffered from the same maintenence cutbacks as DLR and WDW it's just not as visible because the parks still so young (what IS visible is Paris's lack of new attractions which is supposed to be fixed soon enough)

I'm sure eventualy WDW will consider uping it's refurbishment and development plans, especialy when they reach the point were adding new parks doesn't do much for them (I tend to find the idea of a fifth park to be not that great but that's just my opinion)

as far as trip recommendations I'm not too sure, I haven't been to WDW in a while and I'll probably go soon in the coming years

I would take a trip to tokyo if I could and I recommend you do the same, if not for the maintenece and shows then simply to see Pooh and all the uniqueness of Tokyo Sea

WDW will probably have the most going for them next year (2006) when they open Expedition Everest (that'll be when I'll look at visiting again)

• Banned User

>>Disneyland has only started tokyo like polocies recently with the whole refurbishment project and the recent reuse of parade floats for special character celebartions and other shows (from what I hear tokyo does this quite a bit to present fresh entertainment more effeciently and effectivly)<<

Yes, but only during very limited events do they do this, such as the Countdown Parade at the end of the year on New year's Eve and such. But TDR does recycle parade floats, with the added difference that they re-dress them so differently from one parade to another, sometimes they are unrecongnizable. How many people here realize the three section Princess float chasis from the '100 yrs of magic' Parade is the same float chasis now used as Minnie/Daisy/Marie princess float in the current "Bouquet of Love" Parade, which was also used as the Donald/Daisy snake charmer float in the last Disney's Halloween Parade in 2004???

>>Tokyo knows it's small so they seem to be adding detail and coming up with plans to make effective use of every space they've got<<

Actually my opinion on this is that OLC knows they have a very dedicate fan base in Japan, and they want to keep the locals coming in as much as possible, which is why they do so many special events year after year! I am glad to see DLR appears tobe doing the same.

>>the vote's still out on Paris if you ask me, I think it suffered from the same maintenence cutbacks as DLR and WDW it's just not as visible because the parks still so young<<

IMHO...I think Paris was doomed fromthe start by a Cast that had no clue what a Disney Park was all about. A great majority of the Paris CMs had never been to another Disney when they were hired and I don't think the CMs from WDW did a great job conveying the Disney philosophy there. Plus you have very aggressive union issues in France to deal with as well. Cleanliness has been a problem at DLP for quite sometime, and budgets may or may not have something to do about it, but also, the european guests do not seem to understand and respect the park, because they trash it mercilessly, plus they jump fences and trample gardens and flower beds without regard. Very frustrating for me to see this happen over there. I understand there has been some progress made but really...the CMs there do not seem to do their best to prevent these types of problems.

>>I'm sure eventualy WDW will consider uping it's refurbishment and development plans, especialy when they reach the point were adding new parks doesn't do much for them (I tend to find the idea of a fifth park to be not that great but that's just my opinion)<<

Yeah...maybe for WDW' 50th, we'll see some push towards a cleaner, better maintained WDW. But as you said..WDW is a big place. WAY TOO BIG in my opinion since quality has suffered a lot and that tell me they don't have the means or manpower or budgets to keep up with it's maintenance requirement. Also I agree with you...a 5th park added to WDW would be disastrous. The Central Florida market is already saturated with these themed parks and they don't need another one at WDW. I much rather see the money being placed to bring the MK's offerings into the 21st century already, and better the experience at the parks they already have.

• Bending Unit

Having just returned from TDR I thought I'd add a few thoughts (turned into a lot of thoughts!).

First off, I have been really fortunate to be able to travel a lot and am in the unusual position to have visitted all the Disney parks with the exception of DCA (and I suppose the upcoming HKDL). My vote, for what it's worth, goes to TDS, for being the most amazing theme park in the world.

Indeed, my first visit to TDR restored my faith in Disney parks and reminded me of how I used to experience them. For example, TDL shops are each different, still including, for example, a magic shop. Characters in the park are approachable (with the exception of Micky and Minnie who are mobbed), with the cast member 'body guard' casually in the background. Food prices are affordable, restaurants offer quality food, and generally corners are not cut. The excellence and pride in craftmanship on display is no where typified more than in TDS.

