Just back--large family had a great trip!

We were in the Tokyo area June 13-20 and had a truly splendid vacation. Thanks so much to this board for all the tips, advice, insight, etc. that helped us out immensely! We were a little nervous about maneuvering through Tokyo/TDR with four small kids but everything worked out really smoothly. It helped that the weather was just spectacular...other than not being able to view Mt. Fuji due to some clouds, we couldn't have asked for more ideal conditions. GORGEOUS!

After staying at a hotel in Hiroo and seeing some Tokyo/Hakone sights early in the week, we moved to the Sheraton at Disney for the rest of our trip. The Sheraton was beautiful; we had a family quad-bed room which was lovely and spacious and had a fabulous view. The service was amazing. We had some of our luggage transferred by the Black Cat and the rest checked in at the Welcome Center in Maihama Station and everything arrived in our room even before we did. The kids really enjoyed the Sheraton amenities--jammies, slippers, storybook, etc. They felt like royalty!
    We went to TDS on Wednesday afternoon/evening, TDL all day Thursday, and TDS most of Friday. Crowds at TDL were completely manageable--the longest we waited was 30 minutes for Pooh; everything else was either 10 minutes or less, or was easily fastpassed (Thunder Mountain, Splash, Buzz, Monsters Inc.). TDS was even better crowdwise...most everything was a walk-on or very minimal wait, other than Indy and ToT which were 20-30 minutes or an easy fastpass.

TDL was lovely; we're regular visitors to Disney parks and enjoyed the familiar rides as well as the fun surprises (Pooh!!). We were a little underwhelmed by the overall look of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland...we like them better at HKDL and DL in Anaheim. And the kids were disappointed that the Jungle Cruise didn't have HKDL's thrilling finale! But we have no real complaints!

TDS however was what really amazed us. WOW! I can't even express how impressed we were by the details, the other-worldliness, the great food, the uniqueness, the FUN. We were absolutely enchanted by Sindbad! (Still have that song running through my head). Aquatopia was a hit with the kids...must've gone on that thing 6 times. BraviSEAmo was mind-bogglingly gorgeous, the ToT theming was our favorite of any ToT (still creeped out by the idol). We loved the volcano and the whole "show" of its eruptions--flickering lights, earthquake sounds, and so on. I can't say enough. We have to go back!

Japan was a wonderful experience all around. We're a conspicuous family to begin with (some of us are Caucasian, some Asian, a couple with disabilities) but other than one lady who followed us in Harajuku with a camera with a really long lens, everyone just smiled and treated us as completely NORMAL. It was so nice to not be stared at, pointed at, as we have been in some of our travels. We were free to just enjoy! I feel so grateful and can't wait to go back for a longer period of time someday soon.

Thanks again for all the help!

Cat

• Not here to help

Re: Just back--large family had a great trip!

I will say this again... but...

Tokyo DisneySEA is like a great movie that one does not want to end. When it ends it leaves you thinking about those special moments and how everybody was a part of the magic.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CatFromOuterSpace View Post
    TDL was lovely; we're regular visitors to Disney parks and enjoyed the familiar rides as well as the fun surprises (Pooh!!). We were a little underwhelmed by the overall look of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland...we like them better at HKDL and DL in Anaheim. And the kids were disappointed that the Jungle Cruise didn't have HKDL's thrilling finale! But we have no real complaints!
    I agree with these statements. I particularly have mentioned the merits of HKDL against the criticism it gets from most... but no one believes me.

TDS however was what really amazed us. WOW! I can't even express how impressed we were by the details, the other-worldliness, the great food, the uniqueness, the FUN. We were absolutely enchanted by Sindbad! (Still have that song running through my head). Aquatopia was a hit with the kids...must've gone on that thing 6 times. BraviSEAmo was mind-bogglingly gorgeous, the ToT theming was our favorite of any ToT (still creeped out by the idol). We loved the volcano and the whole "show" of its eruptions--flickering lights, earthquake sounds, and so on. I can't say enough. We have to go back!
    I agree with these statements.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Cat,

I'm so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your trip to the Tokyo Disneyland Resort. Japan is such a wonderful and unique place and the parks are very much loved and respected not just by the guests but by its own management (which isn't always the case elsewhere).

Your reaction to Disney Sea is very much like my own. I was stunned by the sheer scope and detail of the park. In my mind, it is the single most beautiful and detailed theme park ever built. It is a REAL wonder of the modern world. I dream about that park all the time and long to return one day.

It was wonderful to read your report. If you have any photos, we'd be delighted to see them.

Thank you for reporting back to us from your amazing vacation!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Miss Bee Taylor

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! We were there only a month ago--and I already want to go back!

And--that idol kind of creeped me out too on TOT! We loved the whole theming though.
    Hopefully--we'll get to HKDL sometime soon.
    WDW-July 2010
    **Tokyo~Tokyo Disney Resort**May 25-June 3, 2009**

Disneyland--all the time (we're Californians)
    Disneyland Paris-2002
    WDW-1999, 2000
    DisneyCruise-2000

• Banned User

Aunt Bee.. the beauty of HKDL is that it's "this" close to one of the World's most dinamic and fabulous cities. If you ever do go to HKDL... do it first to see and experience Hong Kong.. then as an added treat, do HKDL on the side. I am returning to Hong Kong and HKDL this month a couple of times and have always been one of my favorite places to go to. Highly recommend it.

Wow, looking back at my post now I can see that it was more than a little gushy...we really did have a great time.

Thanks for your responses.

TDLFAN, I agree with your thoughts about Hong Kong/HKDL. Hong Kong has a certain dynamic magic to it that I have never felt anywhere else. HKDL is an excellent little treat among all the other wonderful things in this city.

Cat

• You have much to learn...

Thanks too for the great report- I hope to visit HKDL as well sometime soon, but keep wondering if I should wait for the new areas to open- but that's still years away & doesn't look as great as I thought it would be. I'm from NY and somhow Hong Kong even seemed to busy or crazy for me- but will get there someday.

There's just too much I want to do & not enough of time off from work to do it all.

So glad you enjoyed TDR & HKDL