Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb TDS "Story Papers" and 「Compass of the Heart」 in English!

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    They did not have the ToT guide when I went a couple of days ago so they told me that they would have it at Guest Relations. They have an entire envelope with different pamphlets for the rides in English!!! It is very nice! I have not checked TDL but I bet they have pamphlets for the attractions there too!
    Maybe that was after I went. I spent forever (poor CM) with my broken Japanese telling the CM at ToT that I wanted the "Story Papers" (that's what they called them^^) for every attraction that had one! She called to Guest Relations and they gave them to me in envelopes. I dunno if they always keep them as a set or if it's just cos we asked.^^

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    There are lots of printed "guides" to various attractions in English, or in English and Japanese. There is a set of four (all different!) for Fortress Exploration, four or five different maps (routes) for the Leonardo Challenge), one for Ariel's Playground in Mermaid Lagoon, the one you mentioned for Tower of Terror (my last trip in April was the first time I'd seen this) and the one for Sindbad. There should be one for Stormrider, however if you read the supertitles on the screens above you, you get the vital points of information...

...I discovered that the only vital bit of information is that you've expended all your power in shocking the giant squid and descend far down with no way to return to the surface until the mysterious creatures push you. Now I could see that we apparently lost power and felt a slight descent, and could also see that shadow on the wall of the creatures pushing our vehicle, but until my friend translated everything I couldn't put two and two together. But one sentence is all you really need to know.
    Thanks for the tip about 20K Leagues! That really did fill in the gap.^^

As I mentioned, I asked for a set of all of TDS' Story Papers. Here's what I got (with new, bigger, better photos!!!):

DisneySea Transit Steamer Line - looks like newspaper, has some Japanese

Venetian Gondolas - reminds me of old travel brochures

Tower of Terror - tour guide, of course

Storm Rider - also tour/demonstration guide

Journey to the Center of the Earth - research tour guide

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Nemo's new crew member info!

Mermaid Lagoon Theater
    - production program brochure

Mystic Rhythms - also production brochure

Indiana Jones Adventure - Paco's Temple Tour guide!

Raging Spirits - newspaper clipping

Magic Lamp Theater - this one would be better themed as a program for Shaban's Magic Show, I think. It really seems just for kids, but the artwork's cute.

Sindbad's Storybook Voyage - although I wish it folded neatly into an actual storybook (it almost does), I love this one the most and think it's the most useful. It provides English for both the lyrics to Compass of Your Heart and also Sindbad's lines throughout the different scenes in the attraction!

I'll post the lyrics, in case you still can't read the text. I'm also matching it up with the Japanese from an old MiceChat post by FabianFan. FabianFan's post is the Japanese and italicized "romaji." The bold part is taken directly from the SSA Story Paper, except the blue part which I tried to do myself via Perapera-kun, since it's not on the Story Paper. Enjoy!

(sung by chorus)
    青い空高く帆上げて, 水平線の彼方を目指せ
    aoi sora takaku ho agete, suiheisen no anata wo mezase
    夢のように光煌めく, 宝物が君を待つ
    yume no youni hikari kirameku, takaramono ga kimi wo matsu
    Lift your sails to the heavens, steer straight towards the horizon.
    A bright, shining dream - a treasure waits for you.

(sindbad solo)
    荒波が船を揺さぶり, 嵐が行く手阻んでも
    aranami ga fune wo yusaburi, arashi ga yuku tehabandemo
    恐れず進めば友達が, 手を差し伸べてくれるさ
    osorezu susumeba tomodachi ga, te wo sashinobetekureru sa
    Rough waves may toss your ship, storms may rage in your path.
    If you proceed without fear, friends will give you a hand.

風に吹かれ旅は続く, 舵を取れ希望を胸に
    kaze ni fukare tabi wa tsuzuku, kaji wo torekibou wo mune ni
    進めみんなを助けながら, 優しさと勇気忘れず
    susumeminna wo tasukenagara, yasashisa to yuuki wasurezu
    As the winds propel you on your journey, steer with anticipation and hope.
    Help everyone as you proceed, never forgetting kindness and courage.

Chorus:
    人生は冒険だ, 地図は無いけれど
    jin sei wa bouken da, chizu wa nai keredo
    宝物を探そう, 信じてコンパス・オブ・ユア・ハート
    takaramono wo sagasou, shinjite compass of your heart
    Life is an adventure, although there is no map.
    Seek the treasure and believe in the compass of your heart.

宝石や黄金より, 大事なものがある
    houseki ya ougon yori, daijina mono ga aru
    There is something more important than gems or gold.

人生は冒険だ, 地図は無いけれど
    jinsei wa bouken da, chizu wa nai keredo

何よりも大切な, 心の贈り物
    nani yori mo taisetsuna, kokoro no okurimono
    The most valuable thing is a gift from the heart.

ついに見つけたよ宝物, 宝石や黄金じゃなく
    tsuini mitsuketa yo takaramono, houseki ya ougon janaku
    旅の中で巡り合った, 素晴らしい僕の友達
    tabi no naka de meguriatta, subarashii boku no tomodachi
    At last we find the treasure, not gems or gold.
    It's the journey we take and the great friends we make along the way.