About a month ago, me and my partner strolled through DisneySea and we were constantly struck by the incredible attention to detail and no-expense-spared beauty of the park. The first time we visitted, we 'sprinted' through the park to do all the rides, but this time we took our time. Well, the rides are amazing, the queues are stunning, the selection staggering (remember, this park opened with about 6 major E-ticket rides!). I speak no Japanese, and consequently I felt I missed out with some of the rides (Aladdin Magic Lamp Theatre, Storm Rider, and to a lesser extent, Sinbad's Voyages), but they were still highly enjoyable. By the end of 2006, TDS will have a Tower of Terror and small rollercoaster (Altars of Fire and Water, a la Indiana Jones DLP I'm guessing) and the park will be unstoppable.

TDL also features some amazing rides and restaurant. We made of point of eating in the Queen of Hearts diner, and focusing on Pooh's Hunny Hunt (amazing, though ride the last of the three honey pots).

I should say that TDR's real weakness is its popularity, because TDL is always busy. I dread to think what peak season is like, so head my warning: travel at low-season only, and do TDL on Tue-Thu.

So how does TDR shape up against the other resorts? Well, it's very accessible, and language is not really a problem (though a few basic Japanese words will help). Plenty of guides available on navigating Tokyo, as well as travelling to TDR resort. English is not as fluent as in the DLP resort, but you will not have any real problems. Western food is available, but Japanese / Oriental food is the predominant cuisine (no surprises there).

DLP is a beautiful park, probably the prettiest and best laid out of all 'Magic Kingdom' parks. It has the best Space Mountain and Big Thunder Railroad (the track goes under the lake to get to the coaster 'island'), and prettiest landscaping. But the DSP is a frightening stain on the Disney legacy (those of you who despise DCA, beware!). It opened with 3 1/2 E-ticket rides (c.f. TDS's 6!) and little else (I'm not counting shows / theatres here, sorry). It has an abysmal landscaping and terrible theming -- having done away with 50 years of Disney architecture and urban design. So, wait for DSP to open its Tower of Terror or be disappointed.

WDW is a wonderful resort with so much to do it is almost overwhelming. I love the place, but one nagging feeling I came away with (4 years ago) that I was being ripped off. Food prices were so high we resorted to eating a huge breakfast and skipping lunch, then eating dinner outside the parks. Park hours seemed curfewed to the point of ridicule. What happened to the Disney park magic at night? TDR's parks are open till 22:00 in low-season! You really notice this when, in the Tokyo parks, crowds thin in the evening when children become too tired, and you get some real value for time and money in reduced queueing.

Don't get me wrong. We are planning a trip to WDW in 2006, but will probably set aside two weeks or more, and plan our accommodation carefully. If you plan your TDR accommodation (cheap hotels in Tokyo) carefully, everything else becomes affordable. If you plan your WDW accommodation carefully, you still have meals to worry about. But that was my feeling.

As for the parks, I love EPCOT for plenty of reasons. We also loved MGM when we last visitted -- it seemed extremely accessible as a park and not overcrowded. And it was my first trip to Animal Kingdom. I liked Dinorama (which had just opened) as a one-off concept for theming. But taken as a whole, there was something strangely lacking from AK. Perhaps Expedition Everest will change that by upping the ride factor.

But in the end I think AK lacked the 'wow' factor I felt when I first visitted EPCOT as a child, in the same way TDS 'wowed' me as an adult. Those moments make the Disney parks amazing -- Tower of Terror had that effect on me, as did IOA's Spiderman (wow, what a ride). In that sense, I think the Japanese do Disney better.

• Banned User

Lovely lovely lovely assessment of the Disney experience Mr. Rodriguez ^^^ Kudos. I am always amazed how well others here seem to interpret the TDR experience when I seem to fail to deliver the message and still believing I am it's biggest Fan!!! Great post up above.

>> What happened to the Disney park magic at night? (at WDW)<<

E-ticket nights and Magic Hour Nights. That is what happened. Regular park guests staying off property are being sent home early in favor of exclusive perks such as extra time at the parks for those guests who stay on Disney property hotels. A concept that I find extremely unjust and unnecessary, like Fastpass. But that is another topic altogether.

• Bending Unit

Cheers TDLFan... we aim to please

Thanks for the great overview, Bender. I haven't had the chance to travel to Paris yet, but I've been to all the other major parks and agree with you that TDR blows the rest away. When you add the benefit of also visiting one of the world's most interesting and accessible cities, TDR is definately a top Disney choice. Next year I'm planning to forgo my 3 or 4 annual WDW visits (I'm a short plane ride away) in favor of a single Tokyo visit. IMHO, Tokyo is both more interesting and a better value.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Bender Rodriguez
    I have been really fortunate to be able to travel a lot and am in the unusual position to have visitted all the Disney parks with the exception of DCA
    That just makes you even more fortunate!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast