Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TDR or WDW?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    That just makes you even more fortunate!
    You know? I don't agree with that. Anyone who has been to WDSP and DCA will tell you this: DCA rocks! when compared to WDSP. When I first visited the Paris Studio, my impression was ..."gimme DCA's more fully realized atmosphere anytime". I am not going to deny that DCA fell short of expectations but I actually enjoyed it for what it is... "a great looking 6-Flags". :devil:

• Bending Unit

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Anyone who has been to WDSP and DCA will tell you this: DCA rocks! when compared to WDSP.
    I'll second that, and I've never been to DCA! It hard to describe the level of shock and disappointed with the 1/2 day experience that is DSP. I read somewhere that the Disney & Mickey statue near the entrance pointed towards the DLP park, back the direction visitors came, as a though warning them.

The front lot entrance (listed as an attraction!), gives way to a park where visitors are left looking about in confusion. Gone are the visual anchors that draw you to a land (castle, space mountain, volcano, temple, thunder mountain mesa anyone?), gone are lands and real theming. It's as though Disney Imagineers (who surely are as frustrated as many of the guests are) were entirely side-stepped by management who abandoned the project half-way through.

A cornerstone of Disney parks seems to be the pleasure of transportation, metaphorically and physically. Well, there's no theming to draw you away from the real world, and (count them!) 1 limo-style rollercoaster, 1 back-stage tram tour vehicle (car park equivalent) and 1 set of carpets going round and round.

Let's compare this to DisneySea, in every way DSP's antithesis: big boats, little boats, gondola's, electric railway, mine-vehicles, submarines, aquatopic thingamadings, trucks, storm-faring science-mobiles and more.

Disneyland, at one time, sported a monorail, submarines, doom-buggies, mine-trains, jungle-boats, sky-way cable-carts, carousels (enclosed and open), nostalgic cars, people-movers, and on and on.

It seems like such an obvious thing to me, that Disney parks (and indeed Disney) celebrated a passion for transportation, and all that that entails, that I am baffled why current Disney management seems to have lost sight of this when the OLC has not.

• Banned User

>>I read somewhere that the Disney & Mickey statue near the entrance pointed towards the DLP park, back the direction visitors came, as a though warning them<<

That's a tall tale. The statue actually points towards Studio 1, which is the indoor 'main street' of WDSP. If you actually drew a line from Walt's finger on partners...the line will most likely end at the RER station. DLP is about 40 degrees to "Partners" left. Give one or two degress of course.

yeah I've seen some pictures of the place from the air Disney Studio's paris isn't directly across from Disneyland Paris the way DCA is directly across from Disneyland o_o

I suppose the statue doesn't have a great effect because it's no longer pointing down an actual roadway?

I've heard studio 1 is the most impressive themeatic experince they have at DSP

youknow Disney should consider doing an indoor themepark sometime that might be cool

of course if they'd been thinking they could've done something like Studio 1 being mainstreet and then sure have it open but do a hub and spoke structure like they have at Disneyland and have other indoor pathways? (anyone else getting what I'm saying?)

it's deffinatly poorly layed out from what I've seen and Toonstudio's will probably be just as bad o_o (especialy since Toonstudio's doesn't look like it will have any Toon's in it just Pixar)

• Banned User

>>youknow Disney should consider doing an indoor themepark sometime that might be cool<<

They did that already: DisneyQuest.

>>I've heard studio 1 is the most impressive themeatic experince they have at DSP<<

If you like flats with neon attached to it. I still like World Bazaar much much better.

• Bending Unit

>>I read somewhere that the Disney & Mickey statue near the entrance pointed towards the DLP park, back the direction visitors came, as a though warning them<<

That's a tall tale. The statue actually points towards Studio 1, which is the indoor 'main street' of WDSP. If you actually drew a line from Walt's finger on partners...the line will most likely end at the RER station. DLP is about 40 degrees to "Partners" left. Give one or two degress of course.
    I think whoever wrote that about the statue was venting their frustration. Certainly the statue points back to the entrance, which is what I think they meant (however sarcastically).

>>youknow Disney should consider doing an indoor themepark sometime that might be cool<<

They did that already: DisneyQuest.

>>I've heard studio 1 is the most impressive themeatic experince they have at DSP<<

If you like flats with neon attached to it. I still like World Bazaar much much better.
    DisneyQuest was more of an arcade and it had more simulators and other odd things as opposed to actual rides

I'm not talking about a mini theme park in a box I'm talking about an indoor themed experience, something not unlike the Little Mermaid area in TDS

I really love the concept of a walkind darkride

and what do you mean by the World Bazaar? I was talking about DSP?

• Banned User

>>and what do you mean by the World Bazaar? I was talking about DSP?<<

I know you were talking about WDSP, and I was comparing it to the 3D feel of TDL's World Bazaar, which is also an indoors area.

• Minion FOREVER!

>>I know the younger generation of Japanese are taught a good amount of English and that CMs are probably trained to know even more than that to handle Guest requests<<

...The sad truth is the japanese have a harder time visiting our parks and cities and are more pressed to find a japanese speaker who can help them on the spot. Speaks volumes about the lack of language education in this country of ours. In regards to Japan, the last decade have seen great improvement in english signage all over the city, with bilingual electronic signs now available in most places you go, such as train stations, malls, TDR and the like, and it's harder to get lost now as opposed to what it was about 10 yrs ago.
    First, completely agree about the lack of language education in US, but it just gets lost when you start cutting funding (last we have in CA over the last 20 years).

2nd, it's completely true about the signage in Japan in English more, but even in the 90s, things were better than the 80s and 70s. Strange thing is that all JR (railway) stations have had english signs (even in the boonies) since late 50s.

BTW. even today, relatively few Japanese (except the students who are trying to learn) speak English well, but even my parents generation (who went to high school/college right after WWII) can read & write fairly decently. Some of my cousins (little bit
    older) are fairly good at speaking, other's are terrible (depending on how much english they have used
    since they graduated). Knowadays, there is a lot of english used in their commercials and signage, and a lot of english has crept into japanese.... e.g. "bye-bye" instead of
    "sayonara".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123