人生は冒険だ, 地図は無いけれど
    jinsei wa bouken da, chizu wa nai keredo

Found it at: http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/happymk88.../200803180000/

I think "follow the compass of your heart" is much better, actually, but that's not what the Story Paper says.^^

Oddly, they didn't include the ones for Fortress Explorations. I think I've seen those in the park. They hang on the wall in four pockets? I picked one up, but I didn't notice there were four different versions! New mission! They also didn't include Ariel's Playground... If you have that one, Fukai, could you post a photo, please?
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 07-06-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Updated photos!^^

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: TDS "Story Papers" and 「Compass of the Heart」 in English!

Hey, DD, you've got a few things shown that I didn't know existed. I'm going to make a beeline for Guest Relations in October!

• Resident of the Caldera

Interesting that they didn't give you the four different maps for Fortress Exploration--I wonder if that was done for a limited time. The regular maps were still in a holder on the walkway through the Fortress this past April.

This is just fabulous! Thanks so much!

Cat

• Munchings & Crunchings

Wow, thanks for posting pictures of all of those! They are very detailed for such a limited thing. Somebody got very creative witih them; I love that!

• You have much to learn...

That's pretty neat that they have so many different ones- I think I only knew of about 4 or 5 of them- This is something to look out for on my next trip as well. Thanks so much for taking the time to photo them and post them for us to see & for the translation.

• Banned User

I don't think at WDW, they would ever bother doing such nice things for guests of non-english languages.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I don't think at WDW, they would ever bother doing such nice things for guests of non-english languages.
    Very true, they barely update the guide maps in other languages...

• Miss Bee Taylor

Well--I am certainly glad I mentioned the TOT "story" I recieved from the CM that evening---so that we all could learn you could get them from each major attraction.

My girls would have loved to gotten the Sinbad one.
    All three of them loved that attraction! (and each one bought a Chandu item to remember it!).
    WDW-July 2010
    **Tokyo~Tokyo Disney Resort**May 25-June 3, 2009**

Disneyland--all the time (we're Californians)
    Disneyland Paris-2002
    WDW-1999, 2000
    DisneyCruise-2000

Thumbs up Re: TDS "Story Papers" and 「Compass of the Heart」 in English!

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Very true, they barely update the guide maps in other languages...
    To be fair, though, the number of people who speak English as a second language is also relatively high, while for Japanese, that number is comparatively far lower. These Story Papers are only provided in Japanese and English, so the English is not just for us native speakers. Also, since Disney comes from America, it's also true that English items are interesting to Japanese fans as well. Still, I'm curious if these are designed by Imagineers at Disney or in-house by OLC. I suspect the former. And if that is the case, it really is odd they don't provide these little Story Papers for attractions Stateside, at least in English as souvenirs.

I updated the photos, by the way, in case you missed it.^^ Now you can actually read most of them!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    To be fair, though, the number of people who speak English as a second language is also relatively high, while for Japanese, that number is comparatively far lower.
    Still... WDW gets visited by a fair amount of japanese and spanish speaking guests who do NOT speak english, and tools like the ones shown above do not exist at WDW. Only guidemaps in various languages are offered (much like TDR offers guidemaps in other asian languages) but there is no attraction/show specific information in foreign languages.. and that is the point I am making. Lucky for you, you won't have any problem enjoying WDW if you ever visit, but the average japanese guest at WDW will not be that fortunate.

This is great, thanks for sharing!

Question Re: TDS "Story Papers" and 「Compass of the Heart」 in English!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Still... WDW gets visited by a fair amount of japanese and spanish speaking guests who do NOT speak english, and tools like the ones shown above do not exist at WDW. Only guidemaps in various languages are offered (much like TDR offers guidemaps in other asian languages) but there is no attraction/show specific information in foreign languages.. and that is the point I am making. Lucky for you, you won't have any problem enjoying WDW if you ever visit, but the average japanese guest at WDW will not be that fortunate.
    Yeah, I totally agree with you. I wonder what percentage of WDW's total foreign visitors are Japanese? I bet it's relatively high, but I really have no idea. I think it would be great, especially considering what English-speakers get in Japan, to have more "perks" for the Japanese Guests in the US. I was just thinking that accommodating Japanese-speakers in an English-dominant country would require offering the same things for definitely Spanish, and probably Chinese and French as well, at the very least. In *lots* of places this is avoided by offering alternatives just in English to cover a large group of "foreigners." It just so happens that the broadest-reaching (government/technology/business/media) second language also happens to be the first language in the US. Very soon, this is going to be a SERIOUS handicap to the legions of American university graduates (like myself) who never bothered to be fluent in a second major language. Once every other country has effective English education systems in place, saying that you speak English is like, "Yeah...and?...that's it?...who doesn't?...what are you, from a cave or something?"^^ We will be 0% competitive very soon without taking this seriously. Yeah, but don't ask me about my Japanese ability.........

I'm curious. Do they even offer Story Papers in English at US parks, or is it a TDR thing? Maybe it'll catch on; have they always done it?
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 07-08-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: *gasp* I found TWO typos!...I know, I know...but it's my JOB!^^

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Those are so cool! I'd love a set for my small collection TDR goodies.

• Tomorrow's Child

The attention to detail in TDS never fails to amaze me, even more so with these.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast