View Poll Results: For which DisneySea attraction would you most enjoy a Queue Tour?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tower of Terror

13 54.17%
  • StormRider

2 8.33%
  • Raging Spirits

1 4.17%
  • Indiana Jones: Temple of the Crystal Skull

8 33.33%
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

4 16.67%
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth

12 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Lightbulb Queue Tours! Get the backstory! Enhance the attraction!^^

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    -TDS... JTTCOTE is closed for rehab. Again, many areas of the park under facelift refurbishing.
    Didn't wanna derail the other thread, so I made a new one:

The great thing about the Journey to the Center of the Earth refurb is that you could take a "queue tour" with a Cast Member explaining the details of the queue exhibitions and theming in character! It was so cool!!!

And I would never have known about it if it wasn't for Ichigopara! THANK YOU!!!

I just checked the schedule for temporary closures on the website and unfortunately JttCotE reopens 6/24 (Wednesday), so if you didn't do the queue tour already and you're not going in the pouring rain today, you're running out of time.

The good news, though, is that Raging Spirits is closed from 8/25~9/3 and 20K Leagues from 9/8~9/19, so hopefully those will have the queue tour, too!

StormRider is closed 9/4~9/7, and that would be a nice tour, though I doubt they'll do it... I hope I'm wrong! Although the queue tour was exclusively in Japanese, it was a very cool experience. That said, it is definitely enhanced by knowing at least some Japanese (Our CM used lots of hand gestures and pointing. She tried explaining in simple Japanese when I looked confused...she made this effort even though we were with a "translator"^^ and without being asked.) or having a Japanese speaker who doesn't mind translating with you. The CM for our tour even waited patiently as one member of our group translated important points into English. Sometimes she even waited as a signal to him, like, "Hey, aren't you gonna translate that? It's a really cool detail!" like they were working together. Very very cool.

Unfortunately, idiot that I am, I had forgotten the battery for my camera on that day... I can't post photos, but I was amazed by the detail of the CMs knowledge of the attraction. I just kept thinking, "This is not her usual job. But she's doing this so casually and so thoroughly, as if it's always part of the attraction." We learned that although the drill parts no longer spin (because the tunnels are finished, I think^^), the wheels on the huge drilling machine that extends out in the central plaza are spinning backwards because it's being pulled out now that it's finished its work.^^

We learned about all the ducts and vents pumping breathable air into our subterranean cavern. And that the exhibits in the queue are in glass cases because the air pressure inside is regulated to match the deep underground pressure (not to protect from overzealous Guests^^). You can even see the gloves used to reach into the glass to study insects and hear the air condensers working!

The CM told us about Nemo's research into the sonic frequencies of crystals and studying the insects whose bodies light up to try to harness their power to provide light/electricity for the Research Station itself. We almost got to see Nemo, too...he had just walked away from a cigar and a snack before we got to his office. This is one queue detail that is wonderfully enhanced by the tour! Now, whenever I queue for JttCotE, I will feel like I "just missed" Captain Nemo! Something about his cigar and food, too, reminded me of chocolate chip cookies left out for Santa on Christmas Eve and really enhanced the magic of this area for me!^^

She also informed us that the Terravators were built because Nemo had discovered a natural tunnel in the caverns and expanded it. We even got to see plans for a bird-shaped flying machine that Nemo's been working on! He's already installed a landing pad for it out in the central plaza - just look for the big "N." I don't think this means an actual attraction is coming anytime soon, but I loved the depth of the tour story.^^ At the end of the tour, we were given the very rare opportunity to actually touch things inside one of the cases! That was fantastic! My stupid camera battery!!!

Finally though, I think the most surprising and subtle detail was explained not by the CM, but by our incredible "translator," an ex-CM in our group. He pointed out that the steam around the attraction, and all around Mysterious Island, is actually warm. I always thought it was just smoke from a fog machine, but this detail really brought home the Imagineers' obsession with detail at Tokyo DisneySea. It actually occurred to someone that some Guests might try to touch it, and if they did, it should be heated. Whoa.^^

PS: For fun, I'm adding a poll, too! What Queue Tours would you most like to see? I'm only putting TDS because, although there's great theming, I don't really think most of the TDL attractions have queues that actually immerse me in another place the way TDS attractions do...maybe it's just my memory, though...I don't go to TDL often.^^ The only queues I can even kind of remember are the three Mountains and Hunny Hunt. Oh, and Monsters, Inc. And this time, multiple choices are allowed, so pick all your favorites. Lemme know if I forgot a great queue somewhere.^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 06-22-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: There's almost literally nothing to see in the Magic Lamp Theater queue...dunno WHAT I was on about.^^

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: Queue Tours! Get the backstory! Enhance the attraction!^^

That is pretty awesome that they even bothered with a queue tour while the attraction was down. I mean, most closures are complete, it's a great little perk to get such a tour, and one more thing OLC does above the US parks. Although I think the US fans might just overwhelm a tour like this, which might be why they wouldn't offer one.

The detail about the steam is very interesting, and it really is impressive that they thought of that. They did try the steam thing with Expedition Everest, but too bad that effect doesn't work as it should anymore...like a lot of stuff on that poor attraction.

• Resident of the Caldera

I think the queue for Journey to the Center of the earth is pretty self explanatory if you take the time and look at the various "specimens" and journal pages in the offices.

There should be more to tell about the TOT.

I didn't see them offering this, I'm sorry I missed it.

If nothing else, the tour sounds like an imaginative way to keep repeat visitors interested in an attraction - it provides a whole new experience without really any additional cost.

Indy would be my preferred tour. Mainly because the one time I went on it, we got fast pass and literally only took under 5 mins to get through the queue. I never got a chance to look at all the detail throughout the queue and I wanna go back through it all.

But that is pretty awesome that they gave you a tour whilst it was down.

I would say JTTCOTE because of all the ehxibits and the elevater always makes it interesting.

Thumbs up Re: Queue Tours! Get the backstory! Enhance the attraction!^^

Quote Originally Posted by Another Voice View Post
    If nothing else, the tour sounds like an imaginative way to keep repeat visitors interested in an attraction - it provides a whole new experience without really any additional cost.
    I agree. I went again yesterday, and took my camera. Unfortunately, though, the CM didn't seem as patient as the first time and looked a bit visibly nervous about having a foreigner in the tour with no translator. Of course, all of that could just be in my head.^^ We definitely moved much faster through the tour than I had previously, and I'm not satisfied with any of these shots. Still, here you go.^^

I think this is, sadly, the best of the bunch. I'll only post a few.

Crystals and cauldrons remind me of Harry Potter...SOON!

Nothing says "research" like lots of beakers and test tubes!

Oooh...blurry!^^

This is some kind of insect research.

Such a rare opportunity. I wish I'd had more time.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 06-23-2009 at 07:10 AM.

• You have much to learn...

I wouldn't mind a tour of either Journey, 20,000 or Tower of Terror-Even not speaking or reading anything in Japanese, most of the queue tours seem to be pretty self explanitory- to me at least.The tower does offer the little pamphlet in english & much of the outside signage is in english as well. If you're a Jules Vern fan, there's really no needed explanation for Mysterious island attractions anyway.

I love the themed and detailed queue's. It's all those extra added details- that unfortunately many go by unnoticed, that make the attraction extra special- I love the backstories and taking my time experiencing them- rather than just rushing thru the line to ride the ride as many seem to do.

But it is neat that they offer the tours to those who actually miss out on experiencing the attraction itself- I'm sure they go into more detail about some of the actual items placed in the queue.

I take loads of photos as well while I'm there- too bad a few of Duffydads shots are a little blurry- but I don't know if it's my computer, the shots after the shot of your Duffy chillin out near the map never loaded- but thanks for posting them.

Talking Re: Queue Tours! Get the backstory! Enhance the attraction!^^

Hey, I warned you they were crappy pictures. My camera's an old point-and-shoot and I have NO skills. There are only six photos. I dunno what that weird space at the end was all about, but it's gone now.^^

I'm much more interested in taking a close look at all the exhibits. Like a good movie set, WDI layers details far deeper than you will ever see...and many of those details are jokes or "interesting". I'd love to read all the labels, book titles and the scribblings in the notebooks.

By the way, this may be some good news. Disney has stopped work on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo pending a re-write of the script (I read the thing, it truly is terrible). Better, it’s said that Will Smith, the director’s choice to play Nemo really isn’t interested in the project. And even better news, with the failure of Termination Salvation, the director – McG – (yes, he’s pretentious enough to give himself one of those names) – has dropped off Disney’s list of people they want on the project.

But in troubling news, Disney has really stopped development on all of their new moives. This means they won’t be buying scripts or setting up new deals at least until Fall. Furthermore, a lot of the big projects are now be reshuffled and panic is setting in. While Hollywood has been setting box office records for the first half of the year, Disney’s film profits fell 97%.

Desperate measures are now being taken to jump start the studio. Rumors are that The Lone Ranger is being pushed back so that Disney can rush Pirates of the Caribbean 4 into production. No script, no director, just Johnny Depp cashing a huge pay check. Disney will also push its inexpensive “theme park” movies forward – Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain and Big Thinder.

All in all – it’s looking much better than ever that Mysterious Island will escape being trashed in the name of synergy.
    Last edited by Another Voice; 06-23-2009 at 08:17 AM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Oh, Duffy's a bad boy, sneaking into the scenery like that...he could get in trouble with the CM! He's a rebel, that bear...

• Munchings & Crunchings

Still, thanks for the photos, even blurry ones. I just love the attention to detail Disney can put in a really good queue. It's funny because I think people have come to expect tht from them, but it's only been since the late 80's/early 90's that such immersive queues were done. I mean, the classic Disney attractions like Pirates and Haunted Mansion had interesting, and possibly atmospheric ones, but not quite as elaborate as say, Indy, or Splash Mountain. Especially at HM, where it's kind of a big switchback on the side of the house before you get inside.

Talking Re: Queue Tours! Get the backstory! Enhance the attraction!^^

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Oh, Duffy's a bad boy, sneaking into the scenery like that...he could get in trouble with the CM! He's a rebel, that bear